PDA

View Full Version : Game Counts and Transects

Zedd
15th Oct 2005, 15:30
I am off to spend two weeks flying transects for the purpose of a game count soon. Having never done this before I was wondering if there is anyone out there with meaningful advice on any aspect of this operation!

Particularily:
1. How to fly the specific transects. Are these done purely on heading or is there some clever trick that can improve accuracy. I am told that the GPS should be put on position page and then you fly east and west headings watching the line of lattitude. Any improvement on this.

2. Good tips on maintaining the right height AGL. We do have a radar alt.

3. Timings, speeds, etc,etc!

Any info will be useful to make this operation more succesful.

Thanks in advance

Ossewa
15th Oct 2005, 19:34
With what type of aircraft are you going to do this?

Zedd
15th Oct 2005, 22:42
Its a Maule MT7-235.. lovely little aircraft with a lot of go though very cramped for the slightly bigger people!

Mark J B
17th Oct 2005, 05:26
I did quite a bit of this in Botswana and it sounds like you have been given the correct advice. I used the GOTO function on the GPS to position for the start of the transect ,and then just before intercepting switched over to the position page and flew using the co-ordinates. We flew at 300' AGL and that was all on the R-altimeter. It takes a bit of getting used to but eventually you will be able to do it in your sleep.

185skywagon
17th Oct 2005, 06:29
Zedd,
I do a couple of hundred hours of this per year in Australia.
I use a C185 with King KRA 10 Radalt and Agnav GPS.
I have done at least 1500 hous of low level animal survey.

1.common animal survey methodology in Australia, is 100 kts groundspeed/ 250 feet AGL usually grid east and west.

2.Put all your points in your GPS and setup your routes the way you want fly them.

3. I usually name the points sequentially(1-2, 3-4, 5-6 etc), but this can cause you problems if you have to do a line the wrong direction. (this will arise at some stage.) 1East /1West etc, is another way to go.

4.Always print out a graphic map showing points with names, so you can check off what you have done etc. and draw the direction of travel on your lines. It all helps with orientation.

5. Make sure you do not have to keep looking inside at the Radalt or gps. IE, have them mounted somewhere in your periphial vision. Looking inside at low level, is recipe for disaster.

6. If you do not have access to the points prior to the job, you can fly on the gps position page only if you are flying grid north/ south or east/west. there is also a fair bit of lag in most handheld gps's.

7. Look ahead at terrain and only use the radalt to monitor the general trend. your eye will get good after a few days.

I hope this helps.

edited to add a few more points.