PDA

View Full Version : Caravelle and Comet Simulators

SE210
13th Oct 2005, 06:28
Dear Friends

Years back Sterling Airways had a Caravelle simulator, which was placed in Flight Training Center in Copenhagen. As I recollect, it was sold to a company in the UK to be used for MCC training.

Do any of you, know the name of this company, and do you know if the simulator is still being used.

Secondly, I am wondering if there are any preserved Comet 4 simulators in the world. I believe Mexicana had one, which was later sold to the guy behind the "Chicago Comet"

I would be grateful, if anybody has information.

Brgds

SE210

sedburgh
13th Oct 2005, 09:57
The Science Museum has ( had ? ) a Comet sim in store at Wroughton, I believe it was the one used by the College of Air Training at Hamble, I don't know if it was a Comet 4

Philip Morten

Airways Ed
14th Oct 2005, 17:32
The former Dragor sim was 'rescued' in 2004 from the UK and is now with the Suomen Ilmailumuseo (Finnish Aviation Museum) at Helsinki-Vantaa. As it was originally's Finnair's Super Caravelle sim it has returned home.

The ex-Mexicana sim (at Roselawn, Indiana) is believed to have been scrapped in the 1990s. Although no Comet sims are in operation, a couple survive.

More details have been published (in books still in print), but I don't think I can name the titles here.

SE210
14th Oct 2005, 18:11
Dear John

Thank you for the information. I heard of the Finish simulator, but did not know, that it used to be the Sterling simulator as well.

I will check my comet books to see, if I can find anything. The Mexicana simulator was sold to "Dick Prost", I believe. A shame, if it was scrapped.

By the way, I received a copy of your Caravelle book. Excellent work, and I suppose you could easily print another 2000 books.

Brgds

SE210

Airways Ed
15th Oct 2005, 00:43
The Comet (and sim) went to Dick Drost, who ran a nudist colony called Naked City.

Many thanks for kind words!