View Full Version : Laser Surgery on eyes

flygirl_sa2002
14th Oct 2005, 13:27
Does anybody know if Laser Surgery on a pilots eyes is allowed yet in the airforces like the RAF and SAAF?
I want to apply, but i wear contact lenses. Do i still have a chance?
Any input would be a great help!

Thanks

richrap262
14th Oct 2005, 13:48
Hi flygirl_sa2002,

Try and do a search on laser eye surgery. Here you will find losts of posts about the pro's and con's of this technique.
From my understanding the RAF will not let you train as a pilot if you wear glasses or have corrective surgery.

Please don't hold me to that. I'm sure someone else can give you more details.

I wanted to be in the RAF, but wear glasses. As a result they would not let me train as a pilot. I have decided to go private and start off with a PPL.
Hope that helps you in someway.

Richrap262

lion2850
15th Oct 2005, 18:31
:o :mad:

It is totally forbidden to do laser surgery WITHOUT authorisation of the AA of your country. I suggest that you first call or beter see the medical doctor treating you at the aeromedical where you have your medical and ask what is possible.
DO NOT doe any surgery before that. You could loose your licence!

Kind regards,

Lion

RoMit345
27th Oct 2005, 05:22
flygirl_sa2002

I'm not certain about the specifics of SAAF selection wrt laser surgery but remember, this is just a selection criteria. One of many to filter candidates. Once you are in the SAAF you can wear coke bottles without them worrying about it. The problem is getting in.

I also wore lenses and did so covertly, during the selection process (sneaky, I know but I wanted to get in)! I guess I got lucky or a generous selector, but had a good SAAF carreer out of that chance. The point is -
a. Research the question - Dr N. Grobbelaar is a good start (RSA)
b. If you don't get any answers you like, try selections anyway (with lenses) - it worked for me.

Good Luck

ultimatepro63
27th Oct 2005, 09:09
LASIK surgery has some side affects but im not sure what they are

from what i understand to get into the RAF you need to have perfect vision