PDA

View Full Version : SAAF Experiences (Calling all (ex-)SAAF members)

Deanw
17th Oct 2005, 08:50
SAAF Experiences

Calling all current and former South African Air Force (SAAF) members and those who have had involvement with the SAAF:

As many on this forum already know, I am in the process of adding a new section to my website (www.SAairforce.co.za): Articles written by those who served in or with the SAAF, describing their personal experiences. These could be about their general experiences, a particular posting or a specific incident.

I have many contributions already, ranging from WWII, Korea, the Bush War and current. Contributors include aircrew, ground crew, admin and support, including Army guys who had contact with SAAF ops and a USAF pilot who flew alongside 2 Sqn in Korea.

Please, please, contact me ([email protected]) if you would like to contribute (including photos).

The contribution can be long or short, as you please. If you would prefer to remain anonymous, then that can also be arranged ;)

In this way, I hope to preserve the knowledge and heroism of those who served in the SAAF, and perhaps even provide some inspiration to those who read the stories. Providing additional information and data to historians would also be a bonus.

Many thanks.

Dean Wingrin

Webmaster: 'The South African Air Force' website
(An unofficial website)
http://www.SAairforce.co.za

Mod: Thanks for allowing this post.

Gunship
17th Oct 2005, 11:55
Can I reveal ALL re :

Realorca ?
4 HP ?
Circumference ..
exjet ..

Oh the list get's interesting ... bribes welcome guys :ok:

or shall we keep things between blankets ? ;)

Now I was so sweet in my young days ... even an Air mauritius Captain says so ... :E

Sir Cumference
17th Oct 2005, 12:34
I believe that Mauritius has some VERY strong rum. So anything said from that part of the world will be taken as null and void.

Sweet in your young days, that is NOT the way I remember it! let us get the stories going. Dean is tackling a huge task and I think it is worthy of our support.

What you think Guns?

SC

Gunship
17th Oct 2005, 13:22
ÎÉËáÇÎíÛ ìËËíÓ ÝÎ íÎ åÝ ÓÎ ÷ ÝÇåìä åÝ åÓ áÞËÔÝ åÈ ÝÇÔÝ ÄÔì áÇË ]ËÔì 1

Oeps ... Uhmm yes SC let us make a great effort.

Please ask CE if i can reveal all for the 5 great years together - I mean we where semi-SAAF ;)

Cheers from the land of sand.

Sir Cumference
17th Oct 2005, 13:46
Guns, CE says go ahead!

SC

Deanw
8th Nov 2005, 10:04
Many thanks to all those, both on and off the list, who have said that they are willing to contribute. :ok:

Frelonius Maximus
8th Nov 2005, 14:23
Howzit Dean, how about a 'Where are they now' section on your site? I have a lot of mates I'd like to find! Havnt been yet, but your site sounds great.

One or two minor snags incl high winds have prevented ground runs on ZS-HTN, but I promise I'll let you know as soon as.

Ciao:ok:

Deanw
8th Nov 2005, 15:14
Hi FM

I do have a 'Find-A-Buddy' listing on the site.

It's not that user friendly in that you cannot search, but quite a few people have made contact with friends through the listing. I hope to have something better next year.

Putcodrvr
9th Nov 2005, 10:17
Hi FM
Need a P2? I'll do it for biltong and beers!

SAT_BOSS
11th Nov 2005, 04:45
Darn Good Idea; high time the SAAF boys tell "their" hey guys our story; we did stuff wether volk and vaderland or wether we just loved flying and got sucked into a lot of "stuff" The other day at Lanseria I was chatting to an old "Bush" SAAF boy and we just realized we served in Omauni togteher with 32 Talked Laughed and exchanged views .... But the story's will be lost .... Oh yeh ... he was also talking about the Angolan Helicopters that we shot down .... Dont know much about it ..... where is that story

Gunship
11th Nov 2005, 04:48
Oh yeh ... he was also talking about the Angolan Helicopters that we shot down .... Dont know much about it ..... where is that story

Sitting Ducks.

Russian doctrine those days dictated that you must fly under radar control.

So these Mi-8 /17's was flying by road - 1 000 vt / metres and the Imp's came past.

Duck shooting practise ... :ok:

Check Revs
13th Nov 2005, 21:44
What helicopters???

;)

CR

4HolerPoler
14th Nov 2005, 06:23
The whole story is very well covered here. (http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_183.shtml)

4HP

Gunship
14th Nov 2005, 06:50
A very good link !

Thanks 4HP :ok:

MysticFlyer
14th Nov 2005, 08:12
Please pass this link around in Oz as well as in NZ and then to the UK, hopefully Bert will take care of the States for us.:E (Hey here we have proof of people - of all races - being oppressed and murdered.)

This flying there by aviators and ground forces together with many similar Jonas' big plans :D was our involvement in other African countries to try and stop Communism. As you can see or are aware of, we are quite capabile to take care of problems in our back-yard (give or take a Stinger) but then just be aware why!

We also just did not want to be "a part" of communistic rule, but how many knows of Nelson's link to that, or where he was trained, or why he was put in jail, or that he refused a chance to get out earlier if he renounced terrorism and violence, his hand written manuscript - How to be a good Communist?

Then again, Plaatjies' start with the African National Congress was always against the conditions within the mining companies - owners - fine gentlemen (Rhodes, Bernato, Oppenheimer...and their spin-off's) within the English establishment that supported the ANC "Struggle" against the Apartheid Regime (Pass law instituted 1870's)

But thanks to UN involvement and a bunch of "Pik"-koppe, democracy ruled!

May you live in interesting times!

(take care of those hand-shake connections mates, while they last..... :E )