View Full Version : Loft / Joc / Jot ????

CaptSimile
13th Oct 2005, 11:32
Good Afternoon everyone,

If possible could anyone enlighten me on the difference between a LOFT course and a Jet Orientation Course ???

On an online application for a German Airline, it requests if I have undertaken a LOFT course - I have undertaken a Jet Orientation Course on a full motion B757-200, would this allow me to tick yes???

Thanks in advance and apologies for my English.

CaptSimile

TheFlyingDJ
13th Oct 2005, 12:08
no worries about your english, it's acceptable :D hehe, n kidding, it's good. You do might want to change undertaken for taken :) undertaking is not a jet business :D (still kidding!)

ok, ontopic :

in theory, no.

JOT - i think - is more about specific aircraft handling, where LOFT is more route specific.
They say that LOFT is airline specific, but not sure if it's only that. Maybe there are companies offering LOFT training with own SOP's.

have a look at the Oxford forums, you may find some more info there.

cheers and good luck:D

jb5000
13th Oct 2005, 12:34
Afternoon,

As I understand it, by talking to someone 'in the know', a LOFT is simply to get you geared up to flying 'on the line'. It is very much airline flying orientated, rather than your standard local VFR flight, for instance. I know that a part of the CTC course is LOFT, and that it is flown on a light twin.

A JOC on the other hand is designed to introduce the differences in handling between piston and jet aircraft.

Hope that helps in some way, sorry I couldn't be more specific.

James

CaptSimile
13th Oct 2005, 13:02
Thanks guys.

I am still not 100% sure.

I will try the Oxford forums and see if they can shed any light on the subject.

I have a feeling that completing a JOT / JOC is not the same as a LOFT course as pointed out by FlyingDJ.

After a little research too on my part I would have to agree with jb5000.

I will check Oxford anyway and see. I will report back if I get a definative answer.

CaptSimile

Mercenary Pilot
13th Oct 2005, 15:42
LOFT was replaced under JAR by MCC. So I would say you could tick the box as long as you have an MCC certificate. Some airlines may call their line training "LOFT" but I haven’t heard the term used for a long time.

Hope this helps

Good Luck with it.
:ok: