PDA

View Full Version : tail rotor construction

dead reckoning
12th Oct 2005, 05:19
I guess its all about weight but can anyone tell me why R22 tail rotor blades don't have a main spar.
Is this common in tail rotor construction.
I believe there have been 3 accidents in the last couple of years here in Aus that have been caused by wedge tailed eagles attacking the tail rotors.
It sure would be nice to have a rotor that could handle a bit of battle damage.

dead reckoning

Rocket2
12th Oct 2005, 09:48
"why R22 tail rotor blades don't have a main spar. Is this common in tail rotor construction?"

DR - whilst not speaking for all TRB's, the ones we work have spars, but this can be misleading as they usually form the leading edge and may be a hollow forging (as indeed they do on a lot of Main Rotor Blades), the rest is just thin metal or composite to form the shape. The one exeception is the S76 TRB that has a removable spar onto which the paddles are bolted. I cannot speak for the Robbo blades (main or tail) as there are no approved repair schemes for them (no value either!) and we don't see them.
PM me if you want more info.
R2

NickLappos
12th Oct 2005, 12:15
Strength requirements determine if a bird strike is survivable, and regulations do not require that of part 27 Normal Catagory Rotorcraft, such as the entire light helicopter family. New transports require bird strike immunity, but older designs are still grandfathered to avoid the requirement.

The only bird strike proven helos that I know of are the two newest ones, the S-92 and the AB-139.

Skeeter Pilot
12th Oct 2005, 19:25
My T/R/B's are Birch, Spruce and Balsa (no metal).... hope I don't meet any of those wedge tailed eagles.:D