PDA

View Full Version : Type Ratings

HeliAv8tor
8th Feb 2000, 22:10
Where is the best place at the moment, price wise, for a type rating on Jet Ranger and Single Squirrel. Many thanks.

flipflop
9th Feb 2000, 18:14
The jet ranger will probably set you back at least 500/hr wherever you go. The As350 is a bit more. I would recommend Alan Mann at fairoaks for both but get yer chequebook out.
Fast at Thruxton are cheaper but not sure how often he has a jet ranger in situ.
Hope that helps a bit.

PUP
10th Feb 2000, 13:42
Beware JAR-FCL2!!!

At present a single TR requires a min of 5 hrs, a twin is 8 hrs! Currently, there are no exemptions, but the CAA are pursuing a return to the "trg to CFIs discretion" situation that used to exist pre-JAR-FCL2. The CAA expects a change in the policy in the next few weeks, as soon as the next JAA meeting takes place.

Despite what you might think, the CAA are apparently very keen to see things change.

MBJ
10th Feb 2000, 19:36
Try Peter Abbot at Thurston Helicopters at Redhill 01787 823514 but do discuss the approved Training Organisation topic in detail. They have both types to hand. I wouldn't pay more than £450/hr for a Jetbox at this time of the year.

Chopperbopper
11th Feb 2000, 02:37
Hi HeliAv8tor

MBJ was nearly right but Thurston's is now called London Helicopter Centre after a relaunch in October of last year.

If you are serious about a conversion on a As350 and wish to discuss it with Peter Abbott, be quick as two of them may be sold in the next couple of months. They do have a number of Jetrangers however, you may wish to try the Colibri EC120 they have there, it's great to fly.

I cannot give you any guidence on price but I think MBJ was on the button.

All the best

HeliAv8tor
11th Feb 2000, 17:07
Many thanks to all for replying, especially PUP for the blah on JAR :)