View Full Version : Laser Protective Visors

Roofus
24th May 2001, 13:38
Can anyone offer input on the LPV's available off the shelf for Alpha helmets?
I'm not talking the military all dancing affairs that cost more than the aircraft! But the straight replacement for a clear visor that 'scatters' a laser.
All that's needed is protection for the wearer from the type of laser you can buy in the shops.
For some reason when you paint POLICE on your cab everyone hates you, & incidents of laser pens temporarily impairing pilots vision are on the up.
Although only three occurences on our unit in 10mths or so, it's three too many if you ask me.
I'd appreciate some thoughts peeps! If financialy viable we're looking to stick 'em on our pilot's helmets.

Fortyodd
24th May 2001, 16:21
About 5 years ago, all AAC crews were measured up for laser protective spectacles. However none have, as far as I am aware, yet appeared on general issue. (I stand to be corrected of course). Might be worth an enquiry to the Tornado people at Leeming as, I believe, they are using the Alpha and may know if such an item exists.

------------------
Whilst all reasonable care has been taken, this product may contain traces of nuts.......

Roofus
24th May 2001, 18:23
Fortyodd:

Thanks for reply. The main American suppliers are advatising an off the shelf LPV for the Alpha series of headsets.
Suggestion ref. Military types a goodie & will chase up in their forum.
As for the glasses, the only ones I can find info. about are some form of Oakley, alas tinted lenses aren't going to help at 02:00!
Not only that glasses don't offer the same protection against nasty birdies as a good ol' visor. Should you happen to stumble accross anything please let me know....in the meantime I'm off to visit the military types! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Roofus (edited 24 May 2001).]