PDA

View Full Version : British Airways And Baggage Handlers

nivsy
16th Oct 2005, 08:07
Just who is responsible for the handling of baggage at LHR for BA?

After enduring a not so pleasant BA 12 and 1/2 hours flight from Hong Kong (arriving LHR yesterday morning at 06.45 yet still having to sit on taxi way for 20 mins while an empty 747 was towed from our allocated stand - and we were already late on arrival) resulting in a rush to get connected flight down to Gibraltar (nice that BAA had a computer failure and all departure screens were blank) - they never heard of back up systems?.....surprise surprise my bag did not reach Gibraltar. Initially there was 1 hour for this inter terminal baggage transfer...which actually resulted in 2 hours as we sat on board the AB320 for an hour waiting for push back. Sometimes it is comical when returning to the UK. Nothing works and for average pax I can understand that transitting UK airports is more stressful than say FRA or AMS. On arrival in GIb was told that the bag was "last seen at Terminal 4"!!! Why I asked getting the response "it sometimes happens" - i am sure it happens all the time but again I ask why??? Its pathetic....and no doubt my bag is probably heading across the Atlantic as I type this and some poor soul on that flight has been charged a couple of bucks 'cos their own baggage is a few kilos over allowance weight.

apaddyinuk
20th Oct 2005, 23:17
BA handle theirs and GB Airways luggage at LHR. The minimum connecting time between T4 and T1 is 90 minutes and thats published and advertised by BA! Your flight was late, therefore your stand would have been allocated elsewhere and your connection time was shortened to one hour which may not have been enough time considering thats one of the busier times of the morning as all the early longhauls arrive! Unfortunately this is part and parcel fo traveling through heathrow regardless of whatever airline you fly with. Fortuntaly BA are one of the better airlines to have delay your luggage!!! Im assuming that you have received it now and it was not sent to america like you seem to presume as you know little of the lost luggage systems!!!
:}

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
21st Oct 2005, 07:36
Despite the added complications of NIVSY being in transit, my experience this year of getting hold of my checked baggage in T4 from BA has been abysmal.

My last experience, a week ago, was that it took 37 minutes from "on chocks" before any baggage arrived on the reclaim belt, and it was 50 minutes before my suitcase arrived. Previous trips have been very similar.

Moreover, I thought those flying at the front got their baggage first?

nivsy
21st Oct 2005, 08:05
Yes, my baggage has safely arrived back in Gibraltar. I confess I indeed do not know much about baggage movement procedure but hey I pay hefty enough prices for that to be included in the price of my ticket. This was not a transfer between T4 and T1. It was an inter baggage transfer at T1...yet somehow my baggage made its way to T4 despite the tag of T1 Short transfer being secured to my bag at Hong Kong. BA (Gib) were very good actually....texts arrived letting me on progress....and bag winged its way down from Gatwick actually.....

Nivsy

HZ123
21st Oct 2005, 08:05
In defence of my co-workers in baggage the facilities at both T1 & T4 are third world and there lies much of the problem. Both BA and BAA PLC are at fault for being to greedy in their efforts to get so many aircraft at LHR. Sadly I doubt there will be much improvement when T5 comes into play. LHR is overwhelmed with the number of aircraft.

TheOddOne
21st Oct 2005, 08:07
Moreover, I thought those flying at the front got their baggage first?

Yes, they certainly do! They have to wait 'til the pax have left, then they go down to the hold and wheel their bags to the waiting crew bus.

As for the 1st class pax, they usually have to join the baggage lottery like everyone else.

Cheers,

The Odd One

apaddyinuk
21st Oct 2005, 21:38
Iv often wondered what would happen if all passengers were to be given the choice of collecting their luggage at their transit points and rechecking it in??? Would people just complain about the fact more or would people be happy to risk it not making the connection in time if they knew that in most places bags would be delivered to their house!!!

Re-Heat
21st Oct 2005, 22:11
Bring on RFIDs - asap! (Radio Frequency ID Tags)

nivsy
22nd Oct 2005, 11:00
i think thats a great idea...would love the baggage just to delivered to my end destination - house or whatever constantly. Suppose that would create a new security headache however. Its a shame tho' that one tends to spend just as much time at LGW or LHR...and I know at some European airports waiting for the bags as one does actually in the air.

Nivsy

PAXboy
22nd Oct 2005, 14:50
would love the baggage just to delivered to my end destination - house or whatever constantly. You can do that now! All you have to do is pay for it ... there is a company who collect your bags in advance and freight them over (thus handling the security) and then they deliver them to your destination ready for your arrival.