Master baiter
1st Feb 2000, 02:51
Wallop? Where or what is Wallop?

gazdvr
2nd Feb 2000, 01:32
Wallop.... if you don't know you don't matter

JAFCon
3rd Feb 2000, 02:13
Wallop - Been there, grew-up got a real job in real aviation, got paid better and got more respect and didn't have to put up with **** -holes, Mind you I did enjoy my time in it other than the afore mentioned person's

MightyGem
3rd Feb 2000, 08:22
It's still there. If you look at topics over the last 10 days. It's just that no one's posted a reply since 24 Jan.

Skycop
3rd Feb 2000, 08:57
I say, Wallop - is that Nether, Over, or somewhere noisy and grarssy (I think it had 2 "r"s)in between? Is there an Under/Upper/Up and Under Wallop? Wasn't there a Chipmunk flight around there at one time?(Tin helmet at the ready / still able to mask up in nine).

------------------
May the Force be with you - and may Gravity treat you gently..

[This message has been edited by Skycop (edited 03 February 2000).]

sumo
5th Feb 2000, 00:00
Well heres some fuel for the fire!!! Just heard that there will not be a new power plant for the LUH (again not enough cash) so youll have to stick with the reliable gem hmmm?

piston broke
5th Feb 2000, 03:40
Can anyone explain why the Army has to use the complex and maintenance-hungry Lynx as a utility helo? Seems just like using the Roller as a taxi because his Lordship gone broke...

I realise they have them already, but it seems daft to me to be replacing the simple Gaz with highly complex Lynx just because theyre there.

What happens in 10 yrs time? Will Apache be cobbled into a support role rather than getting something relevant, like a fleet of AS355 Squirrels at 1/10 the cost and 10x the usefullness?

Call me a cynic if you like, but this idea of retire Gaz, replace with Lynx & acquire Apache seems to me an utterly alse "advance" in terms of cost effecticeness.

Why is the AAC based at Wattisham where low flying is impossible due too many chicken farms/nimbys and transit time to the proper low level areas is an hour or so, yet each pilot is limited to 15hrs per month???

Heads should roll. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Cyclic Hotline
9th Feb 2000, 05:43
If Middle Wallop is the centre of the Universe for British Army Aviation, would I be correct in thinking that the centre of the Universe for the Fleet Air Arm might be Codswallop? ;)

Master baiter
10th Feb 2000, 03:37
Cyclic hotline

Nice one.....like it!

Skycop
10th Feb 2000, 04:44
In the meantime they could always build a few gliders...

piston broke
11th Feb 2000, 04:22
cyclic, for codswallop read culdrose, much the same thing really as you so accurately observed.

I do recall enjoying gliding at codsroes but skycop I miss your point...perhaps its the time of night! Bear in mind the Essex Gliding Club were opposed in starting their base at (?) Ridgewell by local nimbys on the basis of NOISE!!!!

Ah well...

:)

:)

[This message has been edited by piston broke (edited 11 February 2000).]

Skycop
12th Feb 2000, 03:50
Piston Broke, sorry that my comment went over your head. It was a reference to aircraft once used by the AAC. (They didn't take long to get those into front-line service). I suppose that the Dakotas etc used to tow them on their one and only flight would have been very noisy. (In those days NIMBYs were treated with the disrespect they deserved) :)

PurplePitot
12th Feb 2000, 10:48
Hmmm, Piston broke (I’ve just got the name by the way, very good) You clearly, have never flown a 355 and to suggest that it come any where close to the job that the Lynx manages to do, especially the mk9, makes me wince. I have vertically powered out of Chelsea with 9 pax and 2 crew with a RoC in excess of 1000ft per min – try that in an F1??

As a newly qualified pilot in the Corps (I suspect) and being posted to What-a-Shame you are getting confused as to what your role as a pilot really is, can I suggest that it is to take your helicopter into war and then try and win (or survive). To do that you need a military spec machine with military spec power.

Another thing that made me wince was your appalling spelling, please, please, please invest in a spell checker.

PS Where are the ‘proper low level areas’? LFA 10 is on your doorstep.

Hugh Jörgan
12th Feb 2000, 11:03
Hey Piston broke,

Don't know what problems you have in tooling around the Wattisham area low level. Of the average 5 hours a month that we're getting here, 2 of that is normally spent at about 50 feet.

There's some fairly challenging terrain around for map reading, and if it's not hard enough, there's always flat as ***k 5 just north.