PDA

View Full Version : 1 Time in Baghdad !!

PW118
18th Oct 2005, 14:19
I spotted 1 TIME'S DC9 Reg: ZS-ANX in Baghdad today.
Didn't have a chance to speak to the crew, just heard that they were on the way back to Kuwait !!

1 Time going international ??????

Untill NEXT TIME ...

lambert
18th Oct 2005, 17:57
TO ALL ONE TIME PILOTS AND MANAGEMENT (AND SAA, COMAIR, NATIONWIDE AND ANY OTHER COMPANIES WHO DO THE ODD CHARTER)

In terms of the Prohibition of Mercenary Activity and Prohibition and Regulation of certain Activities in an area of Armed Conflict Bill, 2005, if the bill had already been passed and become an act, One Time would quite possibly have been guilty of a henious crime if this flight had taken place without Government sanction (who knows how long such a dispensation will take to obtain - and there will be a fee attached).

Wake up everybody, the SA government is about to put a huge spanner in the charter/contract industry which will certainly make our tasks even more full of red tape (unless we want to fly for the PLO or some other organisation of "freedom fighters").

VTS
18th Oct 2005, 19:42
:} :} :} .....NANDOS in Baghdad ????.....:} :} :}

Captain Pheremone
19th Oct 2005, 00:02
%$$^&%$ so you saying a decent law abiding citizen can't make an honest buck in that area even if he is not involved in conflict>>??????

Sheeeeezzzz just now they gonna start taking out guns away......!!!!!!

.....maybe even some farms!!!!!!!

napoleon
19th Oct 2005, 04:24
Carrying de-minning personel and equipment to a proclaimed conflict area would be in contravention of:
REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA
PROHIBITION OF MERCENARY ACTIVITY AND PROHIBITION AND REGULATION OF CERTAIN ACTIVITIES IN AN AREA OF ARMED CONFLICT BILL, 2005

George Tower
19th Oct 2005, 08:12
Perhaps 1-Time have gone to Baghdad to find a friend for Mr Jean-Bertrand Aristide. Surely this exiled despot must be getting a bit lonely in his retirement.....only suprised to see that ZS-RSA isn't doing the trip.
:E

Talking of the Baghdad's most successful butcher.....what a crazy world - "human rights" lawyers now suing British newspapers for printing pics of him in his undies. The mind well and truly boggles:mad:

Jangys
20th Oct 2005, 12:13

What if this particular flight was chartered by "South African Government" what would you say then?????

Just because it is a ONE TIME AIRCRAFT, it does not nessesarily mean ONE TIME did the flight.........

Go search the ownership of this aircraft and you would really see who it belongs to.

lambert
20th Oct 2005, 18:02
Go read the bill.

As I read it, even the SA Government (and that includes the SANDF) would have to apply for authorization!

This is really a stupid piece of legislation.

napoleon
21st Oct 2005, 05:07
It was a Global aviation flight and they were flying for a Mozambique entity not the RSA govt.......hence a contravention of the act.........take care!!

orgasmotron
21st Oct 2005, 05:53
I believe one of the pilots operating this flight for GAL aviation was Neil Steyl. Might just be a rumour, but if it is true, and taking into account the new act as mentioned in earliar posts, it is obvious that some oaks just don't learn. Neil just did 16 months in a Zim jail for similar activities...

Niel
21st Oct 2005, 06:20
I was in Zim prison for 17 months, need to earn a few $ now. If someone wants to put me back in prison for delivering de-mining dogs to Baghdad - GO FOR IT.........

Deanw
21st Oct 2005, 07:19
Welcome Niel! :ok:

Niel
21st Oct 2005, 09:29
Thanx, it's great to be back in the saddle after 17 months behind bars. Life is not a spectator sport, got to go out there and "JUST DO IT"

Niel
21st Oct 2005, 12:24
I'm in the dog flying business - "Dogs of War".........." Sniffer dogs"....etc.

Gunship
21st Oct 2005, 13:28
Welcome "back" Niel ! :ok:

Captain Pheremone
21st Oct 2005, 15:41
Now there is a name I am glad to see back in the aviation scene.

Good on ya mate....and if you need a co-pilot anytime .......anywhere....I will fly with you!!!!!!

Screw the rest.

Stayinalive
22nd Oct 2005, 08:44
Just working for the post office here probably puts you at risk for investigation. Who said the old days are over? Pretty soon we are going to have the spys out checking where aircraft are leaving for and returning from.
Sign of a goverment trying to hide their own indiscretions by shining a light over the private sector in the interests of protecting their own shortcomings.
Surely it is illegal to protect and further the interests of a mad and incompetant dictator like Bob up north for so long thats in contravention of world human rights standards.
No doubt we will have aid being flown here in the next ten years if we dont stand up and say NO more!! We have a right to work where and when we want within the confines of normal decency.
Oh yeah....where is Jacob now? In the dwang I think....and he was second in charge!!!!:uhoh:

Skande...sies!!

gofor
22nd Oct 2005, 11:21
Was it not Air Aquarius (sp?) that had Fokkers up that way- no surprise then to see a DC9 owned by an ex aforementioned operator in Iraq.

Oh and Niel, welcome to your first postings - surely it should be Neil (sp?) - nothing wrong for a quick stir on the Rumour network:cool:

jonathanm5
22nd Oct 2005, 14:37
Hi Niel,

Are you flying for 1Time fulltime?:zzz:

I.R.PIRATE
22nd Oct 2005, 22:54
OK so let me be the ****...Werent you a naughty boy Niel....I just battle to understand why you are the hero??

Niel
22nd Oct 2005, 23:30
No, workin for GAL

Niel
23rd Oct 2005, 06:44
I know I am no hero, just a regular pilot. People differ, maybe I'll be prepared to do a flight, that you won't, and if you think that's naughty, so be it. As long as I don't come to you and cry about the consequences afterwards, and I promise you I am not.

I.R.PIRATE
23rd Oct 2005, 10:20
Very well said....my curiosity is satiated.:ok:

Maurice Chavez
23rd Oct 2005, 14:05
Hey Niel, hows Dorothy doing and Vossie??

napoleon
23rd Oct 2005, 16:37
Im just a regular pilot!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who are you trying to kid? At best you have shown a cavalier attitude towards law and order not to mention poor judgement. Be you ever so big you aint above the law no matter how long yah bin in jail and no matter where it was. Wind you neck in before someone does it for you!

Niel
24th Oct 2005, 06:49
The death sentence would have been much more appropriate.

24th Oct 2005, 08:45
Niel....I like your honesty (hence the mixed messages you are getting) but not your record (as you live in Africa so must you abide by Africa). You did time so you have paid the price. Sniffer dogs and all, have you learned your lesson?

krobar
24th Oct 2005, 09:19
I suppose we'll be seeing a lot of de-mining crews surfacing outta SA soon. I hear Iraq's been heavily mined...

Niel
24th Oct 2005, 12:27
I don't recall a Vossie or Dorothy ?? -
Napoleon, you're 100% correct, and maybe it's a good thing, that there are people like you around, otherwise life would be just too damn exciting........

Baas
24th Oct 2005, 18:12
Napoleon! "Wind your neck in"

Now who are you in real life? Hiding behind your computor and making these remarks??? You are a "SAD" person, remember SA is a small country my friend...!

I.R.Pirate! "I just battle to understand why you are the hero??"

The same goes for you my "computor finger happy tjom"!

You boys be careful out there, now go to bed and read your lucky stars!

Die Baas!

Niel, welcome back, I will contact the family to get your new number!

Have Fun!!

napoleon
25th Oct 2005, 05:09
Niel!! was that a Freudian slip there?

Baas! you ask what am I? well I have been in the same business as Niel but I havent been caught yet.

Nellis
25th Oct 2005, 06:08
Neil,

Nice to see you are back in the cockpit. Forget about the rest of the ar**holes who have nothing better to write about. At least some of the guys prefer being taxi drivers, it makes life for those of us prepared to do the out of ordinary work more in demand. Cheers to you!!

Nellis

I.R.PIRATE
25th Oct 2005, 10:24
Im just fascinated by the attitude of the " oud stryders " in here. Never heard such bigamist crap in my life before. Screaming about the decline of the legal system, and the corruption of the law, now let a whitey CHOOSE to appear on the wrong side of the law....woe betide those who condemn a WHITE criminal....Its laughable fellows, come right!!

Baas
26th Oct 2005, 07:06
I R Pirate...!

I see you have become a "JUDGE" now, fabulous tjom!

Who is talking about criminals? Who is talking about "Hero’s"?

Please point the obvious out?

Your attitude will bring you now where, only exposing your "in experience" in these matters, shooting your mouth is dangerous!

The WANNABEES of life...! eishhhh!

You behave now and focus on your carreer Boeta!

Baas.

:ok:

I.R.PIRATE
26th Oct 2005, 10:02
Eish, ok Baas, sorry Baas.

Shame baas

pmsl

ps: damn right shooting your mouth is dangerous. Youve been reading the book of the blatantly obvious.

james ozzie
26th Oct 2005, 10:08
Whoa there - slow down folks...

I, like most of us out here, do not know the full story of Niels troubles, other than what a proven unreliable press has said.

I do not think any of us have a right to pronounce judgment on him.

However, we should note that he paid a massive price by serving that time; our bad words here are really nothing after what he has been through.

Whatever we may think of what he was involved in, we owe him respect for accepting the consequences.

napoleon
26th Oct 2005, 13:40
Whatever we may think of what he was involved in, we owe him respect for accepting the consequences.
I have to admit I second that!!

I.R.PIRATE
26th Oct 2005, 14:44
Damn right Napoleon

African Tech Rep
26th Oct 2005, 16:42
Niel – everyone seems to accept you are “the” Neil, so I will as well.

I have nothing to say about your previous exploits until we have heard your side (if I missed it point me in the direction will you)

I will say though read up on this new Act – it does affect everyone – and with your record you wouldn’t get leniency for a first time offence.

OK – I’m getting a bit more of an idea – but will someone please tell me who exactly GAL is ? – a search seems to give everything with GAL in it (ie legal) and I’m relatively new down here.

The main point would be is it a private “anything anywhere anytime outfit” or government linked ?
I used to work for small ad hoc outfit in the UK – we occasional got “strange” jobs via the government – nothing knowingly illegal but things for various reasons they didn’t want to use military planes for and our old things fitted the bill.
On the other hand we had an on/off survey pilot who popped down here every six months or so and somehow made LOTS of money – he was also really good pilot – only came close to killing me a few times :sad:

crause
27th Oct 2005, 10:42
:ok: Well said Niel welcome back !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jangys
28th Oct 2005, 06:34
The UN DC9 operating in Afghanistan with South African crew, is that also in cotravention of this act?

The Cessna Caravans and King Air's etc. operating in Sudan for the UN, is that also not in cotravention of this said act?

Any South African for that matter, flying for "South African" operators in service of the UN, does that not put them in the same spot as:

"Assisting in a conflict area"

What about our SANDF members serving in Burundi etc. NAPOLEON, youre rightly said that this act is binding to ever-one even the South African Government.

Please explain MR. EXPERT NAPOLEON!!!!!!

lambert
28th Oct 2005, 08:01
You have got it exactly right. How many people have sent in submissions to Parliament in this regard? As soon as the bill is passed (and then becomes an act), everybody involved in humanitarian aid operations in conflict zones will have to get dispensation (after paying the "prescribed fee") and who knows how long it will take the committee to process each and every application (including from all the support staff back in SA!) Please note that the dispensation will not be transferable, so after waiting months to go on one contract, you will have to wait months to go on the next (if you are approved).

This is going to seriously affect the South African contracting business.

Hier kom groot k*k!

Beta Light
28th Oct 2005, 08:31
Look like you are ill informed I.R. Pirate& NAPOLEON. Neil was / is just a freelance pilot doing a charter. If I was home and had the phone call to do the charter I would have gone.

A NOTOC ( Notice to Captain) is just that, you don't have to inspect the load. Same with a Dang. Goods dock, it is just to advice you of the loading position in case you need to advice fire service. Do you inspect your load or investigate your client / pax every flight?
Hindsight is 20/20 buddy.

Welcome home Neil and crew, although we never met, Ken was my F.E. on couple of flight's back in SAFAIR, a true gentleman.

I.R.PIRATE
28th Oct 2005, 10:43
Uuhmm Beta Light, lets get one quick thing straight . Ill informed is not quite the right term in this specific case. Well maybe in a few aspects. Where did the aircraft depart from? What did they declare in Zim? I was involved in this aircraft's movements, until a certain point, where I decided that it was just silly. So ill informed, maybe....or maybe not??

napoleon
28th Oct 2005, 16:19
BETA LIGHT As Niel found out "Im just the pilot" dont cut it and thats a fact he can attest to. Get real.

Jangys:
down load the act if you havent done so and read it!! you will see we are all doomed to either working out side the law or submitting to this insane act. And yes as the act is drafted even when our leader departs to Cote dIvoire with his armed thugs he is breaking the law......but then thats what memberts of our Govt do with such panache these days.

African Tech Rep
28th Oct 2005, 17:02
Napoleon – it don’t cut it – but could be closer to the truth than everyone on board knew the entire plan.
Without his input we will never know if what happened to him was justified or he was just a victim of politics.

We can though be relatively sure those on the plane were “workers” and not really the “planners” / bosses – these people seem to have got off lightly.

As to the act considering the number of “areas of conflict” there are I think we all should just stay at home.

Sea Duck L-16
30th Oct 2005, 07:16
Thanks Crause, Well said.

We are all glad to see Niel back in the air.

Niel, Enjoy the flying, Will go for a flip in the 172 with you when Im back home again. For now things here are Quiet, had some rain so we going to be busy spraying.

Chat Later!!!:D