PDA

View Full Version : CHC Recruitment

stabout
13th Oct 2005, 08:44
Hi all

Have recently passed CHC selection and waiting for a sim slot or flight in the Super Puma at Aberdeen.

Does anyone have any information on what they will be looking for?

Would like to hear from other that have also passed.

Thanks

BHPS
13th Oct 2005, 08:56
Don't know the specifics, but I expect that they want to see what you are like in the cockpit (CRM, etc) plus a check of your handling skills.

All I would suggest is not to pre-empt anything and just be yourself.

stabout
13th Oct 2005, 09:33
Thanks.

Just wondering whether they will want to see a SID, Hold, STAR etc or whether they get you to fly any other specific profile?

Heard a rumour that the SIM in Norway is booked up for three months.

callie dog
13th Oct 2005, 09:43
Well done in getting through selection, as a matter of interest what was involved in the selection process.

BHPS
13th Oct 2005, 09:44
I don't know the specifics as I said earlier, but if you have an instrument rating already then I would guess you could be asked to show your skills in this area. I have also known with other operators that they will give you exercises to fly such as climbing and descending co-ordinated turns IFR, e.g. rate 1 turn from say North to South climbing 1000ft to check out your IF scan.

All I can recommend is just be ready for anything. Even if they give you a hold or a procedural approach it may not be for where the simulator is located or even where you might be expected to work.

Just take it as it comes.

Whatever you get, good luck.

stabout
13th Oct 2005, 10:01
Thanks BHPS, have you just passed and if so have you got any indications of where and when? PM if needed.

callie dog
The first day was psychometric and aptitude testing in the morning followed by an interview in the afternoon asking HR type questions and then a variety of tech questions. The second day was an interview with a psychologist in the morning and that completes the first phase of selection.

All I would say is just be yourself if are going for selection, reading some books on psychometric testing did me no harm prior to attending.

Good luck

Droopystop
13th Oct 2005, 10:56
I would guess that you will be expected to shoot at least one ILS to minima.

callie dog
13th Oct 2005, 11:23
stabout,

Thanks for that, were the technical questions type specific, heli general, radio nav or just a bit of both.

Did they let you know on the day or was it the letter in the post

stabout
13th Oct 2005, 12:25
The questions were varied covering MET, Helicopter PofF and OPs. Nothing specific to their helicopters.

If you are an instructor you'll be well up to speed on their questions with a bit of extra reading around the subjects.

I was told that I would hear the following week but received a telephone call within three days followed by a letter of confirmation.

Have you got a date for selection callie dog?

332mistress
13th Oct 2005, 12:48
They do seem to make this recruitment business very complicated nowadays though HR departments have to find a use for themselves I suppose.

In my day you had a chat with the Chief Pilot showed your logbook used the secret handshake and started on the 332 the next day. All this testing and profiling is a complete waste of time, a look at the logbook and at most a sim trip is all that is needed - we have had pilots who have passed all the psycho tests and still can't land on a deck at night in poor viz.:{

332M

NorthSeaTiger
13th Oct 2005, 12:57
Hows about doing a MaxNG without overtemping the engine ?

stabout
13th Oct 2005, 13:20
I have landed on decks at night a number of times and haven't exceeded any turbine limits yet.

To NothSeaTiger and 332mistress

When you went through your sim rides what did they get you to do?

332mistress
13th Oct 2005, 14:55
Hello Stabout

I didn't do a sim ride as I knew the secret handshake, had loads of heavy twin time (ex mil) and was therefore employed straight away.

What N S Tiger is refering to is an engine check where you retard one engine to ground idle and then pull power until the other engine reaches either max Ng or max T4 it is possible to reach max T4 before max Ng if the engine is below par.

You say you have done night decks so I assume you have some experience (where did you do them?) and my argument is that all the pyscho tests in the world won't prove that you are a good pilot or team player. They are designed to keep HR people in employment. Rumour has it that a 4000hr 332 pilot failed the pyscho tests!! :confused:

332M

offtrack
13th Oct 2005, 15:29
Hi Stabout,

congrats on passing the selection, for your simride, be prepared for emergencies like engine fire, loss of oil pressure, and so on. What they want to see, in addition to your flying skills, is how you cooperate and use of crm in cockpit. Remember to stay cool.

BHPS
13th Oct 2005, 16:39
Thanks BHPS, have you just passed and if so have you got any indications of where and when?

Hi stabout

No I am already in the business and my assessment/interview was almost identical to that which 332mistress had.

I also agree that all this psychometric stuff doesn't exactly prove whether you have what it needs for the job. It seems these days managers are convinced by HR people (most of whom know nothing about aviation) that they must do these tests.

stabout
14th Oct 2005, 07:51
Looks like I'll be in group 3 or 4 then? (No IR or Type Rating)

kissmysquirrel is there any indications of timings yet, which group do you fall into?