PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan Eathquake

Slartibardfarst
17th Oct 2005, 18:24
Heard a rumour that the RAF is starting to send some support to the poor unfortunates in Pakistan. Anyone got some gen? Heard that it is to start with Albert and a few MAMS guys.

Oh, and another one. Another rumour is that the Yanks are supporting the relief effort with food aid. 180,000 rat packs should do the trick.

rej
17th Oct 2005, 18:45
And just think, if a C17 wasn't tied up in some demo last week we might have been able to fly a rotary or two out 7 days ago to help with the distribution of aid.

Let's hope that what we offer is not too little, too late to make a difference to some of the poor souls out there.

PPRuNeUser0211
17th Oct 2005, 20:43
That was my thought..... get a few puma mates in the back of a shiny new transport and help them out.. btw did you see that pakistan have accepted the offer of indian wokkas? Only they won't accept any crews.... When will these two countries get over themselves?

Heard also that pakistan crashed an MI-17 and killed six, thoughts to all those....

southside
18th Oct 2005, 08:38
Are thopse the 180,000 Brit ratpacks which are unfit for human consumption?

On_The_Top_Bunk
19th Oct 2005, 17:18
I hear on BBC Wilts radio that Lyneham has sent aircraft to assist in humanitarian relief operations.

QuidProQuo
19th Oct 2005, 17:58
T'is true! Alberts going out, C17s and probably other people and stuff in due course. Some details here: http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/news_0510_06.html

Data-Lynx
19th Oct 2005, 20:52
Try similar details with Puma pics for pba_target at MoD News (http://news.mod.uk/news_headline_story2.asp?newsItem_id=3648), page 3 of the latest DiFD update (http://www.dfid.gov.uk/news/files/emergencies/pakistan/pakistan-earthquake-sitrep10.pdf) and a variation on the spin at Directgov at No10 (http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page8324.asp).

Twinact
20th Oct 2005, 07:30
BBC News and South Today reports 3 Wokkas on their way! The helicopter of choice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4358782.stm

Data-Lynx
20th Oct 2005, 17:25
Try RAF provides vital Air Lift Capability (http://www.news.mod.uk/news_headline_story2.asp?newsItem_id=3660) for NATO-Led Earthquake Relief Effort. Well done all.

On_The_Top_Bunk
20th Oct 2005, 18:49
Try RAF provides vital Air Lift Capability for NATO-Led Earthquake Relief Effort. Well done all.

Nice photo of a C130K model being loaded.

Must be a VERY OLD archive shot.:)

C-130 Driver
21st Oct 2005, 17:39
Your source is good! I flew the first UK aid into Islamabad last sunday! Hercs- First in again!

500days2do
21st Oct 2005, 17:54
Top job lads...jealous as hell...just wish we had been given the nod b4 we handed over 2 u...stay safe..5d2d

N Joe
21st Oct 2005, 21:40
We deploy C130 in support of quake - F3s on the news
We deploy another - Typhoon on the news
Today, we make ready another - no news

Not to mention C-130 Driver's note above - no news

But

NATO 'promise to send some troops' and its headline news on Radio 5 through my whole traffic-jammed drive home!

Good job the truckie fleet is not in it for the fame and fortune!

N Joe

On_The_Top_Bunk
21st Oct 2005, 22:02
We deploy C130 in support of quake - F3s on the news

It is quite pathetic really I have to agree. Even when the secret Oxfordshire airbase deploys a shiny thing it's all over the news.

The Herc chaps do get very little praise. :(

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
21st Oct 2005, 22:49
Hi Guys;

Thanks for the sentiments...
The Herc guys..and all the support trades are there already...doing the required job.

Although I'm not there (yet), my thoughts are with the crews... I'm sure I'll be there on the next crew rotation...

The word is...this is going to be ongoing...

I hope the new Eng Wg regime can get us some more serviceable 'J's...we are going to need them.

Time for someone else to blow their trumpet...

Regards...SFS

L-H
22nd Oct 2005, 08:32
Here we go again, RAF trumpet blowing society. My lot have had ac into ISB from the start and will continue to do so for some time, but do you hear about it? No course you don't we just get on and do the job because now is not the time for ego's. :mad:

PTT
22nd Oct 2005, 10:13
L+H

Your PR department not putting the work in then? Nice for the British Taxpayers (i.e. our employers) to see that we actually do something other than fight wars they don't want us to fight. It's not about egos.

monkeybumhead
22nd Oct 2005, 16:29
J dude.
You can sleep easy as we mere mortals of the engineering types are doing our best to get things fixed (be it K or J).
If only we had more spares and manpower. :sad:

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
22nd Oct 2005, 17:12
Hi MonkeyBummer;

I know you are...and as aircrew I really appreciate that you guys have been p***ing against a wall for far too long now!!!

Hope this latest revamp works...

Regards...SFS

L-H
23rd Oct 2005, 08:10
PTT,

That's not what I meant. It's you lot collectively patting each other on the back like self satisfied prigs that comes across as being slightly repugnant.

Clearly the public must be informed, it's their dosh after all. However the UK contribution so far is pretty dismal when compared to less wealthy countries!:ok:

PTT
23rd Oct 2005, 15:57
So a "well done" from your peers is not welcome? People are working hard for this and deserve a little pat on the back. Our Lords and Masters aren't going to do it, so our peers may as well. The respect also extends to your own service's crews in ISB (now that we know they are there!), and isn't just for the RAF personnel. But if you think that is repugnant then so be it...

I agree that our contribution so far has been very poor, but that's hardly the fault of the RAF now, is it? :) A case of people doing what they can with the limited resources the government will give us.

If anyone can be accused of back-slapping it's the government officials who told the press to get their collective ar5e5 down to Fairford and broadcast our contribution.

monkeybumhead
23rd Oct 2005, 16:14
J Dude.
Thanks for the appreciation. We all live in hope the change works. It may be hard at first as, my understanding being, we will be loosing manpower across the board still (K & J) but I am sure we will do our best to make it work.

I think spares are a big part of the problem at the moment, but robbing/canablization only masks the problem.

Glad to see you flying types are thinking of us as well.:ok:

Always_broken_in_wilts
23rd Oct 2005, 19:22
LH?? Has Southsh!te morphed again:rolleyes:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Data-Lynx
14th Nov 2005, 17:03
RAF head to Poland to collect Pakistan aid (http://news.mod.uk/news_headline_story2.asp?newsItem_id=3742). Try the link for some updated pics. a total of 77 flights carrying over 1,240 tonnes so far, from both Incirlik in Turkey and other NATO bases in Europe.

AHORSE
14th Nov 2005, 17:30
Read the article above which says the RAF were first in. Not so, they were beaten by an old NATO 707 a week earlier. It took in aid from Ljubjana, Slovenia. This country was very proud to have been the first to get it's act together to give aid utilising this ancient NATO asset.

Data-Lynx
18th Nov 2005, 10:50
L-H. How about part of the UK contribution to the UN that is unique for heavy SH (http://today.reuters.co.uk/News/CrisesArticle.aspx?storyId=SP244427)? Senior U.N. official Pat Duggan said "We've got an extra resource. We've got the Chinooks from the British government to work solid while the rest of the operation is still going on. It's a huge acceleration in our ability to cover the needs in these areas. It gives us a great boost to meet this end of November, beginning of December time frame. The idea is to have pre-positioning of food as close as possible to them (150,000 people) and pre-position some shelter as well. That will keep them more or less in their area and stop a flow down to Muzaffarabad.

arthurwellington
20th Nov 2005, 15:01
L-H

The Reuters article

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"To be able to do that size push in just six days is what's pretty cool from our end -- it's just magnitudes above what we've been doing"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fact. The rate of effort is an order of magnitude greater than any other operator.

Attitude. It is not trumpet-blowing or self satisfied back slapping. It is getting on with the job.

The lesson. Take a JHSU Det. :ok:

This is not intended to knock other operators who are also doing a good job. Having your own enablers makes all the difference; something the NGOs should hoist aboard. Spending gozillians hiring a fleet of aircraft is pointless if they are not utilized to their potential.