PDA

View Full Version : Interview with CAL/Cal Expats/Happy at Cal? - Merged

Hape
14th Oct 2005, 11:33
Hi everybody

At november i have my interview with CAL.

I`ve read all the threads about CAL but i still want to go to this Airline.

I`m interessted in hints & tipps to make a good job there.
That means:

* About Culture, are there special points to consider during the interview? e.g. behaviour, the way to talk, body language etc.

* In which level are the techinical questions?

I`m happy with any professional hint!!

Thank you all

Hape

cal4ever
16th Oct 2005, 21:00
Airline Pilot Interviews, Irv Jasinski
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0942195019.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

TOEIC or TOEFL test.
TOEIC test test 2nd part:
TOEIC (http://www.1-language.com/materials/toeic/)
MBA Center (http://www.mba-center.net/?site=www&section=testprep&page=diagnostictesting)

Am curious about any tech quiz questions as well.

Hape
18th Oct 2005, 11:37
Hi cal4ever

Thanks for you hints. I bought already the book "ACE The technical pilot interview".
I think it is well structured and has a lot of good questions/answers.

I also take my old Jeppesen back( i fly with LIDO), to review the general part.

Any other Informations?

Thank you and have nice days / flights

Hape

Hape
19th Oct 2005, 21:48
Hi LEMBD

Did you have some special experience wit CAL?

Some Informations from your side?

I`m interessded

Sincerely

Hape

HondaFIA
20th Oct 2005, 01:54
Do you think they will hire someone with only a CPL, 300hrs, and no jet experience?

Medwin
21st Oct 2005, 00:29
No,
I have 6,000 with 3,000 jet(airline time) and I can't get in.

Kenny
21st Oct 2005, 02:09
HondaFIA,

While the Asian airlines are going through what can be called a period of massive expansion, they're not short of pilots at the beginning of their careers.

Keep at it and keep building your time. Your're not that far from having the mins to apply to some of the US regional carriers.

I got the call from CAL with 4000TT and 2000Jet but after a thorough review of everything I'd learnt here and talking to a few guys who had experience of them, decided not to go for it. I did however feel a moment of regret when I lined up next to a CAL Cargo 744 last week in KORD but it didn't last long.

Good luck with the flying.

cal4ever
21st Oct 2005, 18:08
All you CAL cracks.

I can't believe, that nobody recalls any of the Tech-Quiz questions with CAL. Was it not memorable at all?
All what's known is that there are 4 possible answers to the question and a total of 30 questions.

Come on guys, reactivate the grey cells! It will do you and me good.

Cheers

HondaFIA
22nd Oct 2005, 02:17
Kenny,

Thanks for the advice. I will keep at it and build up my hours and hopefully in the short future I can apply for CAL.

Cal4ever,

What are the 4 possible answers to the 30 questions?

Kenny
22nd Oct 2005, 02:28
HondaFIA,

No worries mate, just please promise me one thing; Do NOT go to Mesa.

No matter how desperate you think you are to fly for an airline, you are not desperate enough to go to Mesa.

Kenny.

YYZ
23rd Oct 2005, 12:58
CAL were at the BALPA conference in London (UK) this week, and they seemed very keen on getting guys through the door providing the met the minimum requirements:

1500 total flight hours
Full ATPL
Under 45
Current flight hours within past 12 months
Jet experience is a + (as is a type rating)
Fluent in English

Seem like a reasonable package and the guy gave the best presentation for entertainment by far, however, he highlighted that people do keep pulling out on contracts (5 years initially) and they are not happy about it, "Integrity" was the buzz word for his speech, stating you have none if you abandon the CAL family?

Good Luck all
YYZ

cal4ever
23rd Oct 2005, 18:23
yyz

I understand that with min req. you would be offered a F/O B738 post in Taipei.

Did CAL specifiy under which conditions they would recruit pilots for the other types? (what min. reqs for B744, A330/340, who pays the typerating?, bonding?, etc.)

Cheers

Dani
23rd Oct 2005, 19:04
Hape, is your interview in TPE or in Europe? Do you have the same interview as the normal direct entry pilots?

Viel Glück, chom mi de go bsueche im Nightstopp Singapur!
Dani

International Trader
24th Oct 2005, 05:30
What Interview.?.....It was take a ticket and move on to uniform fitting for me.

Tech quizzz? what tech quiz? They don't know anything, anyway.

If you are breathing and can land the simulator back on the runway, you will get a job.
You might be surprised but, you are proabably better at it than the guy testing you.

It is a dead end job as anything but a captain.
Only join as a captain.....

Read the hundreds and hundreds of old posts.
More are leaving than they can employ. Ask yourself why and then look elsewhere.

YYZ
24th Oct 2005, 10:49
From what I have been told it is initially a phone interview followed by a trip to Taipei if successful.

cal4ever
They seemed quite open for opportunities for others, type ratings were not top of the list of priorities, I do not know who would pay for the ratings or anything else along them lines, didn't pay a great deal of attention as I have nowhere near the minimum requirements.

Contacts if needed:
CAL Applications (www.china-airlines.com/en/about/about_career.htm)

And email: [email protected]

Fax: 886-2-2514-6336

Hope it's of some use?

YYZ

Hape
24th Oct 2005, 22:02
Hi International trader

You must have bad experience with CAL.

As far as i get dfferent information, it seems to be CAL did a huge improvement generally and the CAL Homepage gives me a very professional impression.

I`looking forward to meet them personally to get the final impression. Until then they have fully 100% of acceptance.

Before i start with flying i was in the "Company reorganisation and optimising" business, and with this rate of improvement i have a good feeling.

If i get a chance to join CAL, i take the opportunity.

Hape

Deske1
24th Oct 2005, 23:17
.........and you will cry where nobody sees you and escape.It is really a huge improvement,not to have a fatal loss each year......but its far far away what you have seen in Europe,USA,Canada or Australia.

BusTie
25th Oct 2005, 16:02
For all of you guys going to CAL interview.....and basing your decision on this forum.

A wise (bustie) man once said;

>>>>> Don’t let someone’s opinion be your reality <<<<<

TOGA100
25th Oct 2005, 17:21
I agree with Bus Tie, if I understand him correctly.
Everybody has different opinions and I wonder myself how many CAL pilots are in this forum.
Probable only a handful.
I think (even not everything is gold what is shiny) there are pilots outside telling good things about the present CAL.
I’m in the same position as Hape.
I go to this interview and I see what kind of impression the people of CAL making to me and then I decide after feeling and not according to the information’s of this forum.

Flying Mechanic
30th Oct 2005, 08:32
Are there any chaps out there with Turbo prop time getting interviews? I recently filled out the on line application and CAL actually got back to me asking me to provide more references.I have 4000 TT and currently captain on a light turbo-prop and desperate to move on.
Have any guys got in before with just turbo prop time?
Cheers FM

BusTie
30th Oct 2005, 17:37
the answer to your questions is:

Yes and the pay was $5100 USD 3 months ago

yes and the pay was $4660 USD 2 months ago

yes and the pay was $3600 USD a month ago

yes an the pay will be even lower by the time you get the call.

good luck

Flying Mechanic
31st Oct 2005, 09:32
I hear there is a training bond aswell? Do you pay up front or is it pro rata over a time period?
Looking at that money.........I might stay where I am.

Hape
6th Nov 2005, 22:57
Hi again

Thanks a lot for your helpful feedbacks.
I see and appreciate, there are a lot of objective and professional colleagues in this forum.

I jus can assure you, we had a fair and professional selection, and if they like me to join CAL, i take this opportunity.

Once again thanks a lot to you allan and the best to you, ladys and gentleman!!!!

Greetings from switzerland!

Hape

YYZ
7th Nov 2005, 19:49
there are a lot of objective and professional colleagues in this forum

That's a quote you don't get on some sites!

Good luck Hape wherever you end up, fly safe.

YYZ

Southern Albatross
8th Nov 2005, 10:15
To those pondering the Taiwan move.

They send you out an email a few days before you have planned the trip over for an interview etc...........confirming that they want 20,000USD Bank guarantee prior to joining (i.e you pay them 20k cash up front) and they keep it for 4 years commencing from final "check to line", and if you dont like this arrangement then dont come to the interview.

No mention of paying you any ....say... Interest on your money which they keep for at least 4.5 years(assuming your checked to line in 6 months)

No mention of paying you back that money with your salary each month over the 4 years pro-rata.

Not to mention whether or not you actually have a spare 20,000USD floating around just for this occassion.

So the bottom line is this gentlemen,

Firstly, this is a very strange way of conducting employment/recruitment. THEY OBVIOUSLY HAVE SOME SERIOUS ISSUES IN THIS COMPANY.

The salary for a B737NG F/O is US$3300/month Minus 20% tax. I dont know where some of you guys work, but down in Aus. that equates to around AUD$860/week. Thats a net of approx AUD$44000/Year to fly a Blo*dy Boeing 737NG in what I can assume is a demanding environment.... Heck, the guy mowing the lawns at my kids school would be nearly earning that, certainly not a professional Jet Jockey.
Which leads me to the obvious conclusion that the only "Professional Flight Crew" that would take up this glorious offer would be the ones that either cannot fly for sh*t... or rich daddy will fork out the money so little Johnny can go fly the Jets.

(No offence intended to current CAL drivers whome I believe joined with much better employment conditions. My gripe is purely relating to this current pathetic attempt to employ professionals)....its the old saying.... :You pay peanuts....you get monkeys.

But wait there's more..
You will get a whole 8 days annual leave after one year, (WOW)

The contract terms are not fixed and tangeable, every item has the subclause.............."subject to change.....or subject to company policy...or at company discrection".

It would seem these "contract conditions" appear to be the main focus within their Human Resources department, with very little emphasis on the actual candidates ability to be a healthy part of their operation.

I am afraid that my principles and integrity outweigh the ambition to fly jets, at least with this particular operator, and I will pursue other "irons in the fire".

For those that choose to accept this situation, all I can say is... have a really good think about what you are accepting....I know it is a personal decision, but it is certainly not doing the Pilot group as a whole any good with this continual degradation of wages and conditions.

Cheers

SA

Deske1
8th Nov 2005, 10:56
I do really understand why CAL is afraid of pilots would leave very soon.But as always,CAL gave a wrong reply to the challange.
You will stuck here for 3000 and something USD for 4 years and your 20.000 USD will be witheld,paying 20% tax and stay in country where the costs of life is the same as in Europe or the USA.
The challange for CAL is the following:

November 2005
ACC B747-400 First Officer Positions
Please find below a indicative summary of the package for
B747-400 First Officers available with
Air China Cargo (ACC).
Basic prerequisites, as set by ACC, are a minimum of 500 hours on type,
and Total Flight Time of over 3000 hours.
Air China Cargo B747-400 First Officers:-
Term: - 24 months – extendable (For start immediately and into 2006)
Base: - Beijing (and possibly Shanghai)

Monthly Remuneration:
- US$6,000 salary net/month paid off-shore
During first 8 weeks of training US$4,800 salary net/month
- Overtime is paid on time over 255 hours per 3 months at 1/85th of monthly salary per hour
- Chinese income tax is paid by ACC
Per Diem: - US$1,000/month as per policy and procedures for equivalent personnel
Accommodation: - In Beijing: Hotel or allowance of RMB4,000/month (2 – 3 bedroom
apartment where foreigners live, nearby is a reasonably priced International
School, University, International standard golf course, new or recently
renovated 4 – 5 star hotels with gyms and pools, variety of restaurants, and
International Exhibition Centre)
Days free of duty: - 8 consecutive days per month (averaged over 6 months), during training 2 days/week

Travel: -
-
-
-
At beginning and completion (with excess luggage allowance)
3 international return air tickets every 12 months
2 domestic return air tickets
Access to ACC and Air China worldwide services for discount travel
Sick Leave: - 12 days per annum
Annual Leave: - 21 days per annum
Insurance: - Emergency medical/travel insurance provided to purchase Comprehensive Medical Cover (personal + family) at very
competitive rates.
Other: Maximum age limit of 56 years

Screening checks are to be conducted in Beijing immediately,
with travel and hotel provided.

roughrider747
9th Nov 2005, 05:50
you have posted the info on ACC twice now, how about sharing where you got it from and how to apply there

Deske1
9th Nov 2005, 08:57
I did post it to make it clear for everyone-even for the managment of CAL-that the current T&C's at CAL are not worth to join.
Sorry,I have just copy+paste it,I have thought the details are included.You can see and apply for this vacancy on the website of IAC.

One important thing;convert the 747 type-rating into an ICAO ATPL as the CAA of Mainland China wont accept the taiwanese licence.

Beyond tha Threshold
10th Nov 2005, 01:08
So which ICAO contracting states can convert a Taiwanese Licence and rating with minimal problems & paperwork?

I thought China would be the easiest as they still think Taiwan is one of their states.

Whats the go?

Beyond.

Deske1
10th Nov 2005, 17:54
Yeah,but mainland doesnt recognise Taiwan,so they also dont recognise any of the taiwanese authorities as the local CAA.

bushpilot2004
17th Nov 2005, 18:19
Anybody have a phone # for CAL recruiting in Taipei? Would a phone call be acceptable to check on my application status? Thanks!!

BusTie
19th Nov 2005, 18:23
Having been there and gone through the interview process I can tell you that a phone call to HR department is a definite "No No"

Be patient and soon they will call you as they still doing interviews.

Bustie

swamp monkey
21st Nov 2005, 02:44
After reading all the bad and occassional good post regarding CAL, Can anyone provide info on the following:

1. The 8 days off per month. Is it a block period in leiu of the normal 2 days off per week we get in the west or is it additional to "normal" days off (RDO's)

2. How long are typical layovers, are there layovers at all?

3. Has anyone had any luck converting a CAL type rating at all?

4. How is the salary paid, monthly, fornightly?

5. What type of accommodation is provided when away, are meal/transport allowances provided?

Thanks

monkey

bushpilot2004
21st Nov 2005, 02:54
Thanks - BusTie check your PM.

BusTie
21st Nov 2005, 11:48
1. you get a block of 8 days none stop and you can ad 2 days of vacation to it every month for a max of 30 days per year.

2. typical layover is one to two days

3. yes

4. salary is paid monthly in USD after taxes (20%)

5. housing is paid in NT. 37,000NT after tax 29,600NT

6. Hilton, or 5 star +, x-portation is provided even in TPE. and you get $2 per hour from the time your leave Taipei until you get back. even during your sleep in KLAX

anything else?

Bustie

sky330
21st Nov 2005, 14:48
Just to remove confusion,

5.It is either the housing allowance or the hotel, not both of course, depending of your base.

5 stars hotels...euhh, yeah sure I can provide a few stations were it is the case :-)

swamp monkey
21st Nov 2005, 21:00
To continue,

Does the company pay/withhold the tax on your behalf?

Does the flat tax rate get applied to all earnings/allowances or are some things exempt?

:ok:

waytan
21st Nov 2005, 21:37
i know this is a loaded question and i do not intend start another negative thread about CAL...but where are all the happy CAL pilots? Personally, I have 3 good friends that are happy CAL pilots....they feel the pay is great, especially compared to what you can get in canada. yes taiwan is a dirty, polluted city but so is toronto. they all see it as an adventure..maybe not a career but definitly a great place to gain expereince and a type rating in a time that is hard for pilots to get jobs. give the rest of us a little glimmer of hope that CAL is not all bad.

Medwin
21st Nov 2005, 23:41
What are you trying to accomplish from this thread? Are you trying to justify your decision to join CAL?

sky330
22nd Nov 2005, 08:38
Normally company witheld 20% for taxes.

I think (not sure) you can ask to reduce that to 10%.

Tax legislation is :
- You stay less than 183 days in Taiwan, expat status = flat 20%, no deduction
- more than 183 days, "normal" Taiwan tax system, rate between 10 and 40%, deduction for housing, direct family,...

Have a look at This also (http://www.ntak.gov.tw/ntak-eng/service/guide.asp)

BusTie
22nd Nov 2005, 08:59
what is it to you?

do you have any + to say about CAL? no? then..shuuuuush!

sorry guys...lets get back on track here...

swamp monkey
22nd Nov 2005, 09:28
Do CAL provide meals during layovers/or allowances?
What about transport?

IBTheseus
22nd Nov 2005, 10:51
I'm happy that I left CAL:)

Medwin
22nd Nov 2005, 12:59
Bustie,

What the heck is your problem? I'm trying to help this guy if I know what he's looking for. I'm sure he's not just looking for happy pilots from CAL.
I do have a lot to say about CAL and EVA, + and -. You're the one that's not contributing here, so shusssss.

expatcdn
22nd Nov 2005, 13:09
I have heard horrow stories about CAL....Cockpit environment etc etc.....but we are all proffessionals and would like to think otherwise. How is it working there on a daily basis....everyday work.

BusTie
22nd Nov 2005, 15:18
the problem started when you mentioned......the word justify.

over to you...

29chev
22nd Nov 2005, 15:25
I can't wait to leave CAL ...its not the end of the world but you can see it from here!!!

bushpilot2004
22nd Nov 2005, 18:11
Just submitted my app last night via e-mail, within a few hours I received the message " we are impressed with your qualifications, however, you are not on our priority list. We will contact you if a position becomes available. Thank you for your understanding." Has anyone gotten this e-mail, and later called for an interview, or is it over?? (46 yrs old, ATP, 5050 ttl, 3870 PIC, 1200 airline turboprop SIC, lots of Alaska piston PIC).

waytan
23rd Nov 2005, 02:41
ok, so what is it about CAL that you all hate so much???
how bout specific problems and how long did it take you to figure it out and how much jet time did you get before you decided to get out of there? couldn't you say you got some jet time and that enabled you to be available to other more appealing(to you) companies?

29chev
23rd Nov 2005, 02:55
For me its mostly cultural issues that in themselves are a pain but you could put up with them...the prob is they become safety issues and I don't like flying in unsafe situations.....do a web search for "CAL+accidents" and you'll see the history. Everyone has a different risk tolarence yours may be higher than mine and the CAL world won't bother you but as for me the risks are to high time to get out.....There is an old saying...."I hold a bucket in each hand one is getting filled with cash the other Bulls--t...when ever one or the other fills up I will leave" Well the bulls--t bucket has filled up much faster than the cash bucket and it's time to leave!!!

HondaFIA
23rd Nov 2005, 04:07
China Airlines just got a new chairman, so they may be reorganizing right now.

IBTheseus
23rd Nov 2005, 04:44
The problems have been well expressed previously.

Join as a Capt on the wide body. Thats as far as you can go, so therefore its just can you put up with the CAL system. The pay is reasonable. There are some good aspects to their system.

I found TPE not that bad a place to live, but I don't believe its a 5 year propersition. Look around as see the long termers. They are generally quite dark about things. That may be the city, the Co, the commute, the culture. Doesn't matter the reason, the result is the same. Time to leave.

If you join as an FO, then thats great as long as you understand that is as far as you will go. You fly along side some who are very marginal in standard (that includes expats). Most FOs want a career, an opportunity at progression. That is not available to you. CAL are now publically acknowledging that. Previously it was observation. Its not the pay that is attactive.

AS for how long that take to see. Thats up to you. Look critically at whether CAL is still offering what you want out of life and career. Don't just hope it will get better. It will not get better. CAL doesn't want it to get better.

swamp monkey
23rd Nov 2005, 10:09
Do expat F/O's usually get placed on flights with a national captain, or is it random?

What's the likelyhood of F/O's and expat captains being on the deck?

Anyone know the total number of expat captains?

Lastly, any info/thoughts on CAL maintenance would be appreciated.:ok:

gengis
23rd Nov 2005, 12:00
Swampy,

I am an expat Capt. To answer your questions:

1) In 2 years i have only ever flown with another expat F/O 4 times;

2) Number of expat Capt's on 744 fleet is 90+ (no idea about other fleets). Number of local Capts on 744 is 130-150;

3) The books are usually clean. My previous company, one also much spoken of here in this PPRUNE forum, measured up very poorly in this area, where they used to carry lots of stuff in the DDL. This was indeed a breath of fresh air.

I agree that you come with your eyes wide open, take the money & the home leave and that's it. If you must come, make your decision based on what's on the table right this moment, not what seems to be implied will happen. If you can live with that, you'll probably do alright. Good luck

Medwin
23rd Nov 2005, 12:33
It's easy for you guys to say "join as a Captain", we would if we could, the problem is some of us don't have the experience that their looking for. We have to start somewhere, get the experience from CAL and get out, that's my plan anyway.

A340Jock
24th Nov 2005, 06:31
Would someone in CAL please advise if they are currently hiring captains. Have 12,000 + with extensive A340 and A330 PIC time.
Thanks for any info you can give
Cheers
A340Jock

IBTheseus
24th Nov 2005, 11:39
Agree the maintenance was very good. This part of their efforts to make the airline safer. Reduce the number of risks the crews need to deal with.

The locals love the A330, short haul flying. A lot of locals have medical problems that are managed more easily without the stressors of long haul. A rapidly expanding fleet. You never know.

The A340 is not expanding, so may be difficult to get on. Known as the holiday fleet, because of their network.

If you have nothing else, then apply. If successful, be very prepared for a difficult 6 months transition into the company. After that the job settles down.

BusTie
29th Nov 2005, 05:50
If you are not rated and current on transport cat. Jet than you have to put 20,000 USD down and there is no way around it.

swamp monkey
29th Nov 2005, 09:39
Anyone able to tell how long they waited from the Pre-interview phonecall till being offered a interview in Taipei?

How long did the phone interview last?

Wally Gun
29th Nov 2005, 11:20
Hey All you CAL wanabes.
Wake up to yourselves...get a job driving a taxi in Baghdad. It is safer

Wally Gun
29th Nov 2005, 11:23
Hey Chev29
I am not sure if I get the Gist of your last post to 340jock.
Can you please be clearer

29chev
29th Nov 2005, 11:32
BusTie said
If you are not rated and current on transport cat. Jet than you have to put 20,000 USD down and there is no way around it.

Wellllllll thats true unless you apply and GET A JOB AT A REAL TRUCKING COMPANY

Did you know places like CX KA NCA etc. actually pay you to get a rating with no bond because they know you won't buggar off the day after youre typed?

Or maybe youre so infatuated with CAL, that youre not interested in working for a real mob....yeah, thats it, thats the ticket....it wouldnt be for a lack of anything else...maybe? hmmmmm.

BusTie
29th Nov 2005, 19:46
29 chevy.....

for a guy that has a "29chevy" for his name you sure talk too much, and trying to evaluate jobs in Aviation. From your post is so clear that you are a typical north American with union written all over you. look up the word pro-phe-shinalizim (I wrote the way you would understand)

for the rest of you guys that wanting a proper answer:

Blue-Footed Boobie

as long as you have some transport cat. jet type or time you DO NOT have put 20K. that simple. and no you do not need to have the same type as they fly.

swamp monkey

I had an e-mail from HR just a week after submitting my application on line, and within 4 weeks I was in TPE.
They pay for you travel and hotel. (no meal)

There is no point in joining CAL with the intention of jumping ship since a new type rating with CAL is not recognized with any ICAO couturies.

but you can always take your experience and time on type and go to Emirates, Etihad,....etc.

the pay;

every Dec you get another month's salary.
one overtime flight lets say TPE-LAX-TPE gives you about 28 hours block time which comes down to $1,500 USD. that you can add to your salary for that month. and as long as you are willing to fly more, all you have to do is let them know and you get it.

the contract is for 4,660 (70 hours) divide that and you get about $67/hr now times that into (the 28 hours LA trip) you get $1864 less than 20% for tax leaves you $1,500 USD.

These are the facts for those of you that willing to read other pilots "professional" comments and plan your life accordingly.

Bustie

Deske1
29th Nov 2005, 20:56
Excuse me BusTie,did You mention this word;"professional" here in the CAL topic?

When a local captain considers that BKN 010 is measured from the sea level so it is a CAT III as the APT elevation is above 1200 feet?:\

Good news,the competitor airlines -EVA- also departs from the taxiway in Anchorage.Ehhh,I know the basic rule,upgrade locals first,no matter how incompetent they are!

My last week experience.:yuk:

pitotman
29th Nov 2005, 23:10
Bustie

I am all to familiar with 29chev's situation....see I was also a guy who showed up with two buckets.....the one with the money in it never made it past half full....the one with the BS was overflowing by the time I got online. I have stated on here many times that I enjoyed flying with the guys n gals on the -400 at CAL. But the fact the most if not all of the crew there are either at CAL because they HAVE to be or because they are a local and are not applicable to be hired at a REAL airline. I make more money now training then ANY first officer at CAL and a few of the Captains. Doing the same job! When I am off my training pay I will make more than EVERY CAL local captain......I mention this only because so many of us put a price on this job. For me personally it is about enjoying my work, trusting my colleagues and time off! CAL offers you NONE of the above....! The last straw for me was sim 05-01 and I watched the IP crash the simulator 3 times............once on a simple V1 cut which should have been a reject and he continued....the other 2 crashes were on 2 engine inop on short final...I made my mind up that sim that it was over and immediately submitted my resignation as my life is far more important.....!

29Chev was my roommate in Taipei and I can tell you he gave CAL the benefit of almost every situation they put him in! I used to tease him that he would retire in Taipei because he generally was consummate professional and generally really seemed to enjoy the job! But it has been a year for him now and as I know he is leaving I shake my head as CAL just does not want to address the issues in their airline. The sooner CAL gets rid of ALL the expats the better...........because this industry has been through enough over the last 5 years and the days of WHORING ourselves to places like CAL have to stop. That way when hull's are being scrapped off runways around the world AGAIN then maybe someone will be serious about fixing the entity that is Taiwan Aviation

Now to address your post:

You wrote:

"Blue-Footed Boobie

as long as you have some transport cat. jet type or time you DO NOT have put 20K. that simple. and no you do not need to have the same type as they fly."

That is a flat out lie as one of my university collegues was just offered the job subject to the 20K bond....he delined after I explained everything to him!

"swamp monkey

I had an e-mail from HR just a week after submitting my application on line, and within 4 weeks I was in TPE.
They pay for you travel and hotel. (no meal) "

If the email only took a week chances are you are one of the only persons desperate enough or inexperienced enough to consider it! Every job interview I have gone to paid me perdiums and ALL my costs...........nuff said!

There is no point in joining CAL with the intention of jumping ship since a new type rating with CAL is not recognized with any ICAO couturies.

This is bullsh*t!!! Go Get the rating and leave...take they type rating and your logbook goto your home country and they should with all of your records and XXX amount of hours on type will put it on your license. Canada the magic number is 75 hours I believe.

"but you can always take your experience and time on type and go to Emirates, Etihad,....etc." yup you can and then you are in the two bucket scenerio again..............good luck!

the pay;

every Dec you get another month's salary.
one overtime flight lets say TPE-LAX-TPE gives you about 28 hours block time which comes down to $1,500 USD. that you can add to your salary for that month. and as long as you are willing to fly more, all you have to do is let them know and you get it.

the contract is for 4,660 (70 hours) divide that and you get about $67/hr now times that into (the 28 hours LA trip) you get $1864 less than 20% for tax leaves you $1,500 USD.

These are the facts for those of you that willing to read other pilots "professional" comments and plan your life accordingly.

You sure can.....in fact they will let you fly yourself right into a 300,000 NTD (can't remember the exact fine) and the pay for over time you calculated wrong......so I think you should reread the contrat and come up with the really pay............I was one of the higest paid FO's on the -400 and I was 78 an hour.........I know most were NO WHERE near your quote for overtime.......just as a side not I am at 145/hr now...........so you do the math..........!

Bustie, I feel sorry for ya brutha as you really have NO idea of what a sad place CAL is..... I wish you all the luck and empower you to get out of CAL before the next hull loss! Rather than spending your time on here slinging mud, If I was you I would work on getting an ATPL in a country where you will be paid what you are worth.....not what you will whore yourself for...........

PEACE

29chev
30th Nov 2005, 04:02
Thanks pitotman :ok:

Bustie
you said you are a typical north American with union written all over you.
You notice I didn't suggest you apply to a company with a union (well I guess CX does but you don't have to join)...only world class operations that hire you with the mind set of "If we treat them well most won't leave" thus making them better choices for places of employment.

My point? CAL is one of the worst places I have ever worked....but it could be great, nothing stops it from being as good an operation as CX....except the attitude and culture, but they have zero interest in changing and fixing those very large problems....so in the interest of giving advice to those who wish to listen I tell it like it is....

On another point I notice an earlier post of mine was removed, as it was placed there after a few too many pints I feel I need to say to A340Jock.... my words were a bit harsh and if you are indeed a high time 330/340 Capt I give you the benefit of the doubt that you have little or no knowledge of CAL and are asking about a position there in all sincerity ...but if you have the experience level you claim to have you can easily get a job elsewhere at a much better company so don't waste your time.

sky330
30th Nov 2005, 06:08
To A340Jock

Seeing the number of hours I am flying, I don't think they need any 340 skipper.

So what is CAL scheduling is you don't need expat crew flying?

After Home leave put one reserve duty in TPE followed by two days off, then another reserve duty followed by another two days off !!

So please leave your family, do come in TPE to do nothing for SIX days! No, you understand we are absolubtly unable to give you more days off at home......

I confess, it is exceptionnal, it is only the third month in a row, they try to do it. :E

I agree with 29chev, what probably p**ed off the expat the most, is that CAL has everything in hands to be one of the greatest airline in the world, they just don't want it!!

So for the umth time,
- Go only to CAL as captain wide-body and if you really need the job, period.

I don't want to work in the Middle-east so I am still here but I'll be out VERY soon.

johntrav69
30th Nov 2005, 08:46
You know, if they gave us more days home leave instead of RD's we wouldnt have time to write this stuff.
Hey hang on, why am I even writing this, I should be applying for another job.
Bye......

Deske1
30th Nov 2005, 09:09
If they change their system and cancel the "double standard",80% of the locals could go for another job.

Anyhow,do You have any info if CAL revise the Marketing and Housing Allowance in December?
Or shall I start the next year in Beijing?:E

johntrav69
30th Nov 2005, 09:18
I heard a rumour about a "revision", but I get so many of the damn things in my dropfile that I ignored it. So how much are they increasing it by then?

gengis
30th Nov 2005, 11:26
Hey Pitotman, this is a bit off topic... did you do a Penang trip on your last flight in CAL?

sky330
1st Dec 2005, 13:47
Hey hang on, why am I even writing this, I should be applying for another job.

Thanks, for tabbed browser, one tab on pprune, one tab on Park, one tab on .... :D

Or shall I start the next year in Beijing?
if you are greedy and only looking for the money, sure cross the China Sea.
Now, if you are looking for the day off, a nice management, professionnal IP,etc .... you're better stay in Taipei :} :} :}

Deske1
1st Dec 2005, 19:22
If the so called "professionalism"-copyright by Bus Tie- is like here for 7000 USD/month(tax free)+housing+8 consecutive days OFF +4 days OFF in PEK why not????:}

Survive 2 or 3 years and go back to an real airline,even it is a low-cost in my Home country.

Not to mention the cost of life in PEK which must be lower than Taiwan-housing,beer,girls?

The ball is at the management of CAL and I guess,I not going to be the only one.Of course I know,market forces and things like this,they will fill up the empty seats with pilots from Indonesia,Philippines for USD 3000 somehundred.
Same story everywhere.

By the way,how many Swiss furloughed guys signed so far?Or how many will?Its better for them if they go to fly a low-cost in Europe for this money or higher!

Still waiting for the notice "Marketing Allowance and Housing Allowance will be reviewed and adjusted by the Company in December of each calendar year"!:\ .....or not waiting...........

29chev
2nd Dec 2005, 05:30
Deske1

Still waiting for the notice "Marketing Allowance and Housing Allowance will be reviewed and adjusted by the Company in December of each calendar year"!

Didn't happen last year I'm sure it won't this year either (unless its down)
Expat Christmas party at Shannon's on the 8th
all welcome

500 Short
2nd Dec 2005, 10:59

dude, did u have 2 have it on the 8th? :cool:

made a mistake when carrot-top, you and i went out last tues., we'll all be in town this monday, let's hook-up then, bring ur roomies. ;)

saviboy
2nd Dec 2005, 11:40
FIRST OFFICER:
1. At least 1,500 total flight hours
2. Hold valid ATPL
3. Age under 45
4. With Current Type Rating is a plus
5. Jet experience is preferable
6. Practical flight hours must be within 12 months
NOTE:

Have they been hiring FO'swith these kinds of hours?

29chev
3rd Dec 2005, 08:43
500 Short

Not really my party just spreading the word for someone else...
call ya Monday

pitotman
3rd Dec 2005, 22:05
gengis,

You wrote "Hey Pitotman, this is a bit off topic... did you do a Penang trip on your last flight in CAL?"

My answer: CORRECT!

Thanks again for the last sector bro......made my trip! If every pairing could have been like that I may have stayed at CAL......but then again only for another 4K usd amonth more that I am making now! Atleast now I know where I am in the upgrade process......! HAHA

Anyword on your immigration? Let me know if you need anything! I am off now for 4 months while I wait for my training course and just hanging around the loveliest city in da world....call me if ya get an overnight and I will come out for dinner to the old ditchmond hilton......

pitotman

Av8tor98
6th Dec 2005, 11:53
Recently completed an interview for an FO position with CAL in Nov.

Found the process to be straight forward with no surprises, everything was well explained and the people were friendly and helpful.

Tech quiz- multi choice
Interview- 4 friendly Captains who conduct a "casual" chat
Sim- as described in the brief supplied when invited for interview
Med- full on over 2 days

My advice to those interested, if you're keen give it your best shot.

Looking forward to receiving advice on the success of my interview!

Cheers.:O

gengis
6th Dec 2005, 12:51
Hey Pitotman, glad to hear all's well. Check your pm.

Emma Ritz
28th Dec 2005, 08:57
Hi everyone

Been contacted by CAL recently to conduct pre interview telephone call, been reading this thread, certainly makes for interesting reading :eek:

A few questions then for you guys who seem to know :

- Can someone maybe advise me what sort of stuff do they ask you in the pre interview telephone call?

- This $20,000 bond you have to pay, am I correct in guessing that you don't get any of it back if you leave within 5 years? No half refund if you leave after 3 years or anything?

- How long after telephone call do they call you out for interview? How long after that to offer of job?

- is there definitely no prospect of ever getting a command with CAL if you join as expat FO?

- How many night stops / nights at home per month on average?

- Your 8 days off per month do you get staff travel to go to your home country?

Tx

Emma Ritz

Guava Tree
30th Dec 2005, 07:27
Sorry Emma. They don't like expat chix.
Probably the so called "expat" component of the pilot management cannot handle the potential threat to their positions.

BlueEagle
30th Dec 2005, 11:03
I could be wrong but I think Emma Ritz may just be a bloke who is working for a well known ME airline.

Emma Ritz
30th Dec 2005, 17:25
BlueEagle is right, I'm a bloke although I don't even work for that well known middle eastern airline either, its just getting hard to come up with a humorous user name that isn't already taken :rolleyes:

Currently doing the european low cost airline thing and just checking out what's on the market ...

I'll do the interview anyway just to see what they are offering but I can tell you it will be a very short interview if they try and offer some contract for $US3.something thousand, they better double that if they are serious about getting people from europe to make the move

CrimsonEclipse
31st Dec 2005, 03:28
A few questions then for you guys who seem to know :

- Can someone maybe advise me what sort of stuff do they ask you in the pre interview telephone call?

- This $20,000 bond you have to pay, am I correct in guessing that you don't get any of it back if you leave within 5 years? No half refund if you leave after 3 years or anything?

correct

- How long after telephone call do they call you out for interview? How long after that to offer of job?

2-4 weeks, unknown

- is there definitely no prospect of ever getting a command with CAL if you join as expat FO?

not a chance in hell

my $.02

CE

mellofello
31st Dec 2005, 05:46
Anything you want to know about CAL has been posted in this thread... take the time and read it through!

If you are flying a jet somwhere else... you might want to ask yourself what can you possibly gain by going to CAL except perhaps a headache.

If you do not have any heavy jet experience, you are going to be in for a rude awakening... and will be asking yourself why you dropped $20g's and locked in for 5 years.

CTM1394
22nd Jul 2006, 05:07
Taipei, is not a dirty, overcrowded, jammed city and so on... as some would like to depict...come to Bangkok, go to Saigon, Kuala lumpur you'll see what are jammed and dirty cities .Tapei is a kind of heaven in Asia compare to them...neater and cleaner...

confirm-finals?
29th Sep 2006, 16:48
Anyone got any information on the Tech Questions?

lostona747
6th Oct 2006, 09:28
They are a breeze.
I work for CAL so here's my two cents. Not bad, not great. I would never pay them a training bond if that's what they are asking for now. You will feel trapped and hostile towards them. The training is very difficult and not a pleasant time at all. This goes for initial, rides and line checks. Many people flee here. It's not for the faint of heart. I enjoy the line flying, for the most part.

Come here as an F/O and expect an upgrade sometime in the next 15 years. I can't imagine anyone staying here long enough to make it, but some do.

bumba
18th Feb 2010, 10:41
... anybody with fresh posts on this thread?

Floatsnowlonghaul
11th Jan 2012, 00:46
Left seat 744?
There's rumours of 6 or 7 freighters being sold.
Left seat Airbus: yes.
Left seat 737: yes.
744: i don't see it happening.

JammedStab
23rd Sep 2012, 11:58
Where do the expats stay at CAL? Are you right in Taipei or near the airport or spread apart.