PDA

View Full Version : Does a 'VPI' - type club exist for ISTAR?

SIT head
12th Oct 2005, 12:56
The VP International Club was formed to 'foster goodwill and fellowship through the promotion of understanding and recognition of Maritime Patrol operations and their impact on military aviation.' To join required the logging of at least 1500 hrs on maritime aircraft. The VPI club has an excellent & well deserved reputation around the world for doing exactly as it says on the tin - I'm sure many of you would agree with that. So...

Well, it's about 18 years since I did any of that Nimrod stuff (good thing many would say!) and I was wondering if anyone knows of (or would be interested in starting up), a similar Club for ISTAR flyers? If such a club exists, any details about it would be very much appreciated. If it doesn't, well, I'll gauge the amount of replies as an indicator of whether or not it would be something that should/could be started. I for one reckon that a fellowship, modelled on the success of VPI and run concurrently for ISTAR crews would be a very good thing. Over to you.

Phoney Tony
12th Oct 2005, 16:32
Not aware of an ISTAR organisation along the lines of VPI.

Heard a rumour that VPI were considering opening their horizons to include ISR assets.

The Association of Old Crows is an EW centric organisation which attracts some ISTAR chap.

Which platforms would you include?:

Nimrods
E3D (All flyers?)
ASTOR - (If it ever delivers anything)
PR 9
UAVs - Crews do not buy much beer

There are a wealth of land and maritime based capabilities which I assume you would not wish to include.

A good idea. We have plenty of purely 'Work' related ISTAR forums but non with the same fellowship aims as VPI.

An ISTAR bar at Waddo? for all ranks from all platforms.

What ever next...joint training, combined ops.

Count me in!!!

circle kay
12th Oct 2005, 19:37
SIT,
As we are all ISTAR assets together now, why don't you get on to VPI HQ and suggest that it's opened up to all ISTAR crew members. As can be seen VPI history (http://www.vpinternational.ca/HISTORY/INDEX.HTM) it's changed identity quite a few times in the past. On a related topic VPI's big do next year (apart from Fincastle) is, for the first time outside Canada see here Kinloss VPI (http://www.vpinternational.co.uk/)

SIT head
13th Oct 2005, 15:47
PT & CK

Thanks for the ideas. Don't know about you, but if VPI would open up to ISTAR, that'd be a very bold move and I'd certainly welcome it - I could qualify twice then! I'll investigate and post what I find out. As for 'letting in' every flying brevet/badge - well, not that it's up to me, but if I wanted to kick-start the banter, I'd say no way! Personally though, I don't see this as a secret squirrel association and if someone has done the hours - he/she should be just as entitiled as anyone else who earned and was awarded a real brevet ;) . Cue banter... One.... two .... three .... four.... too late!!!

Besides, I even know one or two of those FC types that dont eat their young or smell of urine, so they're not all bad - honest.

sit head