PDA

View Full Version : Planning A Flight To Scotland

KEFALONIA
18th Oct 2005, 19:16
Planning a flight next month from High Wycombe to Edinburgh. Aircraft type b206 with 2 pax. Any advice for new low hour pilot.

wg13_dummy
18th Oct 2005, 19:54
Don't crash. Attitude, power, trim. Head North.

jemax
18th Oct 2005, 20:10
Land at Fife, last time I went it was £8 landing fee and you got a £5 voucher from that to spend on food.

Rhona will see you right, plus great Cappuchino.

Oh, and take enough money to buy your own round as theres c**k all chance of getting one bought for you;)

Enjoy and keep an eye on weather in Vale of York if you are going that way.

headsethair
18th Oct 2005, 22:04
Fife definitely pref to Edinburgh - but it is a 40 minute drive into the city.

There are a couple of gliding clubs south and west of Edinburgh - but they won't have that diesel stuff you burn. And if you're going to land anywhere without fuel, then it should be one of the many great hotels around the city with landing space.

keithl
19th Oct 2005, 10:46
You've very honestly described yourself as a new low-hours pilot.
I'm surprised, therefore, at the light-hearted tone of the replies you've received so far.

Too many relatively inexperienced pilots have crashed in the Scottish hills in poor weather. Don't underestimate either (the hills, or the wx). Chicken out early and don't go down any blind valleys.

The hills themselves make for very localised weather, which isn't always as forecast.

Enjoy the stunning scenery, but don't relax!

headsethair
19th Oct 2005, 11:49
The maps will show that you can refuel at Carlisle and head over the hills to Edinburgh. The reality is that the land south of Hawick appears to be a cloud magnet. Routing up the east coast via Newcastle is longer - but it has less high ground.
Last time I went was August Bank Holiday weekend - Hawick was a no-go and the SW "breeze" across the Cheviots made for a crab-like track from Newcastle to Edinburgh. It was 40 kts.

helicopter-redeye
19th Oct 2005, 12:49
The cloud round there is a bit dependent on the direction of the preveiling winds at the time, From Carlise one route is up the A74 (M74) then turn right before Glasgow.

Its a bit longer but the route is lower and may be clear while the 'direct' line is in clag.

But don't go if the forecast is bad over that section (or the Pennines getting to Carlise)

And remember it gets dark (a) early (b) quick in the winter.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Oct 2005, 13:22
Getting up through the North of England can be a bit painful at times unless weather is very good - it's all too easy to get lower and lower dodging airspace and low cloud until it all goes horribly wrong (which hopefully means an airspace enfringement or rapidly planned diversion).

My advice from Wycombe would be not to attempt a straight route, particularly at this time of year. Aim just south of Hawarden, then coast out about Prestatyn and head North across Morecambe bay, if anything goes wrong divert into Hawarden, Liverpool, Blackpool, Warton or at the other end Carlisle. Then route from North of Carlisle to Edinburgh. This avoids too much nasty navigation, high ground, difficult airspace, and shouldn't add more than about 20 minutes onto the whole trip.

Be prepared to divert or turn back at the drop of a hat, don't forget survival gear. If you aren't used to multi-hour legs, split it in two and stop for an hour en-route, it'll improve your personal performance throughout (not knowing the range and endurance of a B206 you may need to anyhow). Don't PLAN to use Blackpool if you can avoid it, it's not user friendly - Carlisle is much less hard work.

Although I've not actually been into Edinburgh, I know the rest of the route pretty well and am just in the process of buying a (plank) share at Wycombe. If you want to ply me with tea and biscuits in the clubhouse and talk through your route, etc. I'd be glad to come over for an hour or two.

G

jemax
19th Oct 2005, 17:12
Blimey, you really can't say anything, just trying to inject a little humour, there is plenty of sensible advice coming through too!

Get a grip!

wg13_dummy
19th Oct 2005, 17:22
Blimey.

I would have thought the right people to ask would be blokes at the Heli/pilots operating base or a nearby field, not an internet site. I don't think Pprune can be used as witness in the event of an incident. :confused:

float test
19th Oct 2005, 20:34

BOLL**KS its not user friendly, Its a dam site more friendly than Wycombe. with the wicked witch of wycombe on ATC

The field is used mostly by training schools, helicopters are more than welcome, there are three helicopter flight schools there and if you have to divert there is no landing fees.

The weather north of blackpool can be extreme this time of year, ive not flown that way since i worked the golf at muirfield and it was extremely poor weather

Be carefully and remember you have the abillity to land at anytime

SilsoeSid
19th Oct 2005, 21:25
Remember, you always have the option to stop and land.
Don't be afraid to do it. Just watch out for wires.

Take a flask, a couple of choccie bars, a mobile phone, a handful of change and a good book.
If you land unplanned, let ATC know

If in doubt, bottle out!!

http://bestsmileys.com/havenice/2.gif

SS

p.s. wg_13 has a good point. Ask those around you that you know!

Genghis the Engineer
19th Oct 2005, 22:37
float test, I challenge you to get a decent lunch in the terminal at Blackpool. Also I've run up 0.4 on the Hobbs at Blackpool getting fuel, and I object to that. Strongly.

Of course use it if it's there and there's no reasonable choice, but I'd take Carlisle any day.

I've not met the wicked witch of Wycombe, but can only say on my handful of visits over the last couple of years, whilst I've been greavously overcharged each time, the actual service was friendly and professional in the extreme. I cannot, sadly, say the same of Blackpool.

G

Floppy Link
20th Oct 2005, 08:42
Aye
see EESDL's thread a while back about Blackpool - wasn't impressed with the service...

Blackpoool just lost another business user (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182707)

But make your own mind up, do it and let us know how you get on!

My memories of Blackpool are from the good old days on the F27 with Jersey European. 8 sector days out of Derry when the Shorts was u/s or the loads were big. Kind of all merged into one...
DerryBelfastIsleofManBlackpoolIsleofManBelfastDerry

Plus the bacon rolls we got at BLK were lovely - brought out by the agent. Until I almost choked to death turning onto the localiser at Ronaldsway. That fixed wing stuff is bad for your health!
:ok: