PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

Flyer14
18th Oct 2005, 08:47
Good day everyone, I'm new to this website. I need advice from some of the more senior guys. I am a newly qualified CPL. I have been offered a desk job at one of the larger jet operators. However it is a stressful and time-consuming position, and the prospects of getting into the cockpit would only happen after I got an ATP license. My dilema is that while the experience would no doubt be valuble I'm worried about the amount of spare time I'll have to fly bearing in mind my flying hours are quite low. Will this oppurtunity assist me or delay my flying career. my ultimate aim is F/O of a jetliner. Thank you to all who respond.

Frogman1484
18th Oct 2005, 10:37
Mate, get your butt in a cockpit, you cannot log desk time!
It will delay you without a doubt.

cheers

King Red
18th Oct 2005, 12:04
Dam right.

All said and done, get a foot in the door any which way you can. If it means driving a desk for a while while you sus out the scene then so be it but dont be so good at your job that you never get promoted / demoted to the desk in the sky.

Take it if all else fails and keep your ears open. At least this way you are in the loop. Plenty of chaps started behind the desk are now flying big desks in the sky, with computers nogal.

sky waiter
18th Oct 2005, 12:52
Agree any job is better than no job so drive the desk and get some sort of foot in the door better than being a waiter. :}

Frogman1484
18th Oct 2005, 13:23
No I do not agree....go and fly do what ever you need to do to get your hours up!!!
Sitting behind a desk will not get you in a flight desk, you need the hours not the be in the loop stuff.
You can be in the loop but unless you have the hours to get the flying position, you will not be able to take the oportunity that you were in the loop for.

enough said

PW118
18th Oct 2005, 14:11
I agree with Frogman1484.
Get out there and get some flying experience first whether it be Instruction, Bush type flying or any type of flying for that matter.
I know plenty of guys that have been offered Desk positions at our local airlines and have sat there for 2 years plus waiting to fly!

Good luck

Flyer14
18th Oct 2005, 18:39
Thanks guys for the advice, I've liased with some other guys and they also reckon getting the flying experience was more important. So looks like instructors for me. Thanks again.:ok: