PDA

View Full Version : So Farewell then Air Jamaica Express

rumflier
14th Oct 2005, 19:04
Curious isn't it how the gordon Butch Stewart owned newspaper is decrying the loss of his airline.
Good luck to all those who will shortly be out of a job.... in less than four hours' time.

Panama Jack
15th Oct 2005, 07:55
Huh? What happened? Is Air Jamaica Express packing up? Why?

flufdriver
18th Oct 2005, 02:12
Man, these people are something else!

Just got an ad (via email) Superclubs (owned by a Butch Stewart company) is now highlighting Spirit airlines as a way to get to the resorts in Jamaica and the Bahamas.

These are the people who run Air Jamaica and when things didn't go according to (their) plan, simply walked away and left the govt. of JA holding the bag.

Now they shut down Jamaica-Express, I guess it probably wasn't making enough profit.

While I understand the principles of free enterprise and capitalism, when you are a major entity in a small country (and that also happens to be your home country) then you do have a degree of national responsibility even if it carries a bit of a cost.

I have always admired the logo on the Air-J aircraft: "Flying for the success of Jamaica"

I certainly cannot say that I have the same admiration for Butch Stewart and his group anymore. It seems that they are doing what so many are trying to do and have done, take everything they can to enrich themselves and give back as little as possible. Seems to me Jamaica has already seen enough of that.

rumflier
18th Oct 2005, 14:35
In fairness, Superclubs is not owned by Mr Stewart. He owns Sandals.
though why fair play comes into this right now, I'm not sure!

Panama Jack
19th Oct 2005, 05:32
Jack Sparrow: Take what you can...
Mr. Gibbs: Give nothing back!

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_05/images/rkirby031905b.gif