PDA

View Full Version : Rotary wing salaries.

HeliAv8tor
12th Feb 2000, 22:22
Why is it that commercial civy rotary wing pilots accept such low salaries compared to their commercial fixed wing brothers?

Is it because most of you are ex-military and the employers expect you to supplement your salary with you military pension to bring you on par with the fixed wing commercial world.

It's about time the rotary employers took a realistic view of your worth. Compared to the commercial fixed wing pilot you work longer hours in more difficult conditions on a machine that you actually fly, instead the auto-pilot. The skills required to pilot a helicopter are considered by some to be greater and the stress that comes with the job greater to.

Are many of you members of BALPA or any other union or association that could represent you in obtaining a better deal.

So let the debate begin :)

212man
13th Feb 2000, 03:49
Oh dear, here we go again. This seems reminiscent of the 'pointless whining' thread of last year.

Out of interest, what's with the "you" bit? Your profile and name suggest that you one of us!

To start the ball rolling with out to much ammunition for the hot heads.....

Why does a 747 pilot get more than a Twin Otter pilot? same argument, surely?

Why does a Channel Express A300 pilot earn more than his F27 bretheren? Even stronger case.

Why does a North Sea 61 captain earn more than a police EC135 pilot?

ETC etc..

I think that basically it's what the industry will support and the pilots accept. Tied in with that is that civil salaries are invariably related to hull size/jet v TP/Pax v freight etc.

The military pension idea is a bit of a red herring I think. Particularly if you look at the proportion of military vs pure civillian pilots that now exist in the UK and then the ratio of those who had permanent (=pensionable) commisions vs those with short commisions or NCOs.

I'm sure some kind soul will rip the above to shreds, but cest la vie. Perhaps when we get the tilt rotor we'll see a them and us situation developing in the rotary world. Or maybe not!

[This message has been edited by 212man (edited 12 February 2000).]

leading edge
13th Feb 2000, 03:57
Where have you been avi8tor? On Mars or something for the past year? Suggest you read some "past ppruning" before you open this one again.

Chip Lite
18th Feb 2000, 04:08
Yoh Heli8!

Despite the cynical old man attitude of some, I agree.

I travelled the USA in 1992 and visited many operators. They were being paid in $'s what we were getting in £'s. i.e in those days, about £25K. Considering the cost of living, it was considered a good living. I have family there by the way.

I have just been back, but really only need have read the Rotor & Wing salary review to see that 8 years on, we get paid probably in the region of £33K for a medium/light twin whilst they get $55K plus additional bonus for extra duties etc. Have we kept up?

I don't really give a damn as I've seen the writing on the wall and jumped ship long ago!

But if you want my opinion and as I'm writing this you'll get it anyway :)

Competative tendering for Cop contract's, mainly from two companies, has caused the demise of the helicopter industry condition's, not the North Sea. Add up the number of pilot's now employed in the Police sector now, it accounts for a very large proportion of the onshore market, of the twin sector - possibly the largest!