View Full Version : Helicopter Noise

Marco
10th Jun 2000, 19:41
In considering a replacement aircraft the subject of noise is often an important factor, especially if you're HOGE over a congested area. I appreciate the 902 & 135 are pretty quiet but what about aircraft such as the 109? Its the fastest in its class and will get to & from EMS jobs much quicker but is the noise going to rule it our over towns/cities. Any opinions much appreciated

psyclic
11th Jun 2000, 01:18
120(v)140 kts doesn't make much of a difference(1.5 min) over a 20 mile average transit from casualty pick up to HLS.(Especially when you have already spent 10-15 mimutes stabilising and preparing cas on ground and then usually waiting (sometimes up to 10 minutes) at HLS for the road ambulance for final transfer to A+E.

PurplePitot
11th Jun 2000, 01:18
Dyfed/Powys are very pleased with theirs, give them a call, I do believe that they are the only police operators. As for the 135, believe me, it's loud as hell!

Marco
11th Jun 2000, 02:26
PP Thanks. I wonder if it is the only Police 109 as it is mainly over a rural area? How many complaints would one get at 0200 if you've just spent some time looking for burglar bill over congested area? How are Macs getting on with the SP IFR 135?

whatsarunway
13th Jun 2000, 01:47
135 is not as quiet as you might think i know there are 109 police and ems helis in england sold by sloane helicopters and the customers seem quite happy.

Earpiece
13th Jun 2000, 02:03
PurplePitot have you had your first JAR medical yet - your hearing definitely seems suspect?! Whether you have noticed or not, the MD902 and the EC135 are the quietest of/and the new generation helicopters. The Agusta 109 is old hat and exceptionally noisy. Don't kid anyone that it is'nt but it does move very quickly - ideal for going home at the end of a duty. Manufacturers take note - silence is golden (and worth a lot more).

However can you imagine how the (one) average policeman fits in an A 109? Not at all well unless the shearer has had a go at him/her first and even then the comfort factor could be a bit woolly.

"Keeping all ears to the ground"