PDA

View Full Version : Whitchurch aerodrome

Tiger_mate
16th Oct 2005, 17:47
Whilst checking out info on the numerous cockpit challenges, I came across several references to "Whitchurch" aerodrome, in reference to Imperial Airways HP42s in particular.

Now I now there is a Whitchurch in Hampshire, and one also in Cheshire, and quite possibly others.

Does anybody know which Whitchurch aerodrome the refernces were referring to?

The magic of google, its in Bristol!

Whitchurch was placed on the airways map with the construction of Whitchurch Aerodrome; for many years the main airport for Bristol. World War II, Imperial Airways established a maintenance depot on the airfield for the major overhaul of their aircraft. Also during the war, and airline service was maintained to Lisbon from Whitchurch Aerodrome and it was on one of the scheduled flights to Lisbon that an aircraft carrying film star Leslie Howard was lost over the Bay of Biscay.

So now does anybody know what became of the site?

Flap40
16th Oct 2005, 18:50
If it is where I think it is, part of the runway is still visable. See http://uk2.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=51.4148&lon=-2.584&scale=10000&icon=x

You may need to click the aerial photo button above the map.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Oct 2005, 19:39
Just to re-inforce what you've found so far, Whitchurch in Hampshire is a few miles from Popham. I've probably spent at-least a hundred hours flying close to it, and never seen anything resembling a current or former aerodrome.

Since it's my favourite area for practicing PFLs, I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed anything there.

G

AngloPepper
17th Oct 2005, 00:17
Courtesy of Action Stations #5

Opened 1930 for Bristol and Wessex Flying Club. Used briefly by a reserve flying school just before the war. Thereafter became BOAC's main operating base (till 1944) as well as an ATA hub. Various airlines tried to operate from there after the war, but all failed, leaving only the flying club to close the doors in 1957 when they were forced by urban encroachment to move out to foggy Lulsgate.

Sorry about the precis; my fingers are tired!

BEagle
17th Oct 2005, 05:06
Yes - I can just about remember the TV news item at the time! And how new Lulsgate seemed - many a time we'd go to have tea in the restaurant and then go out onto the terrace to watch the dakotas, Herons etc.

How very civilised it all was back then.

But the runway is still too short, it's still too foggy and the access by road is abysmal! They should have used Filton instead!

skua
17th Oct 2005, 20:34
I think Whitchurch is now the site of the head office of Somerfield, the supermarket people. It is a very nondescript area. I seem to recall a vaguely aviation related sounding pub nearby, but I havent spotted any aviation looking buildings when nearby.

As for Lulsgate it has extreme pretensions of international airport status when I have flown in recently, and I agree, it does seem to have more than its share of S***e wx.

Skua

VnV2178B
18th Oct 2005, 10:56
Wasn't the Whitchurch pub the 'Belvedere' after that strange twin-rotor helicopter that Bristol cobbled together?

Last time I was there was 1971, when the annual 24 hour pedal-car races were held. Anyone remember those!!?!

VnV

TD&H
18th Oct 2005, 14:25
Whitchurch, Mousehold and other aerodromes:

By coincidence I have just opened a booklet titled '1936 Achievements' published by Wakefield and Co (i.e Castrol Oil) listing the many achievements in that year in craft using Castrol. Tommy Rose, Amy Mollison, George Eyston et al, in and on Motorbikes, Diesel Racing Cars, Aeroplanes etc.

The King's Cup was won by Mr C Gardner in his Vega Gull. The (longer, first day, eliminating) course was from Hatfield via Norwich (Mousehold), Tollerton, a refuel point at Bristol (WHITCHURCH) Aerodrome, then via a turn at High Post to a secong refuel at Shoreham, then the final leg via Ansty Aerodrome to then land back at Hatfield.

ATCO1987
18th Oct 2005, 15:13
Somerfield HQ isnt on the aerodrome itself, its next to it.

Most of the runway is gone now due to the development of Hengrove Leisure Park a few years back, and the more recent development of a childrens park or something along those lines I believe.

What I believe to be the old hangars of the airfield are now Whitchurch Sports Centre.

For more info on the history of Bristol Airport visit: http://www.bristolairport.com/information/general/corporateinfo/history.aspx

Dan.