PDA

View Full Version : Number of hovering Harrier pilots ?

Argonautical
12th Oct 2005, 12:40
On 5th Gear (Channel 5) the other night, they had a presenter flying a RN Harrier and a pilot driving a GT40. However something the presenter said I found amazing. After hovering the aeroplane, he said only 194 pilots had hovered a Harrier while flying solo. Surely that can't be right? I think he even quantified it by saying more people have flown in space. Was he talking only about the RN? Is hovering not taught to all Harrier pilots in the RAF? Did I fall asleep and dream it?

southside
12th Oct 2005, 13:20
Nope, they were exactly right. Those are the chosen few. Only 194 of the finest. Good prog though wasn't it.

Flap62
12th Oct 2005, 13:35
Just been looking at my list of personnel for the RAF OCU. Got bored and stopped counting when I got to 200.

caspertheghost
12th Oct 2005, 13:36
Hovering is not taught to pilots in the RAF on account of it being too dangerous. Only those brave Royal Navy pilots are taught to hover the Harrier.

Tamaze Man
12th Oct 2005, 13:42
Nor is it obviously taught to the USMC, Spanish Armada, Italian Navy or the Indian Navy!

methinks he is talking about FAA only.......

SirToppamHat
12th Oct 2005, 13:50
A useful skill to avoid the Boss?

TEdited to say: the following thread mentioned someone high up on an RAF Station driving at speed down the runway in an Aston Martin. Unfortunately, the runway was active at the time with a cal flight on short-finals. The thread reported the incident as recent, but it was recently deleted in its entirety.

Aston Martin Short Finals? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=193811)

STH

Climebear
12th Oct 2005, 13:51
Does this figure include USMC, Spanish, Italian and Indian pilots?

Edited:

Sorry Tamaze Man - that will teach me to get distracted while typing.

SSSETOWTF
12th Oct 2005, 15:41
This has to be a wind-up, surely?

'Solo hovering' is about trip 13 of the RAF OCU. That'll be the OCU that's been running for 40-odd years, churning out an average 10 guys a year - ish.

The USMC Replenishment Air Group has been up and running about the same length of time and must churn out another 40 -50 pilots a year, all of whom 'solo hover' to get aboard their boats, or they go for a swim.

I think the 194 figure must refer to the number of RN SHar guys who still can't get over the fact the GR7/9 was chosen over their platform to stay in service. Or maybe the number of SHar guys who will claim to have single-handedly won the Falklands.

Regards,
Single Seat, Single Engine, The Only Way To Fly

Splash Coxswain
12th Oct 2005, 15:53
Hang on, Hang on, Hang on!

Did someone mention Channel 5? Yes! In that case it was obviously bollox!

Now the Aston Martin story intrigues me and is far more worthy of comment!

For charity (bets were taken) in the late 80s, we raced a Tornado against the Sqn Cdr's Ferrari at Bruggen from brakes off to the 1000ft (in) board. The Tornado was held on the ground until it passed the 'finishing line' and the Ferrari had it won hands down until theTornado sped past just short of the line and got airborne once it had won.

Splash

Always_broken_in_wilts
12th Oct 2005, 16:52
Odiham, early 90's, Sgt's mess late Friday night with more than a lot of beer consumed:ok:

Two fellow crewman in a penis envy contest were arguing as to who had the fastest car, one a large calibre Rover and the other a Colt Starion. After much banter it was decided the only way to find out whose was quickest was to find a nice long straight road (read Odihams main runway):E and give it what for. This proved inconclusive as neither car could edge the other and sufficient sobriety had prevailed.

Back to the mess for more beer and more banter. As the withcing hour approached two now completely drunken crewman decided that a re run was required however both had failed to realise the state they were in. Flashing down the runway looking across at each other neither realised the proximity of the rapidly appraoching piano keys. Realisation settles in both cars brake rapidly but it's too late. The Starion manages to grind to a halt embedded in the barbed wire perimeter fence but the Rovers inertia and crap brakes see it smash through the afore mentioned fence, hit a slight upslope, get airborne, sail across the main Odiham to Alton road and bury itself in mud at the base of the approach lights in the field opposite.

The Starion driver ended up with a 12 month ban for going to the Rover drivers aid and getting caught on the main road. The Rover driver escaped a ban as he was never actually on the public highway. The Starion required a paintjob whilst the Rover fetched 50 quid from a scrap dealer, and both got dicked a months pay by a very stern Staish.

Cracking night out Grommet!

All spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

mystic_meg
12th Oct 2005, 18:31
How do you distinguish a hovering Harrier pilot from a group of pilots?

You don't - he'll soon tell you himself..:ok:

West Coast
12th Oct 2005, 18:51
Even better, waht does a Harrier pilot use for birth control?

His personality.

Yes, USMC Harriers hover. Usually while I was on the phone or trying to pick up the sports scores on the tube. Need to put mufflers on those things.

HOODED
12th Oct 2005, 20:53
West Coast, to be pc you need to include "her personality" we happen to have some lady hoverers over here at the moment.

The Helpful Stacker
12th Oct 2005, 21:02
West Coast, to be pc you need to include "her personality" we happen to have some lady hoverers over here at the moment.

Eh?

Do they let women fly single seat aircraft? I thought they were only allowed to fly in aircraft with at least one other seat so that a man can keep an eye on them.

;)

Stitchbitch
12th Oct 2005, 23:01
Ohhh Mitch is gonna get you...:D

Barn Doors
12th Oct 2005, 23:45
From what I've seen, the FA2 lads are a bit 'adrift' without their nozzle-nudge comfort blanket in the GR7!

Point is, anyone who flies a Harrier can hover (well, there may have been one who didn't really like it - weirdo!)

I say let the RN have their moment of glory while they still fly the mighty FA2. They'll be on Blue Peter, Richard and Judy and all sorts of programmes next. Good to see they picked a nice day to do the filming at Yeovs though!!

BD

Onan the Clumsy
13th Oct 2005, 00:03
They don't teach it? :confused: then how do they get all the crumbs up off the carpet?

Ohhh *hovering* sorry

teeteringhead
13th Oct 2005, 07:21
hit a slight upslope, get airborne, sail across the main Odiham to Alton road and bury itself in mud at the base of the approach lights in the field opposite. ...hmmmmm, ISTR a Hunter (Hawker not Hillman) doing something similar in the early 70s...

... made even better by the fact that the pilot was only there to get a b*ll*cking from AOC 38 Gp ......;)

[thread creep warning light flickering amber ....]

Growbag
14th Oct 2005, 10:10
BD,
You should see the RAF pilots around the ship first before you make those kind of allegations! 3 anchor inspections and one nearly powerbouncing off it, and that was from the 'supposed' experienced operators!:uhoh:

caspertheghost
15th Oct 2005, 22:17
Of course, Growbag, the RN pilots are absolute gods and get it right every time!
Maybe we could hijack this thread and turn it into another RN/RAF slagging match...:yuk: