PDA

View Full Version : Question from a PPL(A)

TangoZulu
12th Oct 2005, 21:53
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes anyway!

Why does the PIC in an aeroplane sit on the left, but in a helicopter PIC sits on the right?

I was aksed this by a colleague at work who assumed that as a PPL I woudl know the answer - had to admit defeat:p

My only thought was whether it was something to do with the direction the rotor turns and the corresponding reaction meaning the pilot sits on the best side for visibility?

I also had a vague recollection that Russian built helicopters had rotors which turned in the opposite direction and therefore PIC sits on the left - not sure where I got that idea from.

Any answers woudl be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

TZ

Revolutionary
12th Oct 2005, 22:30
Just a few random comments:

Not all helicopters are flown from the right seat, and there is little correlation with the direction of travel of the main rotor. Some, like the Hughes 500 and the EC130 are routinely flown from the left seat, although their main rotors turn in opposite directions.

In many helicopters, especially those without SAS (stability augmentation) or autopilot systems, it is easier to let go of the collective (in your left hand) than the cyclic (in your right hand) to turn a knob, flip a switch or scratch a body part. Sitting in the right seat means you don't have to awkwardly cross your arms or change hands to reach the instrument panel.

I'm sure there are historical reasons for the pilot position as well, dating back to the time when seating arrangements in aircraft went from tandem to side-by-side.

B Sousa
12th Oct 2005, 22:54
Actually its because very few can be flown from the middle................#101

Whirlybird
13th Oct 2005, 07:39
Ah, what goes around comes around and all that. I asked the same question back in 2001 - to which Speechless Two has very kindly posted the link. No-one really knew then, and it looks as though they still don't. It seems to be historical, basically.

Role1a
13th Oct 2005, 09:20
Have looked at previous thread and it is interesting that no one has mentioned the cargo/trooping door from early military helos.
I believe the tradition originates from the need for the Handling pilot to see the troops as they enter the disk (and to clear them in).
Again, only a guess but it makes sense, of course the door could have been put that side as the pilot was already there!!! (Chicken and egg etc)

Ask a 100 pilots etc!!!!

R1a

PPRUNE FAN#1
13th Oct 2005, 13:57
The left/right PIC seat is a subject to which people devote entirely too much thought and analysis. It is completely arbitrary based on manufacturer. I've got so much time in helicopters that when I build my dream fixed-wing (Lancair IV-PT) the PIC seat will be on the right so the side-stick will be in my right hand and the throttle will be in my left.Speechless Two: "Probably if you ask 100 pilots you'll get 100 different answers!" B Souza: "Actually its because very few can be flown from the middle................#101"Glad you said "very few." Stan Hiller would indignantly point you to his Model 12. Bell would probably point to the J-model (not entirely accurately as far as this thread is concerned). And Igor would say, "Da, but vee only put one collective in zee R-4."

B Sousa
13th Oct 2005, 14:21
Glad you said "very few." Stan Hiller would indignantly point you to his Model 12

PP one
I grew up in the OH-23 (UH-12). It was a fun machine. Even got to ferry one across the US of A. Actually I never really grew up.......
Throttle grips were rubber and most had the words "Harley-Davidson" on them.

Thomas coupling
13th Oct 2005, 21:42
Super Frelons can be flown from the middle position.

And what a shame ECD didnt take advantage of this left Vs right bias by making the Commander sit in the middle in the EC130 :ooh: [Joke!].