PDA

View Full Version : Madagascar presidential chopper prangs

4HolerPoler
13th Oct 2005, 10:07
President escapes chopper fire

Antananarivo - Madagascar's President Marc Ravalomanana, his wife Lalao and a government minister escaped unhurt when their helicopter caught fire on landing, a presidential aide said on Thursday. Raymond Ramandimbilahatra said the rotor assembly burst into flames as the helicopter was landing on Wednesday on rough ground at Imerin'Imady, in the centre of the country, as Ravalomana was on a tour. "We don't known what caused the accident," he said. "Perhaps it was the turbulence of another helicopter which had landed just before." The president and his wife, along with minister for decentralisation and improvement, Jean Angelin Randrianarison, were able to leave the helicopter without injury. Ravalomanana delivered a scheduled speech at Imerin'Imady before returning to the capital on board a spare helicopter sent to fetch him, Ramandimbilahatra said, adding that an investigation would be launched into the accident.

Gouabafla
13th Oct 2005, 11:26
4HP - what was the source of this story?

Ta.

It's on the Reuters wire. 4HP

oompilot
13th Oct 2005, 11:30
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn’t a Grand Central based, South African operator responsible for this contract. If so, I heard they nearly lost it a few months ago due to comments from certain eggbeater pilots about President Ravalomanana himself?? Oh wise and gossiping ones on pprune, out of interest shed some light please.

Updraught
13th Oct 2005, 13:21
Yeeees, it was taken over by another Grand Central based company. Some friends are flying there. Wonder who the pilot is?;)

ANVAK
13th Oct 2005, 13:36
Apparently it was a 222 and a French pilote flying - confined landing and rolled over. The SA pilots with a 407 had to get the prez out.

krobar
16th Oct 2005, 12:17
A french candian pilot flew the 222 about six months ago while I was there. Lots of experience. Don't know if he's still flying it though.

Vertical_Reference
16th Oct 2005, 18:31
I heard a rumour that the accident might have been caused by a brown out? Any news on that?

Nomodakine
19th Oct 2005, 10:19
Here is what the local news papers were saying:

The 222 with the president onboard was landing in an "uneaven confined area" just after the first chopper landed.

The 222 colided with the other chopper, rolled over and caught fire, the accident probably being due to a brown out as mentioned above.

A third helicopter was called in to allow the president to finish his trip.

Rumours the day after the crash had it that the president was at the control (he was seating in the front) which he denied later on.

An investigation is on the way and the local civil aviation said they were not competent to perform it. The news paper doubt that there will be any result to it.

Will keep you posted if some new comes up.