PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Dixon Supports New IR Laws

Sunfish
13th Oct 2005, 09:37
I wonder why??????????????????????

speedbirdhouse
13th Oct 2005, 09:52
You beat me to it Sunfish.

According to darth dixon himself so that he can continue with more offshoring, outsourcing, casualisation and the like.

He even had the gall to state that Qantas would be contributing to the Australian Business Council's fighting fund and that he believed that Australian workers would be better off under Howards IR changes.

Geoff, Qantas workers are [at present] mostly Australian and we most definitely WON'T be better off with more of what you claim is to come:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: You Prique.

Boney
13th Oct 2005, 10:53
Howard has been dying to screw the average Aussie hard for years and now Dixon agrees with him.

I would never have guessed.

Mr.Buzzy
13th Oct 2005, 10:56
Next is the goose-step!

bbbbbbbzzzzzzzzbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ronnie Honker
13th Oct 2005, 11:13
That little bean counter put the screws on us when he was Fraser's Treasurer.
Now he's in the box seat, and Bush's best mate, they are both pushing the anti union, greed is good for top level management - but not for the little people - barrow.
Dixon is in a good position for Howard to use to screw the remaining airline transport unions (having let Ansett sink, and take a large block of them out there), and Dixon sold out any morals he might have had about replacing Australian labour with cheap, non-unionised, overseas labour years ago, for a multi-million dollar annual payoff.

Butterfield8
13th Oct 2005, 12:16
...and nobody will will admit to voting for this fascist little swine.

Incontinentia Butocs
13th Oct 2005, 13:04
Well rumour has it that Woods has Kelty and/or Hawke on hold as the statesmen. Fancy the ARG bringing the two most hated unionists to the table. Their actions in 1989 show their absolute contempt for pilots.

The ARG are advising the pilots to vote no to the current long haul eba. They are also going to attempt to affiliate with the ACTU which also shat on pilots in 1989.

If Woods and AIPA take the tack that they are on, why wouldn't Qantas get on side with the current Government with their MANDATE. Funny that mandate is a word thrown around by the ARG, but I know who has the power.

My command inside of 5 years is looking real good at Qantas. If only I can convince the majority to VOTE NO TO THE EBA.

It's about time we promoted on experience.

Ultralights
13th Oct 2005, 13:11
I know i will get seriously flamed for this.... but fcukit.

ever since my business was sold... no thanks to the ever piling red tape and no social life, i have returned to my trade......under an AWA.... aka the New IR system...

and to be honest, its the best thing thats ever happened, in 11 yrs employed under an EBA, a total 6% pay rise! in 11 Yrs!!!!! then the straw that broke the camels back so to speak... being forced into a 30% pay CUT, after a 1 yr wage freeze! then being told to get back to where i was before, work another 10 yrs!

unworkable 3 week rotating roster... no social life... and every eba removed more benefits after benefits, all while posting record profits mind you.. YAY for EBA's! and union negotiating...

now, 4 months working under an AWA, in the same Industry, for a foreign company no less. already in 4 months my AWA has seen a 4% pay rise, for 1 yr, and a $1500 profit share bonus! still work a 40 hr week, over 4 days! every weekend is a long weekend! My family loves me again and i spend quality time with the family, and times are flexible, if i want to have a day off, i can come in on the usual weekday off to make it up, same with sick leave... an hr here or there can be made up, as long as i do my 40 hrs in the week.
annual leave is the same as the old EBAs, 2 weeks or 80 hrs, but every weekend being a long weekend, leave is rarley spent..

and the icing on the cake..... my basic pay is $250 a WEEK better than my old employer under those lovely EBA's.....

with the sale of my courier business, i have the cash, and the TIME to actually enjoy time with my Wife, and enjoy everything our property has to offer.... life is so much better with no stress..

In My Opinion.... the new IR reforms are the best thing that has happened to me, and many others..... and as the company understands, a happy workforce is a much more productive workforce... just look at our competitor!

Incontinentia Butocs
13th Oct 2005, 13:29
Ultralights,

Bravo!

At least you could see the world changing and adapt.

My senior comrades want to hang on to bloated awards and die with them.

Here it comes, just please please vote NO.

spinout
13th Oct 2005, 21:01
IB did you get your start in Qantas via Australian Airlines after 89?

Sunfish
13th Oct 2005, 22:10
Actually Possums, my guess is that this move will, in the longer term, strengthen, not weaken, unions.

Sunfish's law is: "Governments always achieve the exact reverse of their apparent intentions".

If this legislation is draconian enough, people will be falling over themselves to join unions and there will be strikes - laws or no laws.

HotDog
13th Oct 2005, 23:14
and nobody will will admit to voting for this fascist little swine.

I did and will vote for him again!

Mobi LAME
14th Oct 2005, 00:32
Everything Dixon says or does is carefully thought out with the long term future in mind, and I certainly wouldn't play poker against him. I haven't read his address but apparently there were references in his speech about cut price International carriers. I bet this is the start of the softening up process for the establishment of Jetstar International and the possible end of Australian Airlines as we know it. There are a million rumours floating about in Jetstar at the moment with a lot of them concerning A330s. I think it will happen in some form but how I don't know. From an Engineering view point it is going to be hard to keep 2 types covered whilst sweeping the tarmac with a broomstick shoved up the freckle. But as we've all been told there's hundreds of Engineers bashing on the door to get into Jest-ar.

Ultralights
14th Oct 2005, 02:29
were im working now, we would love to see where these hundreds of engineers are? we are being paid the best rates in OZ compared to QF VB J* fantastic company to work for -how many other companies in Oz will hire out a pub for a friday evening, with an open tab on food and no grog drinks! just for getting an aircraft out 14 days ahead of schedule! not to mention great hours, 10 hrs a day 4 days a week... no shift work.....

and we are seriously understaffed! the jobs are on offer! but where are the hundreds of engineers??

numbskull
14th Oct 2005, 02:56
I get the feeling there will soon be quite a few QF LAMES looking for new positions.

Who are you working for now Ultralights? I might try and beat the crowd! There seems to be very little future for the majority of QF LAMES.

Even if they do eventually get a few new A/C types, chances are that very few of us will be working on them!

Lead Balloon
14th Oct 2005, 06:22
Come on Sunfish... do you really believe unions are going to get stronger??

I predict that the labor party to win the next election (whichever one they win) will distance themselves from the union movement to gain intellectual capital.

10 years of peter reith and jack-boot johnny have left the unions exactly where the punters wanted them - neutered.

Do you really and truly think that a unionised workforce can compete against Asian carriers??? Honest answer please.

Unfortunately - fairness and a liveable wage were sold down the political river when our illustrious politicians started after the "two bob millioniare" or aspirational voter, vote.

Best to get yourself into an industry that does not have political capital is my advice.

sys 4
14th Oct 2005, 07:49
come on ultrlights I'm a QF LAME who is about to get the arse ,heavy syd is all but finished.Who is this great employer

fruitloop
14th Oct 2005, 22:38
Ultralight ........we are waiting with baited breath ......and also hoping for a spot.....Ditto sys 4 !!

Pappa Smurf
15th Oct 2005, 01:41
Ive been on a AWA for over 10 years now and nothing much has changed.
The main reason they went that way was for continuity of supplying there product.Before that about 1 month a year was strikes for petty things like pies not warm enough or food not the best at lunch time.Hardly any of them was a gain for us.

Originally they dangled the carrot and offered us more money to sign an AWA.The diehards didnt but over the years they got sick of doing the same job and getting paid less so signed up.
Also saved the company on a lot of time office personel as wages were the same each month whetther working ,holidays or sick.Long term sick would drop allowances and go back to base wage.

Base wage is 40,000 to 54,000 (example ) then shift allowance and area allowance.Each year they go up 1,500 or more depending on CPI.

New starters start on the 40g and if they are experienced and refuse it then they negotiate which didnt happen to start with but now of labour shortages experience helps.

To get from 40g to the top,they say takes 5 years,but thats on how well you work-----bit like the old school report days.

get points for how well you work
safety
attitude
communication
respect for others
team membership
attendance and timekeeping
flexibility
work standards etc etc etc

if you under achieve you may get a $50 payrise for the year
Meet expectations and you will get the $1500
Over exceed and it can be up to $4000 depending where you are on the basic pay scale.

Any wrong doings you go up through the rank of bosses and if its not sorted out by then it goes to court and they pay for your lawyer.

My personal record work wise is tops but safety shoots me down as i refuse to do the paper work-------putting in safety hazards--take 5,s--observations etc.

They can not offer you an AWA less than what you get .

If you have to do an extra day somewhere you get a day off later.

So theres no need to worry-------all conditions on your present award remain

I think little Johnie just wants to boost the economy by not losing out on days on strike.

Times are a changing.

We also have about 15% of workforce who are contractors and get about $10 an hour less,no leave loading etc,but cost the company more to keep than us as they have to feed and room them
Reason-----when the boom dies down,they go and the company doesnt have to fork out on redundancies.
Similar to the casuals in the airline bussiness.
I call them trainees in my game because if people leave they get offered a job on the company payroll.

So cheer up ----the worlds not ending

Enema Bandit's Dad
15th Oct 2005, 02:08
I reckon you Qantas blokes are stuffed now. Have the Virgin powers that be commented on the legislation yet?

16th Oct 2005, 00:00
Welcome to the 21st Century Eureka Stockade. Lets stick it up em!

sys 4
16th Oct 2005, 01:27
ultralights come out,come out where ever you are ????????

Turbo 5B
16th Oct 2005, 23:41
Why wouldn't Dixon support the laws?
they are designed to increase profit, not increase the take home pay of the average worker, and he has been assisting the fed gov to formulate these laws for quite a while.
As a reward the Government has taken away (or intends to take away) our right to take industrial action as a bargaining tool.
Qantas now holds all the Aces.
We are just Bunnies in the spotlight.
It'll be interesting to see how our shift penalties are used in the next round of negotiations.

Dropt McGutz
17th Oct 2005, 03:05
Let's be fair. Think of the bonus's that management will make.

Ultralights
17th Oct 2005, 07:52
Sys 4, fruitloop, check ya PM's

fruitloop
17th Oct 2005, 12:54
Thanks for the info there !!

sys 4
17th Oct 2005, 22:41
thanks ultralights