PDA

View Full Version : Monarch emr landing at AGP

readywhenreaching
12th Oct 2005, 15:39
german newstickers reported that a british holiday Airbus landed at Malaga (AGP) with "engine on fire", earler today.

As long as I couldn t verify, I believe this is the "standard exaggeration" in media coverage.

Anyone heard of it can shed light ?

Flight was AGP - MAN.

no engl. link yet
http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/0,1518,379426,00.html

Mr @ Spotty M
12th Oct 2005, 16:00
Aircraft was a B757, understand a surge, with a result of high temp,so engine shut down by crew.
Engine change required.

repulo
12th Oct 2005, 16:30
Just got back from AGP, after diversion to GRX due to fog this morning. Lot of aircraft have diverted, so maybe some missunderstanding being the case as well.

clearfortheoption
12th Oct 2005, 18:15
All I know is that aircraft had an engine fire after take off,tower and other aircraft on the ground reported visual with the fire from one of the engines.

Airport was closed for about 20 mins.

Aircraft took off from Rwy 14 and landed back on 32 with one engine shutt down.

Aircraft was indeed a B757 which I saw landing safely.

No smoke or indeed fire was visible after landing .Aircraft taxied to stand followed by fire services but no evacuation was needed.

We just started our engines when all of this was taking place and we were advised of the emergency situation by ground.

Very well done to the crew involved! Nice landing as well as commented by tower!

CFTO

speedbird2727
13th Oct 2005, 08:39
Aircraft was G-MONC, 219 pax layout.

BOTFOJ
13th Oct 2005, 09:06
two 757 engine incidents in a few days (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=193335)

EGGW
13th Oct 2005, 09:12
BOTFOJ So whats your point??? Sh*t happens, and all handled by the look of things in an exemplary way by the crews concerned.

Engine surges happen, usually as a result of a fault in the bleed system, where not enough air is removed from the compressor, leading to basically a backfire. This is the "flames" that may have been seen.

EGGW.

EI-CGO
13th Oct 2005, 09:39
By coincidence a friend of mine not in Aviation was right underneath the aircraft (they had stopped to adjust the seats in the hire car) and he said it was one of the most frightening things he has ever seen, it was like the engine exploded, the bang was extremely loud and then the engine went on fire, however he did say that it landed as tho nothing was out of the ordinary.

Seems like a very professional job by the crew.

Bearcat
13th Oct 2005, 09:59
Glad to see they landed on 32....big picture stuff as against draggin it over the hills back for 14. WELL DONE CREW.

earnest
13th Oct 2005, 14:40
Bearcat, would you accuse crew of not appreciating the "big picture" if they chose to "drag it" over the hills to RW14, having looked even further ahead to the possibility of a single-engined missed approach? This is easier on RW14 than RW32 for those not familiar with AGP.

unwiseowl
13th Oct 2005, 14:58
Trial by armchair pundits again!

LGS6753
13th Oct 2005, 16:43
Replacement engine being sent out from Luton this evening.

IB4138
14th Oct 2005, 11:34
Unfortunately there is a load of carp printed about this incident in two english language, free papers, published today, here on the Costa del Sol.

"everyone was panicking".." I got my life jacket out".." people were trying to call their families on their mobile phones, but they didn't work".."people got very nervous" ......."it would terrify me to get on a plane again. I'm going back to Manchester on the train"are just some of the sensationalised quotes used.

Shame on the two editors concerned for allowing these stories to be printed.

It would serve them right if Monarch pulled their advertising from these two papers.

wingview
14th Oct 2005, 15:38
Unfortunately there is a load of carp printed about this incident in two english language, free papers, published today, here on the Costa del Sol.
Yeah, what's new?:ugh:

LTNman
14th Oct 2005, 20:20
A Kallita Air 747 flew in from JFK to pick up and a spare engine from LTN yesterday according to someone in the know.

EGCC
14th Oct 2005, 20:41
New engine fitted and G-MONC is flying back empty to MAN tonight.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
14th Oct 2005, 22:46
a 747 for a 757 engine?

Jees, that's an overkill. The 747 has routed off to the middle east now, so I guess it was kind of on it's way anyway.

I had a feeling that you could squeeze an RB211-535 on an Antonov 12

Anyone know for sure? That would easily have been cheaper than a 747, so maybe it doesn't.

Wonder what's happening to the sick engine?

tangocharlie
15th Oct 2005, 06:42
Lack of big aircraft around at the moment. Lot are doing relief work to Pakistan.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
15th Oct 2005, 14:36
I realise.

But I'm sure there are quite a few An-12s knocking around.

B727
17th Oct 2005, 22:25
Don't forget Air Contractors Hercules, just the job for engine's or other outsize moves.... and EU registered, seems are a rare thing in outsize lift these days.

Don't Jerk it Herk it...
B727