PDA

View Full Version : QR diversions to Damman

mutt
18th Oct 2005, 05:04
Accoding to newspaper reports, about 6 QR flights diverted to Damman on Sunday due to low visibilty in Doha.

I'm sure that DMM is a last resort alternate, but I'm just wondering what happens to the passengers once they land there. Its not as if they can wander around the duty free and restaurants! :)

Mutt

A300Man-2005
18th Oct 2005, 09:46
Pax generally stayed on board as the ground time delay was quite short in some cases (around 1 hour).

Bahrain also accepted various diversions from Doha due to fog.

rsoman
18th Oct 2005, 19:07
Heard the Male flght diverted to TRV today.

A300Man-2005
19th Oct 2005, 06:40
Inbound or outbound? Due to Wx?

28one-to-nine
19th Oct 2005, 08:27
Did not realise the weather was that bad.

Just how bad can the weather get in the gulf and the middle east. I thought it was just hot and humid the whole year round.

SecurID
19th Oct 2005, 08:43
Some of the worst thunderstorms that I have flown around, where sitting on top of Dubai. Some of the worst fog that I have experienced has also been in Dubai. It's not all blue skies and sunshine here.

golfwidower
19th Oct 2005, 09:08
I'd be surprised if they are allowed to even wander about. However, if they are, there's plenty of space!

loc22550
19th Oct 2005, 17:47
...and according the new qr reducing fuel policy (take minimum fuel , contigency reduced now to 3%....whatīs next.),i will not be surprised to see more diversion as well...........!Wait and see...
We can feel that those new stupid procedures are made by people who donīt fly that much!
Cheers.

Is diverting a aircraft cheeper than take a few tons more....?
(well for crew cost it doesnīt change anything as we are not paid anyway for extra hours like for a diversion)

oryxbollocks
22nd Oct 2005, 03:41
Good question 'loc' and one that should be answered promptly by Flight Ops. "Is diverting cheaper than a few tons more?"

A company cannot have a 'fuel policy' based around a few trite words in the FCom and some changes to the Flight Plan. Otherwise pilots will continue to carry 'a few tons more'.

Just consider the cost of carrying a 'few tons more' particularly on QR long range flights every day. Not just in monetary terms but also in wastage of resources?

A professional operation means carrying fuel when considered necessary with the airline accepting the odd diversion will happen if the forecast is wrong.

GB

(You might just care to check regarding being paid for diversions. I was told we do? Whether that's true and/or how the pay is calculated, I don't know?)