PDA

View Full Version : How to recover win registration?

Vortex what...ouch!
13th Oct 2005, 05:23
I had to replace my HD and re-install windows XP. Managed to get my original disk back on line with all the data but need to know where to look for my original windows registration code in the old windows folder. Obviously I need this to runlock my new installation. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Spinflight
13th Oct 2005, 08:06
The registration code comes on a certificate with the CD. It dosn't, to the very best of my knowledge, appear in any of the windows files.

Background Noise
13th Oct 2005, 08:42
Do you mean the activation code? Presumably if you've reinstalled XP you're past the licence number bit that I think Spin's talking about? If your original set-up came with XP pre-installed, the licence number should be on a sticker somewhere on the base unit.

I don't think there's a record of the activation code anywhere, you just activate the new install, either on line or by phone. I reinstalled XP a number of times, with and without new hardware and had to do the activation by phone. The phone option goes through an automated entry system first and if that fails you get a real person. They never queried why and always gave a number which worked without any snags.

Any of that help?

heinzmanm
13th Oct 2005, 10:37
I recommend the Belarc Advisor program (freeware) which will produce a report of your computer along with registration numbers & activation keys for all Windows software on your system.
I suggest keeping a hard copy of it in case you ever need to re-install

Matt