PDA

View Full Version : EXETER

Pages : [1] 2

Devonair
17th Oct 2005, 02:13
Good news for the far south west.

Half million in first 6 months of financial year

Exeter International Airport passenger figures for the first six months of this financial year (2005/06) show a 31% increase compared with the same period last year. The passengers passing through the airport from 1 April until 30 September totalled 524,266. The airport’s growth has been substantial in the past few years and the current passenger numbers compared to those of the first six months of 2003/04 reveal an increase of 121%.

Exeter is one of the fastest growing regional airports in the UK and the greater number of scheduled routes is the main reason for the increase in passengers. Flybe’s service to Edinburgh has seen a huge rise of 76% and is the busiest of all the scheduled routes on offer from the airport. Paris has been the second most popular of the scheduled services for the first half of this financial year but as the route started in March there are no comparisons to the previous year. The third most popular of the scheduled flights is to Alicante with an increase of 56%.

Of the domestic and UK route usage during the period, Edinburgh is followed by Newcastle in second place then Jersey and Glasgow. These services are considerably benefiting the inbound tourism industry in the region.

Charter services on behalf of tour operators have continued in popularity with Palma in top place for passenger numbers since April followed by Dalaman in Turkey, then Tenerife. Travellers to Crete were up by 44% and those to Faro up by 32% compared to the same period last year.

The airport also handled nearly 3,000 passengers that were not intending to land at Exeter International Airport. Exeter is the highest ranked airport in the UK for inbound diversions from other airports with Plymouth and Newquay-bound aircraft regularly using the airport. Flights for Cardiff, Bristol and Southampton also use Exeter International Airport as an alternative when they are unable to land at those Airports due to bad weather.

With the news this week that double daily flights to Manchester will be starting in February, Exeter International Airport should reach the landmark figure of one million passengers in financial year 2005/06.

brabazon
17th Oct 2005, 15:52
OFT apparently takes 24 weeks to investigate and report on such matters and the report on EXT is due by end of March 2006!

Meanwhile, it's well done to flybe and EXT on the latest traffic figures.

Devonair
18th Oct 2005, 05:15
Flybe have asked the proposed airport bidder to gracefully withdraw from the bid. May be an indication of their frustration in the deal being delayed until March 2006 at least, on present passenger figures EXT will need of a new terminal building sooner rather than later.

Westcountry airline Flybe has dealt a Bristol-based consortium's controversial plans to buy Exeter Airport another blow by calling for the group to "gracefully withdraw" its bid.

The low-cost airline - the biggest operator at the airport - believes it would be in the region's best economic and consumer interests if South West Airports Consortium (SWAC) pulled out.

The move continues a difficult week for SWAC and the airport's owner Devon Country Council, and comes just days after the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) announced it was referring the issue to the Competition Commission.

The commission will address fears that SWAC - the council's preferred bidder and a major shareholder in Bristol Airport - will mean Exeter is treated as a secondary flight centre attracting less lucrative routes and offering a poorer all-round service than its neighbour.

Now Flybe's chief commercial officer Mike Rutter has said that it is time for a fresh start for both SWAC and the council. "We believe that it is against the consumer interests for airports of broadly similar catchment areas to be owned by the same body," he said.

"If they are owned by the same group, inevitably what will take place is a reduction in competition between the two areas. Therefore there will be an increase in costs and an increase in consumer prices and consumer choice of destinations.

"We believe that it should be a matter of Government policy, in the best interests of UK PLC economy, that they seek to have competing airports within adjacent catchment areas."

He said SWAC - a partnership between Macquarie Airports Group (MAG) and Ferrovial - was a "fine organisation" which has done many positive things in the region.

He said: "We have expressed our interests to SWAC over many months. In the interests of the South West economy and the best interests of everybody in the South West, they should gracefully withdraw.

"Devon County Council also have the complete ability to be able to now withdraw from the process and to reopen it to other players.

"In the best interests of the South West economy we believe they should seek to do that."

Mr Rutter said that a Competition Commission inquiry in 1995 into the proposed purchase of Belfast City Airport by Belfast International Airport, saw the body taking the view that competing airports should have different owners.

"We believe that is a fairly important precedent and one that is likely to be followed in this particular case," he said.

In referring the issue earlier this week, the OFT said the deal "raised concerns" about the loss of competition, which could "adversely effect" passenger choice.

MPs and business leaders had voiced concerns that economic growth, new flight routes and development could all be stunted as a result of the takeover - claims which SWAC denies.

The commission does not have to report back until March 27, almost a year after SWAC was first announced as the preferred bidder for the airport.

Following Flybe's comments, a SWAC spokesman said: "We are considering our next steps but do not wish to make any further comment at this stage."

A spokesman for Devon County Council said: "The county council notes the announcement by the OFT.

"Exeter International Airport is a terrific success story with the biggest rise in number of aircraft handled by a regional airport last year - up 45 per cent and passenger numbers up by nearly a third in the first half of 2005.

"The county council will continue to support the airport's success while pursuing the aim of securing the right kind of strategic investment in the company.

"We will take appropriate steps to ensure that aim is achieved."

Devonair
21st Oct 2005, 04:29
Looks like LPL is being axed the day the double daily MAN services commence. I cannot book LPL-EXT flights past Feb 16th and the timetable has been amended. I would like to see a middle of the day service to the North West so I hope that MAN proves successful enough to make it three times daily. Would also like to see double daily services to GLA, NCL and LBA, all of these services seem to be performing well.

Irish Steve
22nd Oct 2005, 17:37
Double daily to DUB would also be a big help, as it would make a "short" trip much easier, at present, there's no easy way to get over later in the day, so that means extra time off work if it's a leisure trip, or a 2 day trip if it's business, which makes for serious expense additions.

EGTE
24th Oct 2005, 21:39
Today's Exeter Excess & Error newspaper reports that the South West Airports Consortium/Macquarie have withdrawn their bid to purchase Exeter.

:ooh:

MerchantVenturer
25th Oct 2005, 12:09
Bloombergs confirm the above post saying that the bid has been withdrawn because the regulatory review process was taking too long.

A Macquarie spokewoman was quoted, "There's been no decision against it, but the process just kept dragging on and it's a very small acquisition from our perspective."

I suspect that SWAC have bowed to the inevitable in that the proposed sale would probably have been blocked following the enquiry.

I think it is a great shame because I could see Macquarie/Ferrovial doing great things for EXT. Let’s hope that whoever does buy the airport is of a similarly proven stature.

devon_guy
30th Oct 2005, 08:18
Anyone know if Brest is coming back as a route next year? It never seemed overly popular so I'm guessing not....

fly20
31st Oct 2005, 14:27
no, the BES will not be returning in S06, but i guess it may return in S07 when the EMBs are in service as their seating capacity is less making it more viable than running a 73 out there with 30 pax on!
**anyone know which route flybe are planning to introduce with the new a/c at EXT??***

WATABENCH
31st Oct 2005, 17:21
Will be good to see the based FCA 320 back for the winter to keep EXT ticking over nicely, its again the CWL summer a/c but FCA are using Skyservice nxt summer in CWL, could this be an indication of a year round base for FCA? Maybe to late for S06 but S07 may look promising to FCA, who knows????

EGTE
8th Nov 2005, 07:22
Exeter Excess & Error newspaper reports that £4.2million is to be spent upgrading the infrastructure at Exeter shortly. The money is to be spent on extending the arrivals area, fuel storage and additional aircraft stands.

I'm told that the additional stands are to be built on the current grass parking area between the tower and the "D" hardstanding i.e.opposite the Exeter Flying Club.

The Exeter Flying Club aircraft will have to go northside as the disused 13/31 is to be used for biz-jet parking. Exeter is busy with biz-jets from October to December with the demand for sport shooting in SW England.

WATABENCH
9th Nov 2005, 04:18
I've just read on another thread about Air Wales coming into EXT anyone shed some light? From what I was reading seems that they're likely to pull out of Plymouth.

Devonair
9th Nov 2005, 04:34
I think Air Wales are pulling their Irish services from PLH. ORK is moving to EXT and DUB looks as though its being scrapped as you can't book it after January 2nd. However, they appear to be maintaining services to ABZ and NCL via CWL.

EGTE
13th Nov 2005, 07:20
There are proposals for Class "D" airspace around Exeter.

See this link Devon Strut newsletter (http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/pages/newarticles/NL1105%20for%20web.pdf) (near the bottom) for some details.

devon_guy
13th Nov 2005, 20:25
I'm surprised Air Wales have stayed in Plymouth as long as they have looking at the prices they charge, they aren't exactly cheap. I see the ORK services are £29 each way which is a Flybe kinda price. Wouldn't suprise me if they start ORK from EXT soon....

Devonair
14th Nov 2005, 04:34
Devon guy, Air Wales are starting EXT-ORK in January... As detailed in earlier postings.
Would like to see flybe look at Germany. Bearing in mind Devon's & Cornwall's appeal in the German holiday market. Also AMS would be a winner and I feel attract more inbound pax than the CDG service has to date.

Curious Pax
14th Nov 2005, 07:12
EXT-AMS would certainly be a winner with my Cornish in-laws! A wild guess would suggest that AMS slots would be the inhibiting factor if they don't start the route in the next 12 months.

devon_guy
14th Nov 2005, 07:48
Oops, realised after I posted that my ramble sounded ambiguous, I meant I don't think it will be too long before Flybe introduce an ORK service from EXT to push Air Wales out.

Devonair
16th Nov 2005, 02:55
From Blackpool Today
Blackpool International Airport owners City Hopper are thought to be closing in on the sale of the South West's (far) largest regional airport.
Exeter Airport – which is home to fast growing no-frills airline Flybe – is at the centre of a £100m takeover bid.
Paul Whelan, executive chairman of City Hopper, said: "We are very close to a decision on the sale of Exeter Airport. We have been in discussion for several months are we are expecting an announcement very soon."

Devonair
25th Nov 2005, 00:08
As rumoured earlier Flybe EXT-GLA officially now going twice daily (except Sat) from the 16th Feb, bookable online. Anyone know when the domestic services go on sale for summer 06 with Flybe?

GBALU53
27th Nov 2005, 18:04
This aircraft has now arrived at Exeter does any one know the reason for comming to EXETER??

We have heard a rumour that it may be for Fly Be can anyone confirm this.

If this is correct why wpild they be getting another BAE146 when they are due to recieve more Dash8s shortly and in the near future the Embraer.

mmeteesside
27th Nov 2005, 18:14
I too have heard it is heading to Flybe!

mmeteesside

Irish Steve
27th Nov 2005, 21:37
possibly to provide backup for the Dash 8's? They do seem to be having some "issues" with them at the moment. I'm still trying to find out what went wrong with the DUB flight last weekend, and it's gone very quiet on that subject.

MarkD
28th Nov 2005, 18:05
This thread relates to EWR:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199095

Trislander
29th Nov 2005, 10:10
There just isn't enough back up at the moment when something goes wrong so if this a/c is bound for flybe then it will be a stby a/c i expect.

GBALU53
29th Nov 2005, 15:17
With reference this Bae 146 we believe there is a second aircraft around in the form of VH-EWN would this be another back up for Fly-Be?????

With the problems with the Dash fleet they need some back up

With the announcement of new routes for next year they will be stretching them selves??

Am i correct in saying the aircraft based at Exeter are 2 Dash, 1 Bae 146 and a B737??.

GBALU53
1st Dec 2005, 13:48
This mornings early EXT-CDG flight departed near enough on time but 10 to 15 minutes into the flight the aircraft returned to EXT.

Was this another Dash 8 type tech problem???

The flight was due to go again approx one hour thirty minutes later but i do not know if the flight operated this morning before i left work.

fly20
8th Dec 2005, 18:14
can anyone explain the rationale behind the new EXT to BERGERAC route with flybe?!??! Surely other routes would be much better served - presuming slots could be found - eg AMS, NCE, BCN, RME etc etc - if they are using the 737 then range isn't an argument, but i'm sure even the Q400 could work on NCE or AMS??
AMS = major hub = connections = extra pax
Bergerac = ??? = few pax

Call Established
8th Dec 2005, 19:43
A latest rumour was that European (EAAC) had pruchased two also from Australia, are these not the acft for them ? (Flybe carrying out the maint?)

JobsaGoodun
9th Dec 2005, 10:13
fly20,

The likes of NCE, BCN and AMS are destinations already served ex BRS. Flybe have demonstrated that they are committed to the regions in the UK and the same is apparent in France. Not everyone wants the big city destinations.

Flybe is catering primarily for repeat business and for UK travellers heading to France this means taking them to the regions where they have their second homes, places like Limoges, Bergerac, Brest etc. The added benefit is that for those that have already made the move out to France you pick up the VFR (visiting friends/relations) traffic heading out to see them.

This type of destination creates the repeat business that all airlines need and not the type of travellers that will necessarily just nip off for a weekend break. It is also well within the reach of the Q400 which is ideal for this sort of route.

Flybe have said countless times that they are not out to compete directly with FR or EZY. With this being the case, why fly to the same places making it look like you are?

Just for the record....Flybe are not getting anymore 146's! Not sure where that came from. They are getting rid of them prior to the new EMB's coming in. Why get more!

JobsaGoodun
9th Dec 2005, 20:16
MV,

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure that Flybe want to reduce services at BRS, rather that it may be difficult to expand services further without setting up an actual crew and aircraft base at the airport, something that may be impractical given the closeness of EXT.

The BOD/EGC routes are facilitated via the BHD route, the aircraft being based at BHD and flying down from BHD and then out to EGC/BOD. I think that last year the EGC route was operated as a W pattern ex SOU, much like the TLS service is ex BHX.

It may be that the cost of setting up a crew base at BRS may put pressure on the viability of services. Maybe Flybe are trialling services from EXT to see if the demand is there. SOU,BHX and BRS have all proved popular with EXT and LBA joining Flybe routes to EGC for Summer 2006.

I very much doubt that a full pull out from BRS is likely. The TLS route does very well with high yield traffic from BAe heading down to Airbus at TLS. I sincerely hope that Flybe do not pull out from BRS but I think it likely that any major expansion will feature at EXT in the short term.

Devonair
15th Jan 2006, 18:55
Looks like the airport is going back on the market this week. Heard today it is likely to go for even more than the SWAC were going to pay.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4613160.stm

WOWBOY
15th Jan 2006, 19:04
Who do you think will likly buy the airport?

phil_2405
15th Jan 2006, 21:08
Would Manchester Airport Group be interested?

Coasthugger
16th Jan 2006, 08:32
Heard today it is likely to go for even more than the SWAC were going to pay.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4613160.stm

That implies that it would be worth more to a different buyer than to SWAC - don't really understand why that would be. SWAC would have been removing a competitor to BRS and tying up a regional monopoly in the South West. Another buyer will have to compete with BRS?

In all honesty the money that airports go for when you consider the level of capital expenditure required to maintain and expand them seems crazy to me... but then I haven't got £20m to invest anyway...:)

There was certainly plenty of interest at the last tender stage, I'm sure it will be sold if the council want the money.

fly20
16th Jan 2006, 21:58
the reason the airport is now worth more is that since the airport was last put up for tender there have been several developments which would lead to an increase in it's value; namely the increase in passenger numbers since the last tender date (over a year ago), subsequent investment in the airport (new baggage belts etc), and new route announcements by flybe and some new charter services. there are now around 40% more daily flights than when the airport was put up for sale the last time, which provides potential for many more passengers to pass through the doors.

Coasthugger
17th Jan 2006, 08:15
The passenger number increase will have some impact but I would have expected the purchase price to be more based on future potential than current numbers. Any capital expenditure in the last year will increase the purchase price though.

My guess is that the price may be a little (5%?) higher but not much more. We shall see!

Devonair
17th Jan 2006, 12:29
This article is from today's Exeter Express & Echo.
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=136993&command=displayContent&sourceNode=200242&home=yes&contentPK=13847826
I just hope it is sold to an airport operator rather than venture capitalists

fly20
22nd Jan 2006, 22:00
Has anyone heard anything as to new routes for Summer 07? FCA were a hairs width from basing an a/c there for Summer 06 but pulled out - any advance on this for next season?
Looks set to be a busy summer this season with extra flybe routes and RHO,Bourgas and some increased frequencies on the other charters!
Where is the Egypt route??

aeulad
15th Feb 2006, 15:07
Flybe. are considerably increasing and swapping route capacity at EXT this summer.
ALC
1645 1_3_5_7 733
1210 ___4___ 143
BHD
1410 1234567 DH4
EGC
0900 ______7 DH4
0950 _____6_ DH4
1055 1_3_5__ 143
BES
0925 ______7 DH4
1315 1_3_5__ DH4
DUB
0955 12345__ DH4
1320 ______7 733
1355 _____6_ 733
EDI
0700 123456_ 143
1010 ______7 DH4
1505 _____6_ DH4
1825 ______7 DH4
1830 12345__ 143
FAO
1635 _2_4___ 733
1655 _____6_ 733
GLA
1010 12345__ DH4
1100 _____6_ 143
1855 12345_7 DH4
GCI
0705 12345__ DH4
1255 _____6_ DH4
1605 12345__ DH4
1610 ______7 DH4
JER
0705 12345__ DH4 via GCI
1020 _____6_ DH4
1605 12345__ DH4 via GCI
1745 ______7 DH4
LBA
0705 _____6_ DH4
1250 ______7 143
1255 _2_4___ DH4
1510 1_3_5__ 143
AGP
0715 1_34_6_ 733
MAN
0645 123456_ DH4
1600 ______7 DH4
1615 12345__ DH4
MJV
1605 _____6_ 143
NCL
1030 123456_ DH4
1910 12345__ DH4
1915 ______7 143
NWI
1230 1234567 DH4
PMI
0720 _2__5_7 733
CDG
0630 123456_ DH4
1730 12345_7 DH4
As you can see the likes of EDI, EGC and DUB amongst others recieve a considerable capacity increase. The base will be 1x733, 1x143 and 3xDH4.
Regards
Mike

WATABENCH
16th Feb 2006, 07:45
God only knows if FCA will base summer 07, seems they are falling out with CWL as baseing a Skyservice a/c there this summer, fingers crossed for an FCA EXT base!

Devonair
4th Apr 2006, 11:11
EXT back on the market. Lets hope the sale actually goes through this time!
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=137015&command=displayContent&sourceNode=136999&contentPK=14286087&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

GBALU53
8th Apr 2006, 21:37
Would Flybe be interested in purchasing the airfield since they have invested a lot of money in there engineering facility there???

ColinH
8th Apr 2006, 22:51
There has been talk in the Norwich local paper that the majority shareholder of Norwich International Airport, Omniport plc may well bid for Exeter. There is of course a common denominator, Flybe.

chris1976
9th Apr 2006, 17:32
Given the capacity increases on some routes from EXT, any possibility of EXT-LBA going double daily in the near future ?? SOU - LBA has just gone double daily with Flybe. I've heard that the LBA route is doing well in terms of loads and this must be a strong contender for a capacity increase. It's happened on the EXT route to that place over the pennines! Not sure how the WOW increased schedule from LBA (which starts tomorrow) will affect things for EXT route? Any ideas?

shamrock7seal
11th Apr 2006, 10:51
Ryanair want London Stansted - Exeter 12 times weekly from summer 2007

WOWBOY
11th Apr 2006, 12:25
Ryanair want London Stansted - Exeter 12 times weekly from summer 2007

I was dreading this was to happen but if it does ahpppen then it is good news I supposse!!

WATABENCH
11th Apr 2006, 15:38
Hmm I wander if this has anything to do with the apparent fall out with NQY, good news for EXT, more routes the better, I think you'd get a lot of custom from the BRS area, wish there was a BRS-STN or LCY route

fly20
11th Apr 2006, 20:51
hmmmm - STN to EXT upto 2x a day? i dont think so. with around 1200 pax per day using EXT scheduled services i dont think RYR is going to be able to add another 300+ seats to one destination which whilst popular, isnt that popular. espeically as the train doesnt take THAT long.

Where did you hear this rumour - can you post your source?

Would be good though! EXT needs to get out of its reliance on flybe, get in some other operators. an LCY service would be supportable, and also an AMS (maybe klm-uk?) and what about a berlin or somewhere in Germany (air berlin?)

fly20

GBALU53
11th Apr 2006, 21:06
If only Flybe kept the baby Dash would have been ideal to operate to the City

Let alone some of the other routes

Start off small end up big, little Dash (100) to big Dash (400):ok: :ok: ,

Devonair
11th Apr 2006, 21:51
How long does it take to get to STN from Devon? Around 4-5 hours. It would not just cater for people travelling to London but also many people transferring to the plethora of services from STN to mainland Europe. I know the trains are pretty quick into Paddington but they're bloody expensive. And if you want to travel to somewhere like Essex or East London you can add another hour at least on to the journey and factor in the tube or pricey taxis. I'd love to see FR try STN, if anyone can make it work its them. VLM might be a possibility on the LCY route.

GROUNDHOG
12th Apr 2006, 07:17
Can't see it happening but what if Ryanair flew Newquay - Exeter - Stansted much as Air Southwest via Plymouth to Gatwick? Then all the Newquay punters could link with flights out of Exeter as well?

Wasn't it Air Victoria that most recently tried to fly Exeter to London and lasted about a week ??

Devonair
12th Apr 2006, 11:29
How much did Air Victoria charge? Ridiculous money if I remember, no wonder it only lasted a week. Can't see FR doing NQY-EXT-STN. I heard Flybe wanted to try EXT - LGW, to piss WOW off but couldn't get the slots. Again I think the time and cost it takes to get from Devon to Sussex and Kent would make the route work. Can't believe RE have started NQY-ORK I wonder how long is that going to last?!

Outoftheblue22
12th Apr 2006, 21:33
Also surprised at RE doing NQYORK. It might be ok in the Summer months (inbound tourists from ORK to Cornwall) but year-round would be a struggle. EXTORK a better bet I would have thought.

Don't think EXT-London makes sense for anyone. It's an easy drive, and even easier by rail. Why would anyone want to drive to EXT Airport, park car, check in an hour before, one hour flight, collect bags at the other end etc etc etc. More trouble than it's worth.

GROUNDHOG
13th Apr 2006, 12:01
Agree with everything you say - out of the blue 22. Exeter to Cork maybe but Newquay, I don't think so!!!

Air Hop
18th Apr 2006, 19:18
Surley there has to be another / other scheduled operator(s) that would be interested in opening up routes from EXT. Flybe is getting a little predictable:ugh:

There must be milage in ORK, IOM, ABZ as well as other euro routes:confused:

It would seem to me that EXT has a greater level of service to offer rather than PLH / NQY?

GBALU53
18th Apr 2006, 20:49
I understand where you are comming from but who will operate your ideas Air Southwest or AE Arann or do you have someone else like Ryanair???

Air Hop
19th Apr 2006, 11:42
I don't think that ASW would be interested. It has never appeared to be a very happy relationship in the past.

With the loads that Eastern seem to have out of BRS I would have thought that perhaps a transit stop to include EXT could work for some destinations, or pehaps someone like Jet 2 or BMI Baby. If MME can work for Summer to NQY there must be some interest to EXT with the 'business' use alone?

It has always surprised me that nothing has been done to Alderney? I would have thought that it had a similar draw / market as the Isles of Scilly?

WOWBOY
19th Apr 2006, 11:48
I don't think that ASW would be interested. It has never appeared to be a very happy relationship in the past.

Between Who exactly?
ASW and EXT ??

Air Hop
19th Apr 2006, 18:23
Well it does seem a little strange that as the airline for the South West they don't operate any scheduled services from the airport unless the weather at PLH / NQY / BRS is up to its usual god awful standards!

That would seem suggest to me that something between the two is not rosy.

WATABENCH
19th Apr 2006, 18:31
EXT is way to cosy with FLYBE thats the answer, no comp for WOW at NQY and PLY, and carefully chosen routes from BRS that EZY are not intrested in, WOW seem to have a good business plan and to go into an airport that is dominated by an airline that chooses similar routes that WOW would want to do would be daft, as you said it is a shame that they dont operate from EXT but what would be the point for them really, FLYBE have the monopoly in EXT and have made it very hard for any other airlines to go in there, FCA are obviously an exception because they are a completely different type of airline, BE and WOW are too similar.

dingodiva
19th Apr 2006, 18:48
Watabench- spot on. You will not see WOW at EXT simply because the airport has sold it's soul to Flybe, and EXT will in time regret it- at the very least the sale price of EXT will reflect the Flybe monopoly effect, which was one of the major factors recently in trashing the bid from McQuarrie. At the time of the last attempted sale, Flybe withdrew their support for the deal at the last minute because they had not been able to re-negotiate their own long term deal.
Watch this space, but forget competition at EXT unless it is BIG, i.e Ryanair- forget EZY who are well esconsed up the road at BRS

WATABENCH
19th Apr 2006, 19:01
Cheers Dingo, No other carrier will come in with a proper programme until the airport has a new terminal and facilities to back it up, even FCA after a few years of winter dont want to come in during the summer with a programme, and EXT has offered them everything, No offence to EXT because deep down i think its a great little airport and people working there are some of the friendliest i've ever met and i work at BRS/CWL/EXT and even BHX now and again, its just an airline will not be attracted because of FLYBE and a lack of terminal space and facilities not only for the airline but for its pax as well - damn shame

GROUNDHOG
19th Apr 2006, 19:07
Picture this......
The report on Plymouth tells us what everyone already new that unless the airport gets a decent runway extension it will become commercially unviable. As Exeter grows all the traffic would migrate there. If PLH did close what would this do to Air Southwest NQY-PLH-LGW service? If NQY-LGW did not stand on its own perhaps it would then have go NQY-EXT-LGW or NQY-BRS-LGW?

What if a NEW challenger started a real low cost service to London from NQY, either direct or via EXT and took on Ryanair ( hardly a major route for them) and Air Southwest ( backbone route and even BA made a profit on it) then suddenly the whole picture changes.

Since this is the Exeter thread the only thing is for sure it will continue to grow and thrive and is logically the airport for the South West and for now anyway Flybe is (probably) the airline.

chris1976
19th Apr 2006, 19:22
With the loads that Eastern seem to have out of BRS I would have thought that perhaps a transit stop to include EXT could work for some destinations, or pehaps someone like Jet 2 or BMI Baby. If MME can work for Summer to NQY there must be some interest to EXT with the 'business' use alone?

I can't imagine Jet2 would be interested in servicing EXT at all from LBA or MAN given Flybe operate the routes. Routes to Exeter, Plymouth, Newquay and Bristol are all served from LBA and MAN. In terms of Jet2 from LBA, their focus seems to be on routes unserved by alternative carriers which probably means EXT is well down the agenda. Newquay - LBA / MAN has the best chance IMO and even that is probably well down the expansion priority list.

dingodiva
19th Apr 2006, 19:47
MV
BRS has in fact been pursuing a deliberate policy for some time (as far as competition legislation permits) of balancing their portfolio of airline customers- EZY are becoming big but by no means dominant, whilst other carriers are growing quietly- this being the main reason why they were the perfect partners for EXT. BRS is one of the few regional airports where BA CON has actually grown in the last year or so and the airport has also encouraged WOW and Eastern to do more regional flying- although today's news of Easten of stopping MME-BRS so soon is not exactly helpful. If you want to understand the pervasive influence of Flybe speak to SOU and NWI who are wondering what they have taken on !

WOWBOY
19th Apr 2006, 20:21
Have Eastern axed BRS-MME??

JobsaGoodun
19th Apr 2006, 20:56
Whilst I agree that some airports have significant presences from specific airlines I strongly believe that an airline, particularly a low cost airline must be dominant at an airfield in order for it to make financial sense.

Economically the cost of advertising one route from and airport is the same as advertising 10 routes. Lets not forget that airlines like Flybe or EZY need to build critcal mass at an airport in order to suceed, equally these airlines have made loss making and inefficient airports sucessful simply by increasing services.

Each low cost carrier has their significant bases whether they be Flybe at EXT/NWI/SOU/BHD. JET2 at LBA, EZY at LGW/LTN or BRS or Ryanair at STN/EMA or DUB. There are some airfields at which no airline is the dominant carrier such as MAN, EDI/GLA but you will normally find that these airports are served from a base where the above carriers are dominant.

BAConnect will suffer from having no defensible bases. It will not take much to push them from SOU or BRS. They may be expanding right now with new routes, but what do you do with aircraft that have 2yrs leases left to run.....park them and suffer from unions?

WATABENCH
20th Apr 2006, 13:35
Jobsa - Understand completely what your saying re dominant airlines, however I cant agree with your statement re BA at BRS, if they were to go they would have gone a few years ago when CWL/LBA went, BA in the face of an on slaught from EZY have weathered the storm well and come out smelling of roses if you ask me, they've added routes in the past year such as ZRH, MXP and a new route of DUS starting soon, plus they have the ground contracts for SN,WOW and Eastern, so I find it hard to believe that BA would be pushed very easily from BRS, they still compete with EZY on routes such as GLA/EDI and have the upper business market who do not wish to fly with BA, Sorry i know this is an EXT thread so i'll leave my rambling to that.
Fact to me remains that as i said earlier until EXT has better facilities it will not attract another based carrier, i mean even the terminal is painted inside in flybe colours!

devon_guy
3rd Jun 2006, 17:10
What is going on there today?? Loads of flights are severely delayed, Flybe especially but there are others too. Anyone got any ideas??

HON
3rd Jun 2006, 17:34
I know, we were given a shocking turn around today (FCA). What is going on?

EGTE
3rd Jun 2006, 18:52
The Flybe B733 G-STRA seems to have gone tech. Two SN Brussels BA462/RJ85s have arrived at Exeter to replace it!

Outoftheblue22
6th Jun 2006, 15:14
Re the proposed EXT sale issue. I think it's been sort-of said before, but the heavy presence of FlyBe at EXT would be a big turn-off for many potential investors - an airport basically reliant on the fortunes of one carrier, and an airport which is unlikely to get much other airline interest when it's FlyBe's home base.

I do think BRS is entirely different. They've had a conscious strategy of balancing full service/loco/niche carriers - and that strategy has worked well and has allowed the airport to thrive and prosper without any one airline or business model being dominant.

devon_guy
6th Jun 2006, 15:24
It doesn't seem to have put potential investors off, plenty of interest according to the press release......

turnipgreen
8th Jun 2006, 09:25
Hey guys, interesting thread. Do you think Exeter is a viable sale? and if so, who do you think would buy it? SOme kind of investment group or perhaps another airport?

devon_guy
8th Jul 2006, 15:55
Whats the prob at EXT today 08/07/06? Flight from Guernsey that becomes the flight to EDI came in fine, then the EDI showed a huge delay and the JER flight is going to SOU and pax being bussed back to EXT. Anyone any ideas??

danflybe
9th Jul 2006, 00:53
BHX a/c went tech in TLS. The EXT-EDI a/c positioned to BRS, operated BRS-TLS-BHX. (and what a glorious day it has been):hmm:

Don't know about the others though!

Air Hop
11th Jul 2006, 19:10
According to local news the Fire section at Exeter have opted for strike action commencing next week. This cannot be good for the airport, especially with the much noted sale process.:sad:
What effect do is this likely to have? Are the staff at Exeter really as hard done by as claimed compared to other airports? Is there likely to be support from others in industry as a whole?

pipertommy
11th Jul 2006, 19:26
What i have read they are on around 18,500pa when you will find most airport fire fighters are on around atleast 22/23000pa.Basically the bigger the airport the better the wage ie Cardiff 25,500pa or Luton i believe to be around 30,000pa,as usual areas will effect the living standards/pay rate.What effect will it have?Well,by withdrawing fire cover the airport will close unless they can draft in cover.Not that anyone ever wants it to reach such a point of closing.Good luck to all at Exeter fire section.

Buster the Bear
16th Jul 2006, 22:07
£18,500 for a firefighter! If that is what local management value them at, good luck to those UNISON members, after all, they are the one's that might just save your life should an accident occur. Would you want to do their job?

Folk seem to think that all firefighters do is sit on their backsides doing nothing? Wrong! You need a licence and therefore a medical standard. You have to maintain competency and peak performance and then you have to undergo regular horrid smoke training etc. £18,500 for that! You could earn more working at ASDA!

Firefighters an an integral part of safety that is aviation and should be rewarded accordingly!

I think that you will find that firefighters at other civil airports earn considerably more than this after training, and so they should!

WATABENCH
17th Jul 2006, 15:16
I'm pretty sure i saw NQY advertising for fire fighters at 40k plus, cant remember where though, have to have a think......:ooh: but if i am right then 18.5k is shocking

Huyin
17th Jul 2006, 18:05
Watabench
Thats probably the Senior Airport Fire Officer NQY are looking for (Flight this week) starting at £40k.

Devonair
18th Jul 2006, 10:37
According to the flybe and EXT website the planned strikes by firefighters have been called off. Flybe will however be operating their revised schedule on Thursday although I'm not sure if they will be using BRS anymore as there is no need!

devon_guy
19th Jul 2006, 18:46
What's caused the probs at the airport today?? The LBA flight seems to be stuck there and EDI is showing a 4+ hr delay.

Whispering Giant
19th Jul 2006, 22:20
The 146 operating the LBA flight is tech in LBA and the EDI flt is having to be operated by one of the Scottish based a/c operating in reverse..

brgds
W.G

Air Hop
16th Aug 2006, 20:05
I hear that the Air Transat flight to YYZ is moving to a Wednesday as of May 07. Does anybody know why? Are Globespan tour op still associated with this flight?

EGTE
16th Aug 2006, 22:15
For what it's worth... Rumour I heard was that next summer's Toronto would be operated by a FlyGlobespan 767.

airhumberside
17th Aug 2006, 09:33
I hear that the Air Transat flight to YYZ is moving to a Wednesday as of May 07. Does anybody know why? Are Globespan tour op still associated with this flight?
Canadian Affair are selling seats on this flight

Huyin
17th Aug 2006, 11:55
Canadian Affair were bought by Air Transat in July of this year & so the link with Globespan will sever at the end of October 2006.The Air Transat A310 flight through Exeter is now being sold as a Wednesday flight with the same timings as this year for the summer season of 2007.
Not sure what Globespan will do in response.At present, if you attempt to book flights from EXT to YYZ on the TS website , it switches you into the Globespan site so this booking link will go.
A Globespan 767 ,even on a two stop routing (as per the present YYZ-EXT-BHX-YYZ) together with the current A310, would probably wreck what yield there is, as might a direct flight generating even more capacity.

AEUENG
21st Aug 2006, 01:36
A few things seem to be afoot at the moment, one of those things is that Astraeus look to be purchased imminently by Zoom Airlines of Canada. Zoom and FlyGlobespan will be codesharing on some of the Globespan (Tour Operator's) charter routes from UK- Canada due to GSM's lack of capacity after Air Transat stop operating the routes under the current contract which expires this winter.

Astraeus have their 737-700's ETOPS approved and can already hit Deer Lake in east coast Canada from LGW. This would make Toronto a possibility from EXT be it with a tech stop for fuel.

Astraeus previously have used the 737NG's from LGW to Malabo in Equatorial Guinea too which is also a 7hr plus flight.

Watch this space.

EGTE
19th Sep 2006, 16:10
I'm told that the Globespan service will be a Boeing 757-200.

To arrive at Exeter at around 08:25, then depart to Stansted before returning to Exeter at about 12:20 to pick up pax for a 13:20 departure for Hamilton.

We shall see!

turnipgreen
23rd Sep 2006, 10:36
Anyone heard what the latest is? Gone a bit quiet.

turnipgreen
25th Sep 2006, 15:41
MerchantVenturer

Am watching with interest. was wondering about the sale and do you think any service into London could come out of it? What does everyone else think?

Air Hop
28th Sep 2006, 11:59
The Western Morning News have publuished full details of all bidders today. Info on their website www.westernmorningnews.co.uk - there are 2 articles.

A few surprises;)

turnipgreen
30th Sep 2006, 10:24
Air Hop

Cool. so whose the money on I wonder? I live in London but have family down near Exeter so am interested in its development.

turnipgreen
14th Oct 2006, 10:24
All gone quiet in this forum. Any more news on EXT sale anyone?

devon_guy
14th Oct 2006, 16:43
In today's Express & Echo...

Exeter-based airline Flybe has put its weight behind two of the six bidders fighting it out to buy Exeter International Airport.In a last minute twist, Flybe has confirmed to the Echo that it is backing the bids of the Low Cost Airport Group and the South West Airport Group.

The 11th-hour move by the airline comes as Devon County Council selects a preferred bidder for the airport, which is said to be worth up to £60m.

Industry sources say Flybe's intervention has sparked concern that it could unduly influence the sell-off.

Flybe - one of the largest private sector employers in Devon - says it wants to safeguard jobs and regional prosperity.

A statement issued by the airline said: "As an organisation that employs over 800 staff in Exeter, Flybe has been instrumental in the growth and development of the airport and has driven tourism and economic growth. As such, Flybe has a vested interest in the sale.

"Flybe can confirm that it has preferences in an organisation that will provide a platform to facilitate economic benefit in the South West and will support the efforts of the Low Cost Airport Group and the South West Airport Group."

There has been speculation in recent days that the airline has held behind-the-scenes discussions with some of the bidders over future levels of landing charges. Any large increases by a new owner would hit the airline. Reacting to Flybe's comments, a source close to the bidding process said: "The concern is that undue influence may be exerted on those deciding which bidder should get preferred bidder status."

But Tim Jones, chairman of the Devon and Cornwall Business Council, said: "It is right that their views are given very serious consideration because they are such an important part in the future growth of Exeter and its airport."

The Low Cost Airport Group, formerly City Hopper, owns Blackpool and Wolverhampton airports.

South West Airport Group, believed to be South West Regional Airports Ltd, has bid for Exeter before and operates Coventry Airport.

Another contender is Balfour Beatty, with London City Airport.

Other bidders include Exeter Devon Airport Partnership, Italian airport operator Save and Phoenix Equity Partners.

The last attempt to sell the airport ended in tatters after the preferred bidder - a consortium made up of Macquarie Airports Group and infrastructure giant Ferrovial - pulled out.

Objections were raised over concerns that any deal could breach European Commission law on competition because the consortium already owned Bristol Airport. When the competition authorities became involved, the consortium withdrew.

A county council spokesman said: "Flybe's success is to be admired and Devon County Council wishes to ensure that for Flybe and the community Exeter remains a successful airport."

Devonair
17th Oct 2006, 12:58
Taken from the Exeter Express and Echo
Exeter International Airport is set to be sold to two of the world’s leading players in the transport and aviation industries, the Echo can exclusively reveal.

Sources have confirmed that a consortium made up of Balfour Beatty and London City Airport has been selected by Devon County Council as the preferred bidder to buy the airport.

The Echo understands that council leaders believe the alliance offers the best deal and will secure the long term future of the airport.

The council will now enter detailed negotiations with the consortium to try to close the deal and complete the sell-off.

If the sale is successful, the deal is set to unlock millions of pounds to be invested in the rapidly growing airport.

It is understood that Balfour Beatty and London City Airport alliance beat off competition from five other shortlisted bidders who had been fighting it out to buy the airport, estimated to be worth up to £60 million.

Business leaders are expected to welcome news that a preferred bidder for the airport has been found.

dingodiva
18th Oct 2006, 09:04
£60Mill is a serious lump of cash for an airport that made about £500k last year and is totally dependent on one customer- Flybe. I see that London City's role is to provide the daily operational/commercial management- negotiations between Gooding and Rutter should be fun!!!

bycrewlgw
18th Oct 2006, 09:24
Perhaps they see EXT as a perfect opportunity to create a hub for the south west. They have supported a YYZ service now for many years so no reason why other long haul services cannot be introduced. I'm sure many PAX in transit would love to avoid LHR / LGW if they could! Just my theory anyway!

devon_guy
18th Oct 2006, 11:03
I just hope it brings in some much needed competition for the airport, it desperately needs it, too many eggs in one basket at the moment.

chevvron
18th Oct 2006, 12:34
But Balfour Beatty have just sold London City haven't they?

devon_guy
18th Oct 2006, 12:51
Hmmm Flybe are on the local news saying the airport sale is threatening their business at the airport and jobs and routes may have to be pulled. I reckon thats Flybe speak for "we're ****ting ourselves that we won't have it so easy at Exeter and will actually have to pay a proper rate to fly from there and we might get competition" Anyone else got any thoughts??

turnipgreen
18th Oct 2006, 13:17
But Balfour Beatty have just sold London City haven't they?

I think Balfour Beatty were one of the bidders for LCY. They lost out to AIG/GE/Credit Suisse

crackling jet
18th Oct 2006, 14:22
So Balfour Beaty eh !, do they have any aviation background ? or is it " we can build an awful lot of houses on that big green open space, though not so many executive luxury houses"!, but we will soon get our 60 million back and some, quicker than £500,000 profits per annum. i hope thats not the case, but i do think they should have partnered Bristol when they had the chance.

Devonair
18th Oct 2006, 14:28
I think there will be a clause in the contract maintaining the site is used as an airport rather than housing... I also believe Devon County Council will maintain a sizeable share in the airport thus ensuring it remains an airport. The Exeter Airport website has a full press release on the subject.
http://www.exeter-airport.co.uk/site/1/airport_news.html?&nv_item=163

dingodiva
18th Oct 2006, 16:29
I reckon thats Flybe speak for "we're ****ting ourselves that we won't have it so easy at Exeter and will actually have to pay a proper rate to fly from there and we might get competition" Anyone else got any thoughts??

Devon Guy- right on both counts. Exeter is currently dependent on Flybe-but, equally, BE has a huge investment in their engineering facilities and Head Office, so an exit is highly unlikely. BE's threat may well be not to open any more services-if so, the Airport can only counter that by bringing in new, serious, competition and that will turn into a very robust discussion. Interesting times.

Richard Taylor
18th Oct 2006, 17:45
Hello guys.

Speaking of EXT-ABZ, anyone down your end know how sales are doing?

Specifically EXT through to ABZ rather than getting off at LBA. Any way of telling?

Was a tad surprised when Flybe announced it, not much to link us...except the Met Office!

Tourism?

Any oil rigs off your coast? ;)

turnipgreen
21st Oct 2006, 11:12
Anyone know what's the latest between Flybe and the new owners of the airport RCA? Were they meant to be meeting on Friday according to somethign i read?

GBALU53
22nd Oct 2006, 07:59
Like a lot of things in life when new management takes over, until Flybe gets stuck round a table and disscuss the future operations out of Exeter is is all speculations the new owners will not be helpful to improve operations out of there.

For many years Exeter has been behind the times but now Flybe has put fresh air into the area with all these new destinations

If we go back aboutseven or eight years they just had a Dash 8 200 (Very Little Dash) based there and now i think you will find One Boeing 737 300 to be replaced by an E195 shortly a Bae 146 which i would expect to be a E195 in the future and a super Dash 400.

This is a lot more seats than the little dash of thirty nine seats.

Also we must not forget the massive new complex of two very big hangars at the eastern end must have cost a million or two i have had the oppertunity to look around the smaller of the two last year and in that hangar alone was three 146s and a super dash and i understand the other hangar was larger.

The engineering work force they have and the service they provide to out side customers it would be stupid in my oppinion for the new owners not to work with Flybe.:ok:

turnipgreen
22nd Oct 2006, 10:56
The quotes I have read in the paper (on-line versions) are that the new management want to work with Flybe. I guess given the various opinions on this thread, do Flybe want to work with the new owners? Of course it would seem stupid if they both didn't want to work with each other! Lets hope they all get together successfully.

turnipgreen
3rd Nov 2006, 10:47
wondering what people think about this and the impact on Exeter operations? will some BACON routes from Bristol move to EXT??

marlowe
3rd Nov 2006, 11:32
Think there is every chance of that happening!!

Kellycsi
3rd Nov 2006, 11:46
wondering what people think about this and the impact on Exeter operations? will some BACON routes from Bristol move to EXT??
I hope not as I use them on a regular basis and I have no intention of travelling down the M5 would much rather go along the M4 to LHR.
Also I do think that they would be silly to pull out of BRS because of the catchment area and the much higher quality of the airport - but who knows :uhoh:

Bigt
3rd Nov 2006, 11:50
Cant see too much moving to EXT with the airport in its present state....but the new owner of the airport may change this.

Red Snake
3rd Nov 2006, 12:11
The main problem of moving BRS routes to Exeter is, for most of the catchment area, LHR then becomes the better option, being a similar distance.

It does look bad for the BA BRS routes. FlyBe seem fairly committed to leaving BRS.

Ah well, dust off the CV.

marlowe
3rd Nov 2006, 12:30
The Flybe press release for BRS spoke volumes by not saying anything!

turnipgreen
18th Nov 2006, 10:49
I havent managed to get down to Exeter for a few weekends. Has it all gone quiet with the airport takeover? Anyone have any news on plans or developments?

fly20
28th Nov 2006, 21:12
Looking good down here at EXT - new routes - to Nice, Rennes, and Avignon, plus more to be announced in the new year - DUS more than likely due to BE aquriing slots on an ext-dus service using the q400. Not quite sure how they can class the FAO as a new route tho (see website). Wouldn't be surprised if the EDI goes 3x daily and regularly have loads over 60 on both rotations, and once the sale goes through some flights to LCY? All gone quite on the EZY front - apparently some EZY ppl were seen measuring walls at EXT for signage - but no word as yet - maybe some of the 6 'strategic aircraft' (i.e. a/c they don't want to disclose a use for ) will be based at EXT, get some competition on the sun routes and edi, gla, bhd etc.

turnipgreen
2nd Dec 2006, 10:24
How are the new owners getting on? Anything about them in the local press?

Devonair
2nd Dec 2006, 13:42
With the launch of the 3 new French routes, I assume Flybe and the new owners have come to an agreement on airport charges, good news. Glad to see Rennes has been added, Exeter's twin city.

turnipgreen
29th Dec 2006, 11:32
Have the new consortium actually bought the airport yet?

devon_guy
29th Dec 2006, 12:43
No it's been held up, new expected completion date is late Jan as far as I'm aware.

danflybe
5th Jan 2007, 13:09
Taken from BBC news:

Airport sell-off nets county £60m
Devon County Council has sold Exeter International Airport for £60m.
It was bought by Regional and City Airports Limited (RCA) in a deal described by the authority as good news for the airport and the local economy.
Council leader Brian Greenslade said the council had doubled its money after a previous attempt to sell failed.
Exeter Airport, base to airline Flybe, was put back on the market in spring after the owners of Bristol airport pulled out due to competition concerns.
We shall take time and care on deciding how the money can be put to best use for Devon
Council leader Brian Greenslade
Mr Greenslade said: "We have effectively doubled our money in just 12 months compared to the net figure the county council would have received had the first sale process last year been concluded.
"It is a vindication of our decision to put the airport back on the market again and the value of exercising cool, measured judgement."
He said no decisions had been taken on how the cash would be spent.
"We shall take time and care on deciding how the money can be put to best use for Devon," he said.
RCA, part of engineering giant Balfour Beatty, said it wanted Exeter to become "the natural airport of choice for the region".
'Totally committed'
It is the first time Balfour Beatty has been involved with running an airport and it is bringing management experts from London City Airport to assist.
A spokeswoman said: "It is a departure for us, but we bring the experience of running other high-profile projects like hospitals and schools through the Private Finance Initiative.
"We are totally committed to the airport."
The airport has been in the hands of the county council since it was sold by the Ministry of Defence after World War II.
It has only started becoming profitable in the last five years.
Nearly one million passengers used the airport last year, up from 618,201 in 2004.

devon_guy
6th Jan 2007, 10:28
There are reports all in the local papers today about the sale and hints and major expansion and flights into London, most likey City Airport with who has now bought it don't you think??

msmorley
6th Jan 2007, 23:26
...most likey City Airport with who has now bought it don't you think??
Interestingly, LCY's website is currently canvassing opinions on new routes to BCN, VIE, ROM, HEL and... EXT :O

Flights to LCY would be great for onward connecting traffic but I'm not sure how well the route would compete with the train for general traffic to London given that many of the trains are timetabled to take two hours now.

m.

WOWBOY
7th Jan 2007, 18:21
Which airline would fly the EXT - LCY route though? I doubt Flybe would.

captainyonder
8th Jan 2007, 00:15
I don't think it's really an ASW style route. Maybe VLM or T3? A J41 would probably be just about the right size of aircraft for the route but it would mean Eastern opening up a new base at EXT, not that it's unheard of for them to do so for the sake of just one route. They don't have a crew base at either Bristol or Cardiff.

EI-BUD
8th Jan 2007, 07:05
If this route goes ahead I think VLM is by far the most likely airline going to be doing it. Scot Airways is a possibility but I couldnt see it. Athought Flybe are suitable in that they have an Exeter base, I cant see it.

Apart from that not many more alternatives, unless a new player is going to arrive at EXT. I understand that BE is renegotiating all fees with airports in advance of the Bacon integration, as such I could see a new owner at Exeter keen to have a second airline with a base at Exeter?

GBALU53
8th Jan 2007, 07:39
The ideal ones for that sort of route would be VLM or Scot Airways.

Flybe stopped operating the Jersey-London City and the Isle Man services when the last of the smaller Dashes left the home meaning the 300s and 200 Dashes they operated in the earlier days, which seem a long time ago now.

If a service does start it would have to be morning and late afternoon or early evening to try and work.

Some of the problems would be getting the slots at London City as the service would require some prime time ones Monday to Friday.

devon_guy
8th Jan 2007, 12:03
I would think it's almost a dead cert the new owners will try and encourage a new airline to base itself at EXT. Any business with any sense won't want all their eggs in one basket i.e Flybe.

WATABENCH
28th Jan 2007, 09:33
FCA will be visiting 4 times a week on W patterns in summer, 1 x 320 PFO, 1 x 757 MAH, 1 x 321 PMI, 1 x 321 FAO, Also LPA showing O/B with Futura and I/B with FCA, Could EXT be getting closer to a year round base?

devon_guy
10th Mar 2007, 11:38
Anyone know what the problems were with BE at the airport today?

Flybeeeee
11th Mar 2007, 15:52
Could be anything...

Out of interest, how do you know which airlines and aircraft will be operating in the summer? I used to look on a website but that hasn't been updated in like 2 years!!!

According to FCA, the B757 will be based at BRS this summer replacing the normal A321 so maybe they are considering placing this on more EXT routes. As much as that would be great, I want to see different airlines coming in in addition to the current ones.....More scheduled airlines would be cool at least they would be frequent arrivals/departures. Maybe GSM would consider EXT as they are adding Toronto/Hamilton this year. Any idea on a/c? B757 or B767??

Cheers

Flybeeeee
11th Mar 2007, 19:45
Any ideas on what other operators are coming in S07? I used to look at the 'Xair' website but quite frankly that is useless - last updated 2005!!
I know the usual visitors last year was LTE/Volar A320, Air Europa B738's, Futura B738's, Air Malta/XL A320, FCA B752/A320, Sun Express B738's, Onur Air A321, Air Transat A310, EuroCypria B738 Austrian Arrows F100, Sunadria F100, SATA A320, Viking Airlines MD83, BritishJet MD90 and of course the Flybe's........but would be nice to see some others.
Although, I don't think the Viking is operating this year. The BritishJet is still operating on Wednesdays (2nd year running) so demand for Malta must be high.
I used to like the MYT A320 coming in in the new colours...shame that stopped. It would be fab so get some more based aircraft however the problem is Flybe already use 4 stands and there isn't many as it is........Exeter Airport need to pull their finger out and start expanding the apron and terminal facilities before we shall see a large increase in operators.
There was a rumour a while ago that Ryanair were considering Exeter to London Stansted to replace the Newquay flights (after the Newquay departure tax argument) but havn't heard anything since.
The only new aircraft will be Blue Line F100 which will be operating some of the Flybe routes whilst Flybe wait for more Embraer 195's to be delivered.
When you think about it I suppose, Exeter does pretty bloody well over the summer:
Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Newcastle, Norwich, Leeds/Bford, Guernsey, Jersey, Manchester, Alicante, Faro, Palma, Nice, Avignon, Rennes, Bergerac, Brest, Paris CDG, Amsterdam, Malaga, Belfast, Dublin, Corfu, Crete, Tenerife, Minorca, Dalaman, Bodrum, Antalya, Paphos, Larnaca, Madeira, Las Palmas, Arrecife(Lanzarote), Toronto Pearson, Toronto Hamilton, Austria, Verona, Bulgaria, Malta, Ibiza, Monastir, Scilly Isles. :D (Proud I remembered most of them)

WATABENCH
12th Mar 2007, 10:03
The Oracle hey? quite like that one, might change my username!

FCA EXT Equipment this summer is as follows;

MON: EXT-MAH (W-Pattern from MAN) B757
TUE: EXT-PMI (W-Pattern from EMA) A321
WED: EXT-PFO (W-Pattern from EMA) A321
THUR: EXT-FAO (W-Pattern from LGW) A320

ENJOY!

Flybeeeee
12th Mar 2007, 11:17
Glad to see that the PFO a/c has changed this year. It has always been a A320 for as long as I can remember.

I am flying to Faro from BRS this summer so pleased about that - can't stand the A320's I am afraid.

Out of interest, has FCA ever shown any strong interest in basing an aircraft over the summer. I know the A320 is based during the winter season (maybe that will change next year) and also, do you think FCA would ever consider reinstating the Rhodes flights (They did this a few years ago when AMM) and also some other Greek destinations?

WATABENCH
12th Mar 2007, 12:16
There have been numerous rumours over the last few years about a full time EXT base for FCA, the latest that i'm aware of is that a 321 to be based from next summer 08, but as I said this is just rumour.
The problem for EXT as has been said before is that they've made it very hard for any other operator to recieve a good service down there, they tend to give a lot of priority to BE, also things like de-icing is done by BE so any other operator will be put to back of que, there is also very limited ramp and terminal space.
FCA certainly have a healthy intrest in EXT and the airport management does its best to maintain that relationship well.
What may go against an EXT base is the fact that BRS just up the road is a very strong base for them, 3rd busiest after LGW/MAN.
But then again it's no difference to BHX/EMA so who knows. :confused:

Flybeeeee
12th Mar 2007, 13:40
Completely understand what you say...all the more reason to get the EXT expansion programme up and running.

To be honest, as I have said already, I don't think there is feasability to any more expansion (operator wise) as the facilities are so limited. Try getting the number of passengers for an A321, two - three Dash8-Q400s and a Embraer 195 plus any additional aircraft ranging from A320 up to A310, then you have a problem on your hands especially if you are at the check-in desks!!

Last year, some of our passengers were waiting outside being given bottled water due to the lack of operational check-in desks.

embraernotworthy
13th Mar 2007, 00:25
Hi guys, this is my first post so please bear mith me. just acouple of points, with regard to the de-icing done by flybe at exeter, any a/c that need de-icing will always be done according to departure time,so if FCA are 3rd to depart then they will be done 3rd and not at the end and secondly there are 4x q400's that nightstop ext and not 3. Hope this clarifies a few points. Cheers.

Flybeeeee
13th Mar 2007, 10:57
Hi embraernotworthy,
I realised soon after posting that there were 4 Dash8-Q400s, operating our flights to EDI, GCI/JER, CDG and MAN first thing in the morning. Last time I noted it was 3 dash's, 1 B737 and a Bae 146-300 but that has all changed now :)
The de-icing will be completed based on departure time, your correct. However, for example currently on Tuesdays there are 3 flights departing at 0700. I think what WATABENCH is trying to say is that BE would be given priority (or at least we expect they would) as they are loyal to the airport and are the largest operator.
its nice to hear from you though - I havn't been here long and to be honest, this is the only forum (Airlines, Airports and Routes) which I will be posting on.......(much nicer people on this thread too!) Any info you have (in addition to what has already been said) with regards to Summer 2007 will be very much appreciated!

Flybeeeee
14th Mar 2007, 11:41
Anyone got any idea what the two Malpensa departures are for and what the a/c are?

14MAR07 1900 BV835 MALPENSA
14MAR07 1945 LM5508 MALPENSA

According to the airline code website, the first one is Blue Panorama and the second is Livingstone/Lauda Italy

Thanks

EGTE
14th Mar 2007, 17:15
Livingston A321 I-LIVB & Blue Panorama B752 EI-DKL. Operating on behalf of the MOD.

Flybeeeee
14th Mar 2007, 17:58
Thanks for that - do you know if and when they will be returning back to EXT?

EGTE
14th Mar 2007, 22:30
No idea I'm afraid. I didn't know these two were coming until they turned up!

aeulad
17th Mar 2007, 16:18
I see BE are planning to use the E95 on their Norwich route, this seems bizarre:bored:

Regards

Mike

Air Hop
17th Mar 2007, 21:34
This happens at the moment twice a week to fit the rotations. It is not a capacity issue.

Flybeeeee - No expectation of the 2 a/c returning. Shame it made a nice change on the apron:ok:

bean
17th Mar 2007, 22:51
The e195 will normally operate something like ext-agp agp-nwi nwi-ext & return same with other spain destinations.
Seems logical to generate at least a bit of revenue by crew operating back to base instead of taxying

Devonair
11th Apr 2007, 11:24
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=137015&command=displayContent&sourceNode=136999&contentPK=17077535&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

Good to see. Look forward to Rennes and Nice flights starting in May.

svenny
11th Apr 2007, 17:00
any news about a new operator coming down to exeter now that the airport has new owners?

easyJet Galley King
11th Apr 2007, 23:46
Can someone confirm to me , that Summer Wednesday's now involve 2x Toronto flights? The regular Air Transat A310 service to Pearson (YYZ) via BHX along with what I can only assume is a B763 direct with FlyGlobespan to Hamilton (YHM)? Both landing within 2 hours of each other?

Love Exeter to bits - used to be a ramp guy there, but man alive, that'll be a day to avoid flying from this already heavily cramped airport.

Would make the airfield ops day a bit tricky too allocating parking stands if they both turned up together, let alone having enough equipment and manpower to deal with it all. :ooh:

Where will they park all the Flybe's.......?

EGTE
12th Apr 2007, 06:50
Timings of the two Wednesday Toronto services are scheduled to be...

In Out From To
Flyglobespan B752 08:25 - 09:05 Hamilton/Stansted
Air Transat A310 10:10 - 12:00 Pearson/Pearson
Flyglobespan B752 12:40 - 13:20 Stansted/Hamilton

There is an Onur Air A321 scheduled for 09:00 - 10:00 as well!

easyJet Galley King
12th Apr 2007, 10:30
So what your saying EGTE is that the FlyGlobespan is infact a YHM-EXT-STN-EXT-YHM service?

As its only a B752, that makes it a little easier to accomodate them all!

Scheduled Onur Air A321? Antalaya, Bodrum, or Dalaman?

EGTE
12th Apr 2007, 17:41
Indeed it is.
The Onur Air is a Bodrum service.

WATABENCH
12th Apr 2007, 21:37
Quite a few more FCA flights for summer 08 new services to IBZ and PMI

aeulad
12th Apr 2007, 23:21
Is looking like some form of a based aircraft with early out of EXT on several days of the week.

Regards

Mike

WATABENCH
13th Apr 2007, 22:36
Would be nice but FCA wouldnt base an aircraft in the summer and only use it for 1 rotation a day, I suspect it could be a shared a/c of some sort with another base doing W patterns, will have to check out the return flight times, that'll give indication.

aeulad
19th Apr 2007, 09:40
No based a/c for summer 08 from FCA. First Choice have put the flight times on their website the wrong way round, so still only W patterns, as with this year.

Regards

MIke

WATABENCH
23rd Apr 2007, 14:39
FCA today announced that EXT is their new year round base, 1 320 to be based from november with the loss of FCA bases in LTN and CWL

aeulad
23rd Apr 2007, 15:45
oops, my bad:\

sorry people

Regards

Mike

alexj83
24th Apr 2007, 19:29
Heya Guys,

Has there been any more info released about the proposed Class D CTA/CTR for Exeter, with the desired links to the airway system? Been searching around everywhere and even e-mailed the lads at the airport with no luck. All I can find on the web is a vague date for implementation Late 2008.

Any Info would be appreciated!

Thanks

Alex

robin
25th Apr 2007, 00:33
Last thing we heard was the sale of the airport put this on hold. It's still in the list of 'things to do', but is low priority at the moment.

alexj83
27th Apr 2007, 13:44
I am looking forward to seeing how quickly the RCA team start to put their presence in on the airfield.

I noticed the other week whilst I was down there, the new airport logo is now on display outside the terminal and the website has had a revamp. Probably as part of a new airport image to make it clear it's under new management.

It is posted on the airport website that they will be improving the infrastructure airside, hopefully getting on with the new terminal too!

Reading other forums, it seems VLM are a bit sporadic in choosing new routes as it has been rumoured that they are looking at a CWL-LCY/MCT
route, is there anything further from them regarding a City route for EXT?

Alex

danflybe
27th Apr 2007, 21:51
Does anyone know with the year round basing of an a/c at EXT will this see the introduction of a crew base at the airport?

WATABENCH
28th Apr 2007, 19:14
Should do Dan. keep checking FC website/jobs section, they obviously need to offer as many places to the poor CWL crew first, poor sods have been running back and forth for 4 winters now, only to have that dumped on them. :uhoh:

danflybe
29th Apr 2007, 19:48
Yeah of course. FCA crew always seem a great bunch when I see them in the airport. Good luck to all the CWL crew out there - if relocation to EXT is an option I hope to see alot more of you around the airport soon.

Thanks WATABENCH will keep an eye on the website!

alexj83
8th May 2007, 15:20
The First flight between Exeter & Rennes took place today with flyBE operating.

The flight will operate on Tuesdays & Thursdays and allow Exeter to be linked with direct flights to it's twin City.

With the first flyGlobespan offering starting up on Thursday this week, will we see any more routes starting up soon?

embraernotworthy
8th May 2007, 17:09
Dont think there is any room to park anymore at the moment!!!! a/c moves at night just to accomodate the nightstoppers at the mo! More stands required urgently. Dont mention more a/c to the ground crew and pax handling staff, as already at bursting point!:ugh:

alexj83
8th May 2007, 17:24
Yeah makes sense,

I guess that an extended apron area will be a high priority on the new management's minds, if they want to attract new punters they're going to have to make provision for them.

I heard something about the Grass Apron being concreted for 3 new stands.

EGTE
9th May 2007, 07:59
And I've heard seven new stands! Extension of the apron on to the grass parking opposite the Exeter Flying Club - as far as "The D" - was proposed at least 18 months ago. It was put off pending the airport sale as the County Council didn't want to spend the money at the time.

alexj83
9th May 2007, 14:37
So were talking from abeam Stand 10, up some and then along to the D, making a back to back apron something like the apron at Bournemouth.

alexj83
12th May 2007, 06:54
Heya,

I've been hearing alot about the TOM/FCA Merger. (Which I don't claim to know much about to be honest!)

Will this affect the operations out of Exeter? I've heard that FCA is becomming the long haul area of the merger, so does that mean our FCA basing is going to turn into a TOM one?

Anyone that could shed some light?

Thanks

Alex

airhumberside
12th May 2007, 09:20
FCA opening a full, year round base at Exeter next summer

Eventually FCA (at least short haul, and probably long haul) will merge with TOM under either the ThomsonFly or TUIFly name. The Exeter based aircraft will fly under this brand

devon_guy
15th May 2007, 12:58
Are we ever likely to see any competition for Flybe down here? Prices seem to be steadily increasing and a little rivalry wouldn't go amiss. It seems silly for an airport to put all their eggs in one basket too.

Another question.....how come the BA flight to NQY landed in EXT this afternoon?

Air Hop
15th May 2007, 18:12
The BA NQY was due to the old favourite weather. There was also a BA31, AS355, TBM7 and I think a BE90 all for the same reason.

On a different note does anyone know what the F100 is doing and why it is parked on the apron? I thought it was for Flybe but a 143 operated today:confused:

danflybe
15th May 2007, 23:58
Security issues with the F100 crew meant that the a/c couldn't operate today

lotman1000
18th May 2007, 17:38
Security issues with the F100 crew meant that the a/c couldn't operate today

Eh? What "issues"? Were they found to be terrorists? Any more information?

Are there obstruction issues with putting big aircraft where little ones used to park on the grass? Getting a bit close to the instrument strip and 1:7 sideslope?

danflybe
19th May 2007, 00:21
There was a problem with issuing temporary airside security passes.

Air Hop
20th May 2007, 09:16
What large aircraft on grass. It looks to be the same as every year C152, Be76 etc:confused:

alexj83
20th May 2007, 15:34
Was the 'putting big aircraft where little ones used to park' a reference to the proposed apron expansion?

If not then I'm confused lol

lotman1000
21st May 2007, 14:10
Why confused? See posts 176-178 re parking on grass in front of EFC...............

birdscarer
21st May 2007, 22:01
It will be interesting to see how EXT pans out. Its a great team down there. Shame its dominated by baby-blue. Lets hope they get there apron extention soon!

alexj83
17th Jun 2007, 12:59
Heya Guys,

Has anyone seen the NOTAM that went out a few days ago? Looks like they've widened taxiways A & by 10 centimeters! I wonder if they have a concrete qouta ;)

Anyone have any ideas why they've widened it by such a small amount?

Also, if anyone is interested a very hig res aerial view of Exeter is now available on Google Earth. Quite up to date too.

Cheers,

Alex

msmorley
17th Jun 2007, 13:16
a very hig res aerial view of Exeter is now available on Google Earth. Quite up to date too.

Thanks for that, I was wondering when they'd give us some decent imagery :ok: (though it looks to be circa 2002-2003).

m.

Itswindyout
18th Jun 2007, 06:08
Am I to understand that the aircraft was from a scheduled carrier.?

That the crew could not gain access to the aircraft.?

Does that mean that a visiting aircraft crew, would not be able to regain access to their own aircraft.?

I assume that the aircraft will continue to be charged for parking, and held to ransom by the airport operator, as the crew are prohibited access to what might be their own property.?

Why should crew be refuses airside access to their aircraft, on the basis on NO airside pass.?

Am I expected to have airside passes for every airport in the world.?

Is Exeter, being paranoid, or what.?

windy

GBALU53
18th Jun 2007, 07:10
Itswindyout

I think the answer to this one is, Flybe has a Fokker 100 on lease from Trade Air of Croatia.
It looks like that with the Crews being based at Exeter for a period of time and not transiting through, they require Local I.D passes for Exeter Airport this would not only apply to Exeter if you are on a secondment for a period of time you will require to hold a new I.D.for the temp base you are at.:ok:

alexj83
5th Jul 2007, 23:24
Heya

One of the Exeter Flying Club aircraft have been taken out of use due to damage caused by a broken drain on the southside disused! All the GA has been moved onto the disused due to waterlogged grass.

I've heard various rumours of EZY considering Exeter again once RYR move to their new permenant base at BRS however I see this as unlikely.

I've also heard that Balfour is considering a 500m runway extension and a full length taxiway. I don't see the need for the runway extension however, the full length taxiway would be very useful!

It looks like Balfour are cracking on with things though now, the terminal looks a bit cleaner on the inside now and the new airside/landside arrangement for the passengers is brilliant.

Now all they need to do is working on brining in the airlines except baby blue. Hopefully when FCA moves in full time in November they might prove that it's safe!

Alex

Lucy Lastic
5th Jul 2007, 23:35
The starter extension would make the runway uable for more heavily loaded aircaft to use the airport. One year the plane I was on going to Teneriffe had to stop at Faro to take on fuel.

The other problem with Exeter is that they have now cut off the restaurant/bar/viewing area by a new wall, so they are now airside. You need to be a passenger to get to them - this has p**d off many visitors

SandLat650
5th Jul 2007, 23:55
Any runway extension is welcome, however don't think that it solves all the problems.
For rwy 26 it would be fine, but rwy 08 would still be limited due to the hill by the junction to Ottery on the A30 (climb out gradient restrictions, etc). Operating A320's out of EXT in the winter to Tenerife, if the runway in use was 08 and we had a full load, we were close to the limits. It would be worse in summer; I never did it so I can't say how bad it would be, but I'd guess it would be significant on a really hot day. Extending at the 26 threshold doesnt help therefore and extending west from the present 08 threshold would be difficult (and expensive) due to the terrain and the small matter of Clyst Honiton.
On most days, big aircraft will opt for 26 with a tailwind. However if the tailwind component is above 10 kts, most (if not all) aircraft will have to use 08 with the corresponding reduction in take-off weight and hence range.

Capot
6th Jul 2007, 10:07
And then there's the problem of the RESA on the western end.......

alexj83
6th Jul 2007, 16:30
Heya,

For the current uses of the airfield, I do not see the immediate need for an extension, AFAIK there are no performance limitations which would affect the airfield at the moment.

What I think they really need to look at is the taxiways & apron areas. They are dodgy at best. Whatever new stands we get will be good news and hopefully relieve some of the PPR requirements that are very strict at Exeter.

A full lenght taxiway would be nice too, would increase the number of movements possible.

With the new stands, and the removal of the grass apron, all GA is being moved northside which is good as it no longer requires them crossing the runway at C to taxi down F.

Air Hop
7th Jul 2007, 20:38
Dodgy at best????

This seems a bit strong. Yes more space and improved facilities would be nice but as a regional airport handling 1,000,000 pax p.a. things can't be that bad. The guys and gals there deserve praise:D. Changes seem to be happening in relatively short time.

Every time I have used the airport it has always been an enjoyable experience:ok:.

alexj83
7th Jul 2007, 21:00
Heya,

I wasn't insulting the safety or quality of the infrastructure just it isn't exactly ideal for a growing international airport.

They've done an amazing job with what they've got and now they've got some support behind them they should be able to crack on and get things sorted.

alexj83
11th Jul 2007, 22:22
Ref: C3154/07
FIR: EGTT
Code: FALT
Traffic: VFR IFR
Purpose: Immed. atten. aircraft operators PIB entry Operationally significant for flights
Scope: Aerodrome
Lower limit (FL): 000
Upper limit (FL): 999
Centre and radius (nm): 5044N00325W005
Parent ICAO: EGTE
Start date/time: 14/07/2007 23:00 UTC
End date/time: 15/07/2007 06:00 UTC
Activity period: null
Lower height limit: 000
Upper height limit: 999
NO DIVERSIONS OR EXTENSION OF HOURS DUE WIP

Looks like some lamps have failed lol!

Air Hop
13th Jul 2007, 15:15
Have spoken to someone in the know at EXT. Not lighting problems just airfield works. There are no scheduled flighs at this time in any case.

alexj83
13th Jul 2007, 21:38
Yeah, the airfield has been undergoing a 5 week maintenance process. Re-painting taxiway centerlines & holding points etc.

alexj83
15th Jul 2007, 21:32
Heya,

Has anyone got any idea when the masterplan is due to be published for consultation?

Alex

WATABENCH
22nd Jul 2007, 10:38
FCA routes for based A320 summer 08,
FAO,CFU,PFO,LCA,IBZ,PMI,FNC,ACE,MAH,TFS,BJV,DLM

devon_guy
23rd Jul 2007, 11:23
Well FCA ever put a premier class type thing on their short haul flights again? I always thought it was popular when they did it until last year.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247522&page=5&highlight=first+choice (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247522&page=5&highlight=first+choice)

WATABENCH
24th Jul 2007, 23:09
FCA have Prem on their 321's but its nothing like the long haul FCA prem.
Also they only have 3 x 321's left in the fleet, my guess would be that these will go as soon as the leases are up, they're currently based 1 x lgw, 1 x stn and 1 x ema.
BRS used to be a 321 base with 2 of them until nov 06.

ADC2604
6th Aug 2007, 18:06
I see from the latest travel brochure that FCA will be operating a Exeter to Rhodes service next summer.......are the other charters still going to operate (JKK, AEA etc) in competition with FCA. Its great that there will be a based aircraft but its a bit boring - an A320 to operate everything!

WATABENCH
6th Aug 2007, 20:31
No offense, but i think you should be greatful for getting a year round based charter aircraft(regardless of what type), especially at CWL's expense, lets not forget EXT is still a very small fish in a very big pond, FCA must have a lot of faith in EXT especially when they could quite of easily put a 3rd base unit in BRS instead to compliment the 2x757s and weekend visiting 767. I think EXT have done really well to get this contract.
I'm sure that you will still get your usual visitors AEA etc... as FC hols will probably want most of the allocaton themselves, especially with the concentration of FC shops(ex Bakers Dolphin) in the area.

ADC2604
6th Aug 2007, 20:33
Why should I be grateful? I was just enquiring as to whether the other charters would still come in and out......whilst its good we would have a based a/c its still nice to see other movements in and out of the airport.

WATABENCH
6th Aug 2007, 20:56
Sorry I dont mean you personally mate,
I mean EXT airports management have done really well to land a contract with what is going to be (come October) the largest charter airline in the whole of europe, especially when the 3rd busiest UK base for FCA is just 70 miles up the road!
The users of EXT should be greatful(and i'm sure they will) to have more routes and more choice using a UK carrier as it could quite easily of gone to BRS.
EXT with its close tie in with BE makes it hard for another airline to come in and base(as has been said numeous times on this thread before), so fair play to FCA for giving it a go, and fair play to the management of EXT for persuading them so well.
Lets not forget FCA have pulled out of CWL and LTN to base in EXT!
I'm pretty sure that you'll still see lots of other movements, I doubt very much that the likes of the new TC/MYT will be wanting to use FCA.
I'm sure EXT will prove a great success year round for FCA. :ok:

ADC2604
7th Aug 2007, 17:59
Yeah it is good - especially if Rhodes kicks off, would be nice to see some more Greek destinations.

There have been so many rumours flying around that BE will introduce BRU and some German routes......if this goes ahead we could see anything up to 8 or 9 based a/c at EXT.

devon_guy
7th Aug 2007, 18:01
I can't see them introducing BRU seeing as they have just introduced a codeshare with SN from BRS. They did have clearance to fly a daily to Dusseldorf but I see that's now disappeared from the german airports site so not sure if we will see any German routes....

ADC2604
7th Aug 2007, 18:04
Yeah I know the SN codeshare may put them off abit but I still think there is a market even if its just the one rotation a day (like the AMS is)

I shall keep saying this, role on the day when an airline announce LCY! I know BE won't but I would love to be able to go up to LCY and back in a day....I am on a mission to get an airline to do it :ok:

devon_guy
7th Aug 2007, 18:07
I just wish RCA would try and encourage some competition down here, it's silly having only one scheduled airline operating from the airport.

airhumberside
7th Aug 2007, 19:52
devon_guy - dont forget Isle of Scilly Skybus ;) (and GSM are also scheduled, even though only operating once a week)

embraernotworthy
7th Aug 2007, 19:55
They need alot more room first mate before anyone else could even get in!!! Its crazy juggling all the a/c at the mo and makes a dam sight more work for everyone!! More space then more competition please RCA!!!:ugh:

ADC2604
17th Aug 2007, 21:03
Read in the paper that EXT will double passenger figures by 2010......they need to get a move on then with the construction of a bigger terminal. Gone quiet on the EXT front.......no news to report??

ADC2604
18th Aug 2007, 15:23
MerchantVenturer

Yes. :p

Wow, another airline offering scheduled flights......cool although it had better be more substantial than one flight a week like GSM do on their YHM service. EXT has done well I am not saying they havn't, but they could do even better and I just cannot wait before I drive to work and see a brand new terminal building with an apron full and aircraft.

birdscarer
18th Aug 2007, 21:04
Don't forget that EXT is a FlyBe base. Given thier past aggressive behaviour, I would imagine they will throw thier toys out the pram if Easyjet or the like wanted to operate out of EXT. Are the airport in the position to stand up to them? (They certainly need to sooner than later!)

ADC2604
18th Aug 2007, 21:34
I think they should - I work for Flybe and I really cannot see them pulling out all together if another carrier did come in....its got to be expected for a fast growing airport.

Air Hop
15th Sep 2007, 21:19
Three items:
Shame about the reason, but the line up of Flybe DH4's on the northside yesterday looked nice. Does anyone know if any other airlines are likely to be ferrying any other aircraft in?
The new construction on the northside seems to be also progressing. I presume it is related to the engine run but can anyone confirm?
Transat are showing a 0600 arrival on their website for next year. That should be interesting considering that the Flybe departures will not have gone and with the FCA in addition it is going to be trying on the facilities to say the least. Anyone any further info on next year or any planned developments?

ADC2604
16th Sep 2007, 16:09
Hi Air Hop

As far as I know, there was a sub aircraft in EXT for the D4s, probably a Titan as it positioned in from STN. We are hoping to have everything reasonably back on track on Tuesday so I don't expect that there will be any additional subs in at EXT.

The line up was nice and I only wish I had my camera on me at the time.

I do hope that the TS flight doesn't arrive at 06:00 because I will not see it before I start work....at least at the moment I see it during my lunch break! Would be interesting though as you say because the 1st departure is at 06:30 and the apron is reasonably busy at that time.

TS would be better putting it forward a couple of hours. At the moment the Wednesday morning has a GSM B757 and an Onur Air A321 plus any BEs that may have a small delay at about 08:30

extalex
17th Sep 2007, 15:58
Hey Guys,

What's this about construction on the northside? Last time I went I didn't see anything although considering the outside viewing area was closed I couldnt see much!

Any further news on development, construction etc?

Alex

embraernotworthy
18th Sep 2007, 00:55
hi. the construction on the north side is the engine run area having a deflector fitted!!! and rumour has it that balfour beattie are gonna sell the airport again in the next few years!!!:ugh: so maybe no more consruction planned!! best of luck to the guys and girls working there, by the sounds of it ,it aint gonna get any better!!!

extalex
20th Sep 2007, 16:59
Heya,

Is this a quick profit job by the partnership then? Or are there some darker reasons why they want to sell so quickly?

Alex

RHagrid
29th Sep 2007, 21:25
So with all their talk of expansion, creating customer choice, making EGTE the gateway to the Southwest(Sic) and encouraging new operators, etc, etc.
How can one of RCA/Balfour Beattie's first decisions is to refuse Easyjets application to run a STN-GVA-EXT-GVA-STN during Winter 2007/8 because it might upset JEE.
If M. Rutter (aka. The John Prescott of airline management) has the incriminating evidence that prevents anyone but FLYBe operate from EXETER, i'd love to see the negatives!!
Where's the Monopolies commission when you need em.
P.S. JEE Frankfurt starts April 2008. But don't bother to book coz the DHC8D's will be U/S anyway.

embraernotworthy
29th Sep 2007, 22:16
RHagrid-- go back from whence you came ........................... it was the airport that allegedly said no to easyjet and also who says its gonna be a dash that does the frankfurt!!! we do have other aircraft!!!!!!!!!!!!! of course you never ever see or hear of another airlines aircraft go tech do you!!!!!! obviously have your head in the sand!!!!!!

birdscarer
29th Sep 2007, 23:34
Of course it was the airport that said no. Last time I checked BB owned EXT and FlyBe were just the customers. However EZY would open a nice amount of routes from EXT in time and a certain babyblue airline would be most upset. Given the fact that SOU are now BEE's largest base, EXT probably fear a backlash (Ryanair style!) that they will relocate there. So I guess what i am saying in EXT management have thier hands tied.

extalex
30th Sep 2007, 11:36
Heya,

I also feel EXT have their hands tied in this, flyBE are happy at the moment because they have the low-cost monopoly at Exeter. If easyJet were to arrive it would upset the balance and flyBE would be up in arms, and would probably stop any expansion or cut down on routes altogether e.g Bristol.

Not to mention current apron constraints would also place restrictions on other airlines coming in at the moment, especially if FCA want to base another aircraft here in '09.

I would like to see some more competition down in Exeter but the management have to be very careful not to upset the balance with flyBE and end up losing out.

Alex

ADC2604
30th Sep 2007, 16:19
RHagrid - Ha, its people like you who do make me laugh so! Completely cuddled up in their own little fairyland without any idea of reality............

The FRA probably would be operated by the D8-400 but whats the problem with that? Far more comfortable onboard than the ATRs which I believe operate to the UK on similar services (Lufthansa) Or at least they have in the past!

I do not think BE would leave Exeter if another airline joined them on the apron at EXT...afterall they have invested alot of money into EXT and I simply cannot believe that they would up and leave just because of a little bit of competition. They compete with EZY out of LGW and have excellent load factors so why should EXT be any different?

Also can I ask how you know BE will defo operate a FRA service from EXT next year? Where is your source??

birdscarer
30th Sep 2007, 18:22
ADC2604 - Atleast your answers are more reliable than your airline! :}

easyJet Galley King
30th Sep 2007, 21:05
I heard rumours of a possible easyJet service from Exeter but a STN-GVA-EXT-GVA-STN would have been a wonderful addition to ther Exeter flying programme. Considering BE only over a 1x weekly service (Granted, this may change for the next winter season) it would be a massive boost for this south west airport. I wonder if the airports current capacity was a deciding factor in this.

Lets get some more competition in Exeter and break the flybe monopoly though hey? Until then, Bristol here i come.

JobsaGoodun
1st Oct 2007, 07:36
EXT has a very difficult task in attracting new operators.
Obviously, as the largest customer, Flybe is gonna have some clout and will justifiably hold its ground to protect its business however this is at direct odds to the airport who need more traffic to grow theirs.
They need to attract airlines that will offer additional services to Flybe but that will not damage the existing services as Flybe is their 'bread + butter' daily source of income. Any GVA service by EZY will be flown by their Swiss division as it is in Bournemouth, however I would imagine that within a couple years you may see additional destinations such as Grenoble or some sun routes creeping in.
I think Flybe may need to accept that the days of having airports to themselves is coming to an end. You only have to look at BHX with WW, BHD with FR, and EMA,BRS,LTN,STN,LPL where FR + EZY offer services to see that things are beginning to get tight. At the moment all is well as the economy is bouyant, however if there is a downturn around the corner we could see one huge bloodbath as airlines more actively compete against one another for passengers.
Flybe will be able to survive out of Exeter. The Q400 operating to places such as GLA/EDI compliments the EZY operation out of BRS and does not actively compete with it due to capacities. It is likely that any heavy interest shown by EZY at EXT will only result in them damagin the Flybe operation whilst removing traffic from similar destinations offered by themselves ex BRS.

embraernotworthy
2nd Oct 2007, 17:54
So Mr RDA/Balfour Beattie Where exactly is this airport master plan promised for September??? Lost the fag packet i suspect!!! So much for the moral of the staff , let alone the what the passengers think!! Should that have read Sept 08?? Promises promises!!!:ugh:

Devonair
6th Oct 2007, 11:44
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=142326&command=displayContent&sourceNode=142321&contentPK=18594328&folderPk=79876&pNodeId=142331

NickBarnes
6th Oct 2007, 13:16
Must be in talks with VLM, do you think?

ADC2604
6th Oct 2007, 17:17
Oh I am pleased - about time.

VLM, AF/CityJet are my guesses - not sure on the third though...........possibly FR to Stansted - I heard a long long time ago about FR scrapping their NQY service in favour to EXT however not sure how this would work with FR having a base at BRS

The next few months will be very interesting.

easyJet Galley King
6th Oct 2007, 18:14
VLM, AF/CityJet are my guesses - not sure on the third though...........

I know that it would probably be into LCY seens as its the same owners, but maybe Air Southwest might consider EXT as an alternate to PLH/BRS? Most likely into LGW though.

Probably end up being Flybe though. :ugh:

ADC2604
6th Oct 2007, 21:51
I would be surprised if it were BE because they have already confirmed no interest in this route.

Possibly be ASW but then again last time I conversed with them they too had no interest in such route.

Well time will tell.

chrism20
6th Oct 2007, 22:02
Didn't BE pull out of LCY previously when they replaced the Q300's with the newer Q400's?

Would be very unlikely to be them.

Money definately on either VLM or Cityjet with one of the Scotairways Dorniers

ADC2604
12th Oct 2007, 21:32
The news article suggests that the airport is in talks with 2 or 3 airlines for a number of routes not just LCY.....where would these routes be I wonder......so much potential such little apron space

petey156
13th Oct 2007, 19:22
did exeter airport recently attend the routes conference in stockholm but flybe did not attend? what new routes will exeter get within the next couple of years??
also, what has happened to the publication of the airport masterplan???

ADC2604
14th Oct 2007, 10:58
EXT I understand did, BE did not.

I guess EXT want BRU, German routes but can't think where else would work bearing in mind BRS up the road have a wide variety of destinations.

easyJet Galley King
14th Oct 2007, 15:22
I thought BRU was already confirmed? To start in Mar '08? Read that in the local paper a while ago, when the Eurostar moved to St Pancras. Local business leaders were now worried that it would now add a considerable amount of time to get to Brussels, as before you could get a train direct to Waterloo, and connect to Eurostar. And apparantly, alot of peope fron the South West did this quite frequently.

ADC2604
14th Oct 2007, 17:37
Well nothing had been announced......they wanted it but to date they havn't said that it would defo be operated.

ADC2604
17th Oct 2007, 15:53
Big article in the E+E today about FCA wanting to use the Dreamliner from Exeter on long haul - amazing if it does.

I just wish those people opposed to the airport would pi*s off and move away - why the hell move to a city where there is a flightpath over it if they don't like the noise :ugh:

Also FRA off the cards for BE - can't get slots or something

Well lets see if their new summer schedule brings any new routes.

WATABENCH
17th Oct 2007, 19:01
Whats E+E? do you have a web link that we could use. :ok:

Devonair
17th Oct 2007, 19:07
E+E = Express & Echo (local Exeter paper)
http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=141529&command=displayContent&sourceNode=141513&contentPK=18696597&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch
Above link was in the Western Morning News

ADC2604
17th Oct 2007, 20:09
This is the reference to the Dreamliner

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=137015&command=displayContent&sourceNode=136999&contentPK=18698405&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

ADC2604
19th Oct 2007, 19:40
QUERY

I notice that a MYT A321 has been into EXT three weeks running...is this regular over the winter or just the last few weeks before the winter schedules start.

embraernotworthy
7th Nov 2007, 07:08
any truth in the rumour that the long awaited building work for the new stands is going to start next week, anyone?????

extalex
7th Nov 2007, 09:10
Heya,

They said in the Airport User Group minutes that construction would be finished by the end of the Winter for 2 new stands on the southside. So the fact that they are starting next week would seem to support this.

Also, there was talk of putting down some reinforcing mesh on the grass arpon in order to make is useable all year round... perhaps they are thinking of making the disused southside a taxiway in the future...

Any other news down there?

There hasn't been any posts for quite a while it seems.

Alex

extalex
22nd Nov 2007, 21:34
Heya Guys,

Just a quick callout for any news on the airfield...

Has anyone got any pictures of the new run-up area on the northside?

Can anyone confirm that the construction for the new stands has started? IF so how many are being constructed and where?

Any other news is welcome!!!

Alex

robin
22nd Nov 2007, 21:48
I understand that the new stands will be starting soon and some of the buildings on the south side will be demolished to make way for some 'quik-build' offices.

Master plan has been put off (yet again)

embraernotworthy
23rd Nov 2007, 07:37
saw the surveyors doing their bit last monday for the new stands south side but that was all!! will the master plan ever be ready????

EGBE0523
23rd Nov 2007, 09:29
"qucik-build' offices."

So we are talking Tents or if the budget can stand it Portacabins!