PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Jet in Emergency Landing

Alien Sex God
18th Oct 2005, 11:21
Hey! I beat everyone!

Qantas jet makes emergency landing
From correspondents in Kolkata
18oct05

A QANTAS aircraft carrying 389 passengers and crew has made an emergency landing at Kolkata Airport in India after the pilot saw smoke billowing from the rear of the aircraft.

The Boeing 747 was en route from Singapore to London when the pilot requested permission to land at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport in this eastern Indian city, said airport director V K Monga. ?Close to noon, the pilot requested an emergency landing saying the fire alarm in the cockpit was beeping. The plane landed safely and everyone is safe'', an Airports Authority official said. The NDTV television station reported that the authorities were trying to find whether there was a short-circuit or an electrical fault in the aircraft. Officials said arrangements were being made for the airline to leave for Singapore.

Capt Fathom
18th Oct 2005, 11:26
the pilot saw smoke billowing from the rear of the aircraft
And a very talented pilot he must have been to see that! :\

swh
18th Oct 2005, 11:55
Geez, another blown Thronomister.

Passengers told of their terror aboard a London bound Qantas flight which was advised it was in the best interests of the plane to return to the ground yesterday due to small bits falling off and smoke billowing from the rear of the aircraft.

Some passengers were concerned that the 943 passengers were told few details of the calamity.

They said the plane 'Dropped out of the sky like a mouse chasing a piece of cheese' before turning around.

As a precaution, fire trucks were on standby when the Boeing 2000 landed.

Passenger Richard Smith last night was still recovering from the ordeal.

'I was completely terrified until the wheels touched the ground', the passenger said.

From http://radans.net/jens/planestory.html

blueloo
18th Oct 2005, 12:24
ABC NEWS ONLINE

Last Update: Tuesday, October 18, 2005. 9:31pm (AEST)

Smoke alarm diverts Qantas flight
A Qantas flight has been diverted to India after a mid-air incident

Flight Q-F10 was en route from London to Singapore when a smoke alarm relating to the video system went off.

Qantas says the captain decided to make an unscheduled landing at Calcutta as a precaution.

Arrangements are being made to accommodate the passengers as engineers check the plane.

"The passengers seemed scared but there was no panic," an air traffic control official told Reuters.

Sunfish
18th Oct 2005, 20:26
Overheated Thronomister?

VH-Cheer Up
18th Oct 2005, 20:29
These things never happened when the IFE consisted only of beer and a pack of airlne playing cards.

king oath
18th Oct 2005, 22:21
An unscheduled landing in India would create the biggest pile of paperwork in aviation history.

When it comes to bureoucratic duck shoving and paperwork creating they make Yes Minister look like amateurs. Hope the crew makes it out alive.

peuce
18th Oct 2005, 23:09
I propose that the word "Thronomister" be banned from use in PPRUNE

qcc2
19th Oct 2005, 00:13
is the rego known?

tinpis
19th Oct 2005, 00:29
I propose that the word "Thronomister" be banned from use in PPRUNE

I agree.
Unless substantial royalties are paid to the author.:hmm: :E

Capt Fathom
19th Oct 2005, 01:18
is the rego known?
Yes...it's been painted on the fuselage since new!:E

Natit
19th Oct 2005, 03:02
Maybe they just wanted a curry?

Bolty McBolt
19th Oct 2005, 05:03
Ok the drum is.. OJ? is the 10 out bouund from the old dart.
X number of hours into the flight to singapore.
Smoke then flames seen coming from above the self service bar on 2 left.
Action stations..flames extinguished with the use of fire extingisher and light switch.
Incendiary divice found to be overdriven lighting system as fitted to this companies A/C and no other. Lights turned off but this does not remove power to LED unitsC/Bs pulled...therefore the diversion as no lighting control in case of decompression etc
Apparently this unreliable and much maligned lighting system was onnly ever tested in a house in texas which burned down due to spontaneous ignition of an architrave......

brief but you get the gist..

Redstone
19th Oct 2005, 05:11
Bolty, is that the new generation mood lighting that heavily relies on parallel wound thronomisters in the field windings?

I have heard that this tecnology is unreliable and fancifull in its application to provide the apropriate mood for customers........ IRATE!

hangar 9
19th Oct 2005, 07:04
Qantas got the LED lighting system at a fire sale, very cheap.

SkySista
19th Oct 2005, 08:05
Love the way one of the news bulletins here reported it this morning (possibly CH7)..

the intonation of the newsreader and the wording seemed to imply that the media thought it was all a big overreaction on the part of the crew... perhaps also an inconvenience to the pax...

I wanted to ring them up and tell them these few words:

SWISSAIR 111

Good job guys, get it down asap is what you're told and trained to do. You can worry whether there was actually a fire or not once you ON the ground.... :ok:

*Lancer*
19th Oct 2005, 08:41
OJK

Arrived in Singapore about 5 hours late.

1279shp
19th Oct 2005, 20:42
A Singapore-bound Qantas Boeing 747-400 with 389 passengers made an emergency landing in the eastern Indian city of Kolkata on Tuesday after pilots reported a smoke alarm, airport officials said.

But there was no fire or smoke detected on the aircraft and all passengers and crew were safe.

"The passengers seemed scared but there was no panic," an air traffic control official said.

The Boeing 747 had taken off from London.

(Reuters)

State the facts and don't embellish

Arm out the window
19th Oct 2005, 20:51
That reporter should be struck off the register!!!
Where's the stricken plunging jet or the terrified passengers who thought they were about to die?!

inthefluffystuff
19th Oct 2005, 22:42
Capt. Fathom

Good one, gave my a laugh (re painted on since new)