PDA

View Full Version : Single v Twin Helicopters.

Cyclic Hotline
11th Feb 2000, 05:15
There are specific applications for the use of Twin (multi-engine) helicopters, to which I am completely and emphatically committed. However, the current regulatory moves (in certain fields) toward the utilization of twin helicopters in the "interests of safety", may not be as simple as it first appears.

My difficulty in interpreting this originates in simple statistics. Do the Single engine v Twin engine accident rates, calculated from industry standards, support this contention? Helicopter accidents occur for a multitude of reasons other than engine failures, is it simply a case of 2 engines good, 1 engine bad?

Secondly, if you are operating a twin engine helicopter that is incapable of sustaining flight on a single engine at higher gross weights, what is the advantage of having 2 engines anyway?

Some have suggested that, statistically, the probability of an engine failure with two engines, is double that of a single engine (as you have 2 chances of failure). I am much more comfortable with the single powerplant installed in certain variants, than the twin powerplants installed in other variants, of essentially the same type.

I understand this topic provoked a very interesting dialogue at one of the HAI meetings, so lets hear the opinions on PPRuNe!

I realise that this is probably not the best place to address this, as there is considerable reluctance by the participants of this forum to hold opinions, or to express them to others!! ;)

leading edge
13th Feb 2000, 03:50
Cyclic, were you at HAI then?

Cyclic Hotline
13th Feb 2000, 04:41
Yes, but I missed you!
I heard you were there, but never ran into you.
:)

Cyclic Hotline
13th Feb 2000, 04:58
Yes, but I missed you!
I heard you were there, but never ran into you.
:)
I missed you so much, I posted it twice!
;)

[This message has been edited by Cyclic Hotline (edited 13 February 2000).]

leading edge
13th Feb 2000, 07:46
I must have been too busy losing money on the tables to run into you.

LE