PDA

View Full Version : Osaka get together - Friday 28th, or Sat 29th of October??

Kaptin M
18th Oct 2005, 00:16
It seems that although many of us gaijin work out of the same airport - Itami - getting to actually meet one another, except over the airwaves, has not happened.

So how about we set a date from one of those listed below,
Friday, October 28, or,
Saturday, October 29,
at say 7:30 pm on, in one of the bars at Itami Airport - this was about the most central place I could think of (apart from somewhere at Senri Chuo), as a rendezvous point.

If anyone's interested, please post on this thread with your preferred date.
Once there is at least one response, then I'll do a reccy at the airport to pin the bar to a specific one.

This might also qualify as the first PPRuNe JAPAN BASH, thereby entitling us to the usual fantastic subsidies and incentives that Danny generously provides on such historic occasions :ok: :uhoh:

NZLeardriver
18th Oct 2005, 04:45
Sounds good.
The Friday works better for me. Could do Saturday but will be a couple of hours late.
Looking forward to the usual fantastic subsidies and incentives :D

Happybear
19th Oct 2005, 13:45
I finish work on the 29th at 1850 from the blue side of the terminal. Always up for a beer, especially after work. Let me know if anyone wants to hook up Saturday.

Prince of Dzun
21st Oct 2005, 10:24
NZleardriver:

Here's something for you to chew over at the Osaka get together. It concerns a morsel of little known Japanese history that as an American who I assume follows baseball should find of interest.

Around 1940 (pre Pearl Harbour) the Japanese government made a very careful study of cricket and baseball and decided that baseball was the game for the youths of Japan. Immediately this was known stories began to circulate within the expatriate community that the decision was reached on the assumption that baseball would give superior training in the throwing of hand grenades.

History has proven that the suspicions of the foreign residents was justified. Trust you have an enjoyable evening.

Prince of Dzun

BlueEagle
21st Oct 2005, 11:26
If you are really interested in the Japanese mind I suggest you get your hands on a book called, "Secret Servants". It shows how the Japanese people, for at least five thousand years, have been conditioned to report back everything they see as a gesture of loyalty to the Emperor. Long before Pearl Harbour the laundry's were reporting back the tags in the shirts and this told the Japanese just who was in port and who wasn't, it also gave them the opportunity to work out, over a period of time, just when the ships would be back!:(

Probably out of print by now but still a very good read.

Kaptin M
21st Oct 2005, 12:17
I just can't IMAGINE any Western superpower using those same logistics and calculations, Bluey......can YOU??!! :eek:

Nice bit of info, PoD, but wasn't - and isn't - baseball the home grown game of the Yanks?
A nation of grenade throwers?

Sumo is probably the best known Japanese sport, closely followed by kara-te, and ju-do (ju-jitsu).

Unfortunately, American influence has been widespread, but embraced because of its associated, seemingly political freedom.......................................

......................and all of this has NOTHING to do with an intended get together of happily oppressed gaijin in Osaka.

Any more takers?
So far, I've got one for Friday night, and one for Saturday night.

Anyone care to cast a deciding ballot?

p.s. I'll be bringing several nubile, female "work associates".

AtoBsafely
21st Oct 2005, 21:09
'p.s. I'll be bringing several nubile, female "work associates".'

Now you're talking!! See you there!

Joe

Prince of Dzun
22nd Oct 2005, 06:48
Blue Eagle:
"Secret Servants" sounds an interesting publication. With a book like that one could keep dissenters such as Kaptain M and NZLeardriver right up on their tip toes. i'll have a look through Amazon and Abe to see if it's available.

Kapitan M:
You say "and all this has nothing to do with an intended get together." Of course you are perfectly correct but I'll bet London to a brick that from now on every time you or NZLeardriver watch a game of Japanese baseball you will think of hand grenades. That in itself is something achieved. Selamat Jalan.

Prince of Dzun

Kaptin M
23rd Oct 2005, 04:20
After some reconnaissance work around Itami, I'd like to nominate the AVION Bar & Restaurant on the 3rd level of Itami Airport as the venue.
It has a bar overlooking the airport, a smoking and non-smoking section, and a good variety of food at reasonable prices.

The date - Friday, 28th October
................................................(sorry Happybear, hope you can still make it), due to several other peoples' work commitments that encroach on the following night.

The time - 1830/1900 - the place closes at 2100, along with the rest of the airport.

Below is a photo of AVION
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/hanmersprings/ItamiAirportSun23rdOctober2005013.jpg

Kaptin M
25th Oct 2005, 07:44
Would you All Nippon chaps mind spreading the word amongst the other gaijin working with you, about this, please.
Much appreciated - the more the merrier.

CU there.

NZLeardriver
26th Oct 2005, 03:26
Friday it is then.
So who will be there? What will the ratio of nubile, female "work associates" to Pruners be?

Prince, any chance of you joining us? I did not know that about Japanese baseball and grenades. Got an interesting first hit when I typed "japanese baseball grenade" into google.

Kaptin M
27th Oct 2005, 09:07
Just wondering if anyone besides NZLd, a few nubiles, and a spattering of gaijin from JEX have plans to rendezvous at AVION on the appointed date?

Prince of Dzun
27th Oct 2005, 10:36
NZLeardriver:
Much as I would like to I'm afraid I can't make it. The conversation between us would sure to be stimulating as there is much I would like to discuss with you modern Japan flyers. Things such as the night circling approach to RW14 at Itami (Otami), the pleasure of Tomkatsu and of course that bandit Koizumi. I looked up the "Japanese baseball grenade" Google site and found it most interesting. My information on the subject came from the autobiography of an American attached to your diplomatic corps in Tokyo who was there at the time the rumours circulated. The Google reference to the Japanese ceramic hand grenade described as the "size of a baseball" is pertinent. Did you see the following which was mixed up with the grenade particulars. Quote: "Future prime minister said if he were prime minister he would go to Yasakuni Shrine as prime minister and not as himself. This is in contrast to Koizumi who goes as himself and not as prime minister. This all makes sense only if you have been in Japan too long." unquote.
Trust you enjoy the get together but you had better look after that polemic obdurate colleague of ours Kapitan M. Tying him to the mast should keep him safe. Regards

Prince of Dzun

Kaptin M
27th Oct 2005, 11:02
A polemic obdurate?
You are too kind, your Highness :E
polemic (http://www.polemic.sk/)

Prince of Dzun
28th Oct 2005, 05:42
Kapitan M;

Terima kasih tuan untuk pujia, budak perempuan cantik, minuman bagus, makanan bagus, suka malam. Selamat tinggal.

Prince of Dzun.

Prince of Dzun
28th Oct 2005, 11:23
Blue Eagle;

You run a tight ship if you are prepared to deny two old Malaysian hands the pleasure of a greeting in a language they remember with affection. For you the translation goes;

Kapitan M,
Thank you for your remarks, pretty womem, good drink, good food so enjoy the evening. See you.

Prince of Dzun.

BlueEagle
28th Oct 2005, 11:30
Like I said Prinz, Danny's rules. I had no doubt it was legit. but we have to treat everyone the same, we have one poster who wants to put it all in Mandrin! Obviously some of the private forums are in a foreign language but they are moderated by people who speak that language. Cheers, BE.

Kaptin M
28th Oct 2005, 15:15
A successful night.
Fotos to phollow.

Kaptin M
29th Oct 2005, 08:41
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The inaugral Japan PPRuNe Bash xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Despite the short notice we managed to assemble a reasonable number of non-confirmed teetotallers who showed tremendous dedication to the tasks put in front of them.
Our Nubile Young Nymphs were kept busy picking crumbs up from under the tables, polishing various knobs and buttons, and generally doing the sorts of things that young things like to do.

Below is a cross section of some of the reprobates who followed the good Prince of Dzun's instructions to the letter!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/hanmersprings/DSCF2123.jpg

Can you guess WHY these two are smiling?? (And where the NYN's are?) :E
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/hanmersprings/DSCF2121.jpg