PDA

View Full Version : Rwy 23 EGLL - wot rwy 23?

positionand hold
13th Oct 2005, 19:18
I see on the latest UK AIP chart that rwy 23 has finally officially become only taxiway A (not that it has really been a runway for ages, of course). Surprised it did not merit a mention here though (unless I missed it).

Good to know there will obvioulsy not be any more of those southerly gales then.

How long before there are remote stands between Lokki and Satun (to keep 170 and 171 company).

davedek
13th Oct 2005, 19:45
Also gone from the SID charts...

RIP Runway 23

Finbarr
13th Oct 2005, 19:47
Remember when one horrible evening I was with the pre- MO'L Ryanair (Ah, those were the days!) and approached NOC rw 27 S/w 270 70 G 90. No problem I thought - straight down the runway. At 1500 ft the Rombac 1-11 was uncontrollable - diverted to DUB where it was a mere 230 50 G 70. Landed. White knuckles. They had closed the into-prevailing wind RW 23 only weeks before - same @ LHR?

captplaystation
13th Oct 2005, 22:24
23 LHR on a dark&dirty night(which was of course the only time you used it)was better real-life wind-shear training than any number of sim sessions.Wonder how many diversions ended up in (into wind)STN since they closed it.

PAXboy
13th Oct 2005, 22:36
As Pax, I only recall using it once. On a Viscount coming back from Ronaldsway (IOM). So this must have been mid-80s. As I recall, weather was not too blustery but the differnt scenerey outside the window was disconcerting.

I was very pleased when they closed it, as it meant that BAA had reached the status of God (that they always knew they were) and could control the winds ever afterwards. :hmm:

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Max Angle
14th Oct 2005, 00:24
Used it quite a few times over the years but I don't recall a day since it was shut that a/c diverted due to the wind being out of limits on 27L/R. It's bound to happen though and then it will be off to STN which at least points the same way, reckon it will get a bit busy up Essex way when it does!.

OLNEY2d
14th Oct 2005, 06:54
More about Heathrow runway exotica posted here if you're interested

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=193735

Bearcat
14th Oct 2005, 07:42
i remember landing on rwy 23 in such bad weather winds gusting on the nose 60kts. I was flying a 732. I was so relieved to be on the ground that I failed to pull reverse!! memories

captplaystation
14th Oct 2005, 21:13
Only 60kts! CHRIST MAN ,YOU CAME IN ON A QUIET NIGHT!

flown-it
15th Oct 2005, 16:10
Didn't a Pan Am 747 drag an engine landing on 23 back in the late 70s early 80s?
Seem to think that the terminals/BA hangers could cause some interesting windshear depending on wind direction but I have only done that approach once or twice (and before you wise a$$es jump in ...not on the same day!!!)

TheOddOne
15th Oct 2005, 19:29
flown-it,

You're quite right. Gave a whole new meaning to 'lost an engine' as it came off the pylon and lay on the deck. Wish I still had the photos...

We used to sit by the side of the runway having done all the checks to open it (a very long-draaaaaawn-out process) and watch the fun. Concorde, the 1-11s, Tridents and the old 737-200s seemed to cope pretty well, but the 757, brand new then, seemed to give the crews tremendous trouble, rock and roll all down final then bouncing from one leg to another, often resulting in go-arounds.

The Autumn gales can only be just around the corner...

The Odd One

frangatang
16th Oct 2005, 02:46
Landed on 23 in a 777 some 4 years back coming from dubai.A 747 got in behind us then that was that,everyone else was diverting.It was so rough l could hear someone screaming in first class.Plenty of bead counting as well.Stopped in less than half the runway.Then had to wait 45 mins to get the door open.The other disturbing thing was that it was only 6.30 am and stansted birmingham and manchester were already full of diversions.We would have had to made it to glasgow.So beware if it is forecast windy.Ohh,the wind was at least down 23,at 68 kts.