PDA

View Full Version : DUNDEE

Blabbermouth
17th Oct 2005, 08:55
Anyone else been watching with interest the stories about Dundee Airport lately ?

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/output/2005/10/05/story7610473t0.shtm

I know that a lot of money is being invested in the airport over the next few years, new airport support vehicles & a Fire service training rig.

All it needs now is more routes !!

shedrule
17th Oct 2005, 10:39
Bit of a misleading title there is it not?

Your right enough though, it has been mentioned frequently in the local media more than usual recently. Certainly haven't seen anything that even implies the Airpor's existence is under any kind of threat.

The HAI coming in to help / run the airport rumour is still about however. Can see that being a positive thing, Dundee is never going to be a Glasgow or Edinburgh but its possible to envisage more scheduled routes becoming viable.

matkat
17th Oct 2005, 18:19
Very worrying as I live in Balmullo I use the airport whenever feasible would hate to see it close and in fact was hopping for an expansion.
P.S. Shedrule were You at the game yesterday?

shedrule
17th Oct 2005, 22:04
I wouldnt be misled by the title of this thread matkat, there has been no mention whatsoever of even a chinese whisper mentioning the C word about the airport.

Yes I was in my usual spot. If we can go from here and put together a couple of results there really is no-one to fear in the league just now from what I have seen.

Blabbermouth
18th Oct 2005, 09:16
Without overly mentioning the big "C" word ! If the airport is losing money as bad as they say, then the council would have no option to close.

I am an avid supporter of the airport (something to do with i work with it a lot) and would hate to see it close. Yes i think putting it under the umbrella of HIA would be a good idea as they have the experience of attracting new routes.

Dundee will as everyone says be never like glasgow or edinburgh, but it could become an important regional airport with only a few more routes. Business traffic is through the roof with the bulk of operators now using dundee instead of leuchars so it does stand a good chance of survival.

niknak
18th Oct 2005, 18:56
Excellent idea to give it to HIA!

Instead of the taxpayers of Dundee forking out for it, HIA will apply to the Scottish Executive for a bigger grant each year, still run all (and their new) airports at an even bigger loss, and we'll all share the burden.

Dundee is in a very difficult situation, the arguement remains for a social need for the airport, but their is no viable commercial case for it.

Giving it to HIA would be the solution that meets most of the requirements, but it would add (in a very small way) to the UK taxpayers burden in supporting many facets of the Scottish economy.

Blabbermouth
19th Oct 2005, 14:39
Yes HIA do lose money on all their airports. The bulk of all the HIA airports are small island airports which will constantly require funding. Inverness will be in profit shortly once the PFI terminal saga is finished.

There is demand for an airport in Dundee, maybe it needs looked into about extending the runway for 737's then more airlines would be attracted. Question is does the benefit outweigh the cost ?

Dundee has the facilities in place to be a good regional airport, and anyway it must be in one of the best & beautiful locations around !!

Oshkosh George
19th Oct 2005, 15:21
Apparently,according to the ATC controller,Dundee cannot be upgraded for 737s. If I recall correctly,there is a minimum airfield width requirement,as well as runway length,and the runway is too close to the buildings/boundaries.