PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft overrun at Mumbai

lizardking
12th Oct 2005, 16:35
An Air Sahara aircraft, with 117 passengers on board overshot the runway while landing at the Mumbai airport this evening.

No one was injured after the aircraft overshot. However, two passengers were injured while alighting the plane, the airport director, Mr Sudhir Kumar said.

There were four crew members.

“The Kolkata-Mumbai aircraft overshot the runway but an alternate runway was available and there was no cause to worry,” Mr Kumar said.

Passengers have been taken to the terminal building, he added.

RoyHudd
12th Oct 2005, 16:54
Usual 3rd world baloney from Mr. Kumar.

If only 1 runway needed, why have 2?

Fact is, Mumbai is a poor and badly-maintained airport, like so many other so-called international standard fields in India and Pakistan. Caveat emptor.

Analyser
12th Oct 2005, 16:59
A Sahara Boeing 737-800 Went off the runway at Mumbai on the Sunday 9 October at 1350 UTC.
For those familiar with Mumbai airport the aircraft touched down somewhere between taxiways B4 and C and overran the runway(RW 27) by about 160FT.All 120 passengers and crew evacuated safely with no injuries.
The aircraft nose wheel is stuck in the damp mud and the engines have also partially wedged into the ground.
It was a command training flight for an Indian captain and a Bolivian or Russian instructor on the right seat. Also heard that despite repeated instructions by ATC that they are high and to go around they landed nearly 4000Ft past the threshold.
Flight operations in Mumbai are in Chaos with nearly 30 diversions and also flights being delayed for the last two days.
Also typical of the Indian Airport Authority, they have been unable to remove the jet due lack of equipment and one attempt had the aircraft sinking back into the Mud.
Indian Aviation is booming with growth of nearly 25% annually but the ATC and airport infrastructure are unable to cope with the rise in aircraft and passenger traffic and are understaffed and poorly equipped. Also a number of expat pilots have been hired by the domestic airlines and have a tough time with ATC and Jurassic regulations.

mutt
12th Oct 2005, 18:06
Somebody should tell Mr Kumar that due to the location of their control tower, IATA considers only 1 (09/27) runway to be legally usuable!

Should be fun in March when they begin construction work on 09/27!

Mutt

EMB170
13th Oct 2005, 10:39
Little add on to mr kumar,

his response, utter rubish!
been flying around india for last three month and i have following advise to give!!
1. watch where you are going, people just running around everywhere on the airfield, dogs on runway and taxi way very common.

2.most important of all, DO NOT, i say DO NOT go to india on minimum or anywhere near minimum fuel.

only last week ,went from dubai to delhi and as on every flight checked notams and so on. about 40 minutes into flight was told by karachi control, delhi airport was closed due to military excersise, expect one hour delay,wasn't published anywhere.

coming back to mumbai (bombay)!
went there last monday,two days after crash and guess what, yes it was a problem, because rwy 14 has no taxi way past intersection, hence you got to back track!

we were number six , again 1 hour delay, and the vectoring again was total madness! aircraft were told to orbit in present position,just about anywhwere in the sky, after 20 mins they sent us in published hold 90 track miles from approach.

not surprisingly airlines running short fuel ,couple of RA's and so it goes on.
again on departure, minimum 1hour delay!

good luck if you got to go there!

regards

captain cumulonimbus
15th Oct 2005, 11:48
you should try maputo! dogs,kids playing soccer on the rwy...insane!

broadreach
15th Oct 2005, 23:42
EMB170,
Sounds as if "Eu era feliz e não sabia..." :ooh:
cheers,
broadreach

African Tech Rep
17th Oct 2005, 09:06
Interesting bit from http://flysouth.co.za/news/2005-10-14/Air%20Sahara%20737%20Free%20At%20Last.shtml

“The airline will have to explain why the pilot did not have a valid identity card and also show the necessary clearances from the Home Ministry because of his foreign origin, the official said.”

OK – I know an ID card doesn’t matter when it comes to actually landing – but having just had the fun of supervising an owners inspection on a different Indian airline they seemed quite particular about who gets an ID and for how long.

The pilot could be in more trouble due to a lack of ID than for needing the runway to be a bit longer.

Arkroyal
17th Oct 2005, 09:26
It was a command training flight for an Indian captain and a Bolivian or Russian instructor on the right seat. Anyone got a copy of the result?!;)

Joe le Taxi
17th Oct 2005, 09:46
EMB 170 - Even if they had published a notam to that effect, you would have done well to spot it. Delhi's notams really are ridiculous with pages and pages about some trivial amendment to a SID (which is already incorporated on the plates) and important one liners are hidden amongst them. The natural temptation is to just skim through the lot, but knowing that anything can and does happen at this place, I have to spend many extra minutes reading this endless verbiage, when I could be looking after other important tasks.

But even when you've waded your way through this lot, they'll announce that they're going to do something in the next few minutes thats not on your notams anyway, like oh, er something trifling like shut the runway for works. You point out that that's not on the notams and they reply that they've just produced a new notam to that effect.

You can't win!

Airbubba
17th Oct 2005, 10:12
>>Delhi's notams really are ridiculous with pages and pages about some trivial amendment to a SID (which is already incorporated on the plates) and important one liners are hidden amongst them.<<

BOM's are the same, kinda like the UK or Japanese notams, page after page of trivia. We've made great strides in CRM (or whatever it is called this year) but paperwork is still largely based on 1930's teletype formats i.e. all caps, cryptic weather codes, few or no decimals in numbers etc. I know I've made mistakes over the years from trying to read all this nonsense.

I am aware of the nautical tradition of mystifying procedures so only the officers can drive the ship but it is surely time to make our flight papers more human readable.

rsoman
17th Oct 2005, 17:06
THe stupid media is going overboard with this ID stuff. I dont think whethrr anyone bothered to check if the airline had indeed processed the papers and sent ito the concerned govt official and if the delay was for some reason like the "laminating machine " was out of order for one week or some such stuff!

No unbeleivable - it was reported recently that one of India's busiest passport office is going slow on issuing passports because only very new "passport boooklets" has reached the concerned office in the past few months!