PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST

Pages : [1] 2

Kestrel_909
11th Oct 2005, 16:57
Since NI Happenings has been locked, I assume keep both BFS and BHD under the one title?

Flybe announced BHD-MAN 3x daily from January, from £21.99 one way. How, if at all, will it affect their current BHD-LPL route and BACX BHD-MAN?:confused:

RT_060590
11th Oct 2005, 20:41
Beat me to it Kestrel! I think we'll be saying bye to BA completely from Belfast very soon....
Heard over in the Manchester forum that Flybe might be pulling the LPL anyway.

VHF FLYER
11th Oct 2005, 22:34
Two ways of looking at this:
1. Great news that BA will finally get their cumuppance at BHD for charging what are extortionate fares on the MAN route. I was quoted £317 just recently !!! No - not a typo.

2. BA and BMi offer the only two hubbing possibilities from Northern Ireland - BA through their own network at MAN and BMi through LHR - a vastly superior product even though it is Heathrow. I am surprised when I have flown with BA just how many people I sit next to who are actually transferring at MAN.
If / when BA go, this will mean a single offering only for NI travellers not doing a point to point ie there will be no choice but to change planes at LHR.
Additionally because of this hubbing arrangement, BA are able to sustain 6 MAN flights a day - FlyBe appear to be offering a maximum of 4 flights a day. So therefore less choice for NI passengers and less choice of flight times too.

On balance though I'm delighted as a selfish Manchester originating passenger, not sure I'd be quite so keen if I was Belfast originating.

carlos vandango
12th Oct 2005, 00:37
£21.99 single...its cheaper with Baby! £35 return.

VHF FLYER
12th Oct 2005, 05:37
Tried Baby too but as you know BFS is in Antrim and BHD is in Belfast.
If you're visiting for the day on business the half hour spent either end of the journey in a taxi eats into it. Plus earlier than usual check in closing time due to huge walk from check in to plane. BFS somehow depresses me.
BHD on the other hand is a smashing little airport - one of my favourites anywhere.

tallseabird
12th Oct 2005, 07:57
Do BA (and Virgin) not offer connection deals through LGW using Flybe, they could do the same through MAN?

hushkit77
12th Oct 2005, 09:35
I'd be very surprised if Flybe pulled the LPL as the loads are generally very good, although its the handling at LPL that causes the main problems.....

spanishflea
12th Oct 2005, 09:50
Agreed VHF Flyer. 5 minutes from office to check in just cant be beat really. Speaking to my fellow passengers into and out of BHD they all feel the same.

ALLMCC
12th Oct 2005, 10:35
An article appears in this morning's News Letter stating that, at long last, the archaic passenger no cap at BHD is to be removed. An official announcement is expected shortly.

A victory for common sense IMHO and will permit expansion to proceed.

carlos vandango
12th Oct 2005, 10:39
Good idea, they need to expand BHD...BFS is virtually full these days!

FourTrails
15th Oct 2005, 18:36
"HARP Welcome to Belfast"

Well what do we think of the new sign our pax see arriving into BFS. Personally is dont think it is appropriate (getting too old maybe), and several passengers have made negative comments towards it.....

....However, maybe a six pack delivered to stand at the end of each duty would change my view point!

with alacrity
16th Oct 2005, 11:23
" HARP Welcome to Belfast"
IMHO a bit on the tacky side especially as I have to spend at least half my working duty looking in the general direction of the greeting.
I also think that Harp is the worst beer in Northern Ireland.

:yuk:

ALLMCC
17th Oct 2005, 16:14
Flybe has been voted "best low fares airline in N Ireland" at the NI Travel News awards beating off stiff competition from Easyjet, Jet 2 and Bmi baby - see airline website for full story.

eastern wiseguy
17th Oct 2005, 20:36
Seems like a travel agency comission paying airline love in ....guess they got it because EZY and JET2 use the web and savings are passed on to the punter!.

How many FlyBe pilots have resigned THIS week?

BFS/BHD
17th Oct 2005, 21:00
Easyjet won 'Best Travel Industry Internet Booking System'

Full list of the awards can be found here:

http://www.nitravelnews.com/news-stories/breaking-news/northern-ireland-travel-and-tourism-awards-2005.php

Tower Ranger
18th Oct 2005, 08:16
With Alacrity
I didn`t realise that you had such a clear view of the terminal from the rest room!!! Mine`s a pint when you`re ready!

ALLMCC
18th Oct 2005, 10:30
Flybe BHD - NWI

Announced today, route being scrapped from 08 January due to disappointing loads - interestingly BHD - MAN commences the following day.

with alacrity
18th Oct 2005, 11:24
Tower Ranger,

Don't see much of the rest room these days, far too busy operationally and removing cancelled Flybe flights from the strip bays:E

No problem with the pint providing it isn't Harp:yuk:

tallseabird
21st Oct 2005, 13:00
Due to changes in the business at Belfast AIRPORT there appears to be a new handling agent coming to the AIRPORT, the existing 3 plus Menzies, does anyone have any idea when this is going to happen?

Tower Ranger
21st Oct 2005, 15:26
By Belfast I take it that you you mean Aldergrove as Menzies have been at Belfast City for a few years now. You are correct that Menzies will be starting at Aldergrove in the not too distant future, watch the Telegraph.

tallseabird
22nd Oct 2005, 16:27
By Telegraph I take it that you mean the Belfast Telegraph? (sorry couldn't resist).

Saying that Menzies are at the city airport whilst correct needs to be clarified, they have a cargo office their. Whilst they have been a sitting tenant for some time, when the airport authority outsourced aircraft handling they didn't go with Menzies but introduced a new contender (to them) Aviance, Menzies appear to be be very keen to capitalise on any opportunity available but didn't on this occasion.

FourTrails
23rd Oct 2005, 15:59
Menzies to provide handling service for easyJet commencing 0001hrs 1st Feb 06.

Kestrel_909
23rd Oct 2005, 17:45
So those cracks showing with Aviance mentioned on another thread turned into a giant valley?

Kestrel_909
24th Oct 2005, 22:12
Teleticket selling tickets for TFS flights all winter, commencing 23 December, operated by Iberworld.

Tower Ranger
25th Oct 2005, 10:19
Tallseabird, nice one!!

When the City outsourced handling they did go to Menzies and if memory serves even had a couple of takeover dates but in the end a satisfactory deal just couldn`t be done so Aviance stepped in and took it over.

Kestrel

I don`t think the loss of contract to Menzies Big Orange Handling company had as much to do with Aviance`s performance as it did with the fact that easy hold a 24% stake in that company. Anyone on here who has any of the inside info of the on time performance stats for the easy bases will know just how high up the table the Belfast team has consistantly been.

As always its just my opinion and I stand to be corrected.

omoko joe
25th Oct 2005, 13:21
you're way, way off the mark there Tower Ranger. Word on the street is that Aviance Management cocked up the Orange contract and the OTP big style. This resulted in an ultimatum which they ignored and consequently got binned.

tallseabird
25th Oct 2005, 13:31
I thought the Easyjet/Menzies tie-up only applied to LTN?

The funny thing is that Easyjet brought Aviance(Reed Aviation) to BFS in the first place, who is it going to be in 7-8 years time? Surely it is better to work with your suppliers than change them, were Aviance irretrievable?

BELHold
25th Oct 2005, 15:40
Just my tuppence worth....Aviance did in fact knock their socks off to try and reverse what most consider to be beyond recovery, in fact they are still doing it now despite knowing that EZY have gone.

A lot of good people with years of experience employed by Aviance at BFS...lets hope they have enough to keep going despite this significant loss, word is WW plan on increasing ops and the BD rumour is still circulating.

orangetree
26th Oct 2005, 02:02
the boys in BFS have indicated that it the problems with Aviance were more at the top than with those on the ramp, although it took them a long time to get close to a quick turnaround on the airbus! If anything, Easyjet will be expanding in NI. Menzies will need staff..probably more than Aviance too. Same jobs, different uniform.

with alacrity
26th Oct 2005, 13:46
Following the recent media hype about the removal of the cap on passenger numbers at Belfast City Airport it seems to be buck passing time.

Details at,

www.nics.gov.uk/press/env/051025c-env.htm

eastern wiseguy
26th Oct 2005, 19:15
word is WW plan on increasing ops and the BD rumour is still circulating

so despite Allmcc's firm convictions Baby are staying put??:ok: What news of Bmi operating again from BFS?

Tower Ranger
28th Oct 2005, 09:15
OJ
I don`t believe that I`m too far off the centreline in what I`ve said. Sure, the guys at the top may have taken their eye off the ball for a while but the people doing the work hadn`t. It seems to me that the decision to change handling agent was all but taken by ej before they served the improvement notice and this was just a ploy to ensure the summer period got as much attention as possible.
If a new handling agent, supported by the customer and (apparently) the airport, want to come in and operate at a loss how can any other company compete.
It would appear that some within ej and Bial thought they`d just get in Menzies and wipe out Aviance. I for one hope Aviance can regroup and prove them wrong as alot of good people have put in alot of hard work at Aldergrove from the early days of Reed Aviation to present.

orangetree
28th Oct 2005, 11:44
Can't agree with that TR. During the summer there were regular instances where I sat on a bus at BFS and the hold doors were not even opened until we had been on the ground for 20mins. Hence poor OTP. The excuse was lack of staff..for that you can blame management. An improvement notice was served to stimulate an improvement. They aren't issued without very good reason. At the time the BFS stats were among the worst in the Orange network. Clearly there wasn't enough improvement.
In any case Aviance aren't going anywhere..they still have other contracts at BFS. Perhaps if they had paid a little more attention to their biggest one, this could've been avoided. Like I said before- Menzies=same jobs, different uniform and the Aviance top brass can now devote all their time to Bmibaby and alike.

tallseabird
28th Oct 2005, 12:23
Thats very harsh, as a traveller my experiences of Easyjet at BFS are just fine, the communal check-in was a shock when I first saw it, but it has worked OK.

You can't lump all the Aviance top brass together, as with anything there is good and there is (was) bad.

eastern wiseguy
28th Oct 2005, 23:32
Agree with Orangetree. There were days during the summer when we in ATC had to watch whilst aircraft literally backed up along taxiways...Hope none of those delays ever found their way to be attributable to NATS !! :ok:

Fergie 70
29th Oct 2005, 16:59
Thought for debate.
Do Easy and Low Cost Carriers not carry some responsibility in forcing handling rates down to a point where it is almost impossible for Handling Agents to perform (especially 20 min t/rs)
and then they themselves operate to a standard where they can return some small profit and be able to invest in equipment and pay their staff a competitive wage.
Also do they pay good attention to scheduling when increasing schedules? if not they they can be guilty of turning the screw on on - time performance for the same rates whilst overburdening the handling agent who either increases staff to cope (and therefore costs) or simply gets to the point where ground handling problems become the norm and impossible to avoid and then the agent gets it in the neck.

Kestrel_909
3rd Nov 2005, 14:47
Tomorrow's first flight to Blackpool with Jet2 from BFS sold out last month, according to PM.

More here
http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news.asp?id=234

ALLMCC
3rd Nov 2005, 16:20
It's a pity PM doesn't seem to be able to count - according to my reckoning Jet 2 operate 5 not 6 routes from BFS including Blackpool. In any event, filling the first flight wouldn't have been difficult as the route has been on sale for a few weeks at low introductory fares.

The test will be whether it is sustainable over the winter months.

Kestrel_909
3rd Nov 2005, 17:39
ALLMCC,
I was thinking the same, but since Murcia has been announced for sometime but not actually began yet. :confused:

Prague, Barcelona, Bournemouth, Leeds, Murcia and now Blackpool.

ALLMCC
4th Nov 2005, 08:16
Kestrel, still only 5 - Bournemouth has stopped and has completely disappeared from their route map - will be interesting to see if it returns next year.

mysecretsmile
10th Nov 2005, 11:13
Anyone got further insight as to what is going on with Flybe at BHD ?

Seems to be 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

They announced the new Manchester route and the following day announced they were quitting the Norwich route. Liverpool is down to 2 a day and Bristol & Newcastle are now down to 1 day.

Are they struggling with loads ? I thought Liverpool was going well - surely handling can't be the only reason ? Or are EZY hammering them with their prices from BFS?

ALLMCC
10th Nov 2005, 12:31
A perfect demonstration of the vast over capacity there is on some routes out of BFS & BHD. When BE start MAN in January, there will be three carriers battling for custom on this route, BE/BA from BHD & WW from BFS.

Even allowing for the distinct possibility of a BA withdrawal, is there really a demand for two low cost airlines on this route?

As far as LPL is concerned, the reduction may be simply down to a shortage of aircraft to operate the MAN.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
10th Nov 2005, 13:00
When I used to work in the travel industry
Manchester to Belfast was behind London our best seller with 10-15 pax per day on the route most of the year mainly with BA
I think most would be willing to transfer to FlyBe as the flight is to BHD which is near most of our offices out in Belfast therefore
at a guess I would say BA/Citiexpress is going to be the big loser

G-I-B

spanishflea
10th Nov 2005, 15:32
G-IB - The BA flight is to BHD too though?

tallseabird
11th Nov 2005, 08:15
A classic "our offices out in Belfast"

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
11th Nov 2005, 08:38
That is because the company I worked for is a Manchester company with a very strong Northern Ireland presence
And yes I know BA fly to BHD and so will Flybe and as I said before they will wipe the floor with Citiexpress and BMI Baby is a different market

G-I-B

eastern wiseguy
11th Nov 2005, 16:18
Liverpool is down to 2 a day and Bristol & Newcastle are now down to 1 day.

No surprise that these are routes on which they go head to head with RELIABLE jet equipment........diversion back to bhd anyone?

RT_060590
25th Nov 2005, 17:27
RIP George Best:(

LBIA
5th Dec 2005, 11:32
New Route for Jet2

Jet2 have launched a new route from its belfast international Airport base. As of May 25th 2006 they will be operating a once weekly Pisa (Florence) Saturday departure.

BELFAST - PISA
LS319 16:25 - 20:05
PIS - BELFAST
LS320 20:35 - 22:50

BFS/BHD
2nd Feb 2006, 09:12
BACON to launch BHD-BHX 4x daily with RJ100s and E145s. :ok:

Kestrel_909
5th Feb 2006, 16:39
How is the easyJet finding their new handling agent? I believe they started this month?

richardnei
14th Feb 2006, 10:25
New Jet2 route from BFS to TFS starting on 05 October 06.

Operating 2 times a week with a B757.

BFS-TFS
13:45 - 18:00 ---T--S

TFS-BFS
08:00 - 12:15 ---T--S

Good news for BFS and look forward to seeing the Jet2 757s.

BFS/BHD
14th Feb 2006, 11:05
Great news. Good to see Jet2 expanding from BFS.:ok:

BFS/BHD
14th Feb 2006, 11:13
The Blackpool service will also become daily in the summer.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=172701014&p=y7z7xy7zx

CCR
14th Feb 2006, 13:15
I noticed the article is inaccurate. Its not the first scheduled service from Ireland to Tenerife. Aer Lingus are launching a scheduled service from Cork to Tenerife this July.

14th Feb 2006, 13:22
I noticed the article is inaccurate. Its not the first scheduled service from Ireland to Tenerife. Aer Lingus are launching a scheduled service from Cork to Tenerife this July.
I think it's playing liberties with the term Low Cost to get a bit of extra publicity. EI have operated to Tenerife from Dublin since 2003.

toledoashley
14th Feb 2006, 13:38
Well isnt Aer Lingus low-cost?

Kestrel_909
14th Feb 2006, 14:47
Good news about TFS, be nice seeing shiny 757s :D

Notice it departs TFS at 0800, overnighting in TFS the previous night or an early start to get down to TFS for 7am and depart again?

eastern wiseguy
14th Feb 2006, 15:29
Well I would argue that this is the first low cost(to TFS) from NORTHERN IRELAND a different political animal from Ireland altogether. Anyways success to them!!

FLY BFS:ok: :ok: :ok:

Kestrel_909
16th Mar 2006, 15:16
Air Berlin are starting BHD-STN, twice daily, once Sat/Sun, from 2nd May.

http://www.airberlin.com/site/index.php?LANG=eng

BFS/BHD
20th Mar 2006, 20:38
Anyone know if there are any new routes in the pipeline for BFS?

EZS are taking over the Geneva route, so you would think this would make space for the 737 to another route. Any ideas?

mysecretsmile
21st Mar 2006, 08:28
Just hot of the press this morning...

Belfast City Airport to be named after George Best - BBC Website

Belfast City Airport is to be renamed in honour of George Best, it has been announced.
A ceremony at the east Belfast airport is planned for 22 May, with the new signage being unveiled on what would have been his 60th birthday.

The decision to rename it George Best Airport followed meetings with his father, Dickie, and close relatives.

The Manchester United and Northern Ireland legend died last November after suffering organ failure.

Airport chief executive Brian Ambrose said: "We believe that renaming the airport after George is a fitting and permanent tribute to his footballing brilliance."

A Best family spokesman said they were delighted at the gesture.

George's father Dickie Best unveiled a plane bearing his son's image
"This is a highly visible and lasting memorial to George that we hope will please many people in Northern Ireland."

It is estimated that 2.2 million passengers use the airport each year.

Since his death, there has been a wide-ranging debate on how to commemorate Best in his home city, with proposals considered including a statue of Best outside Belfast City Hall.

Earlier this year, snooker star Alex Higgins launched a campaign to call a referendum to remove the letters "lfa" from Belfast and rename it "Best" city. He has since dropped this plan.

Last week, airline Flybe named one of its aircraft in honour of George Best.

The aircraft has a picture of him in his Manchester United strip and will fly between Belfast and Manchester.

The renaming move follows a similar decision to rename Liverpool Airport after one of the city's most famous sons, John Lennon, in 2002.

richardnei
21st Mar 2006, 10:21
Good to here that BHD will be named after George Best. I'll look forward to seeing her name on the front of the terminal when a fly out.

With Regards Easjet at BFS. Both the GVA and SXF routes will nolonger be operated by BFS based A/C or crew. They will be operated by A319s from their SXF and GVA bases. This will free up some time for BFS 737s to increase frequency on the AGP/ALC/PMI/FAO routes for the summer.

I haven't heard anything about new easyjet routes for a while. It seems that Jet2 are doing all the Expansion at BFS at the moment.

Richard

Aeronut
21st Mar 2006, 12:40
Lets name an airport after a piss-head :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4828114.stm

I thought Liverpool John Lennon was daft enough but this is something else!:sad:

FlyingV
21st Mar 2006, 12:45
Lets name an airport after a piss-head :rolleyes:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4828114.stm
I thought Liverpool John Lennon was daft enough but this is something else!:sad:

I'm sure BHD management will be delighted with the title "Best City Airport"

TwinAisle
21st Mar 2006, 13:05
You can interline onwards from STN with Air Berlin thus opening up the whole network to NI

Aside from the thought that taking an Air Berlin service to catch an Air Berlin service isn't actually interlining, I would be very careful about this. I can't make their website show me any connecting services, which makes me think that they are purely point-to-point; what that means in practice is that if you take a flight to STN to catch another, and the first flight runs late enough for you to miss the second, that's your problem, not Air Berlin's.

On a different note - George Best Airport? Daft - what airports are better off doing is telling people who don't know where they are, where they are. Cf, EMA becoming Nottingham East Midlands, since large chunks of Europe don't know where the East Midlands are - at least they can do a search in an atlas for Nottingham. What hope have they got with George Best Airport??

San Expiry
21st Mar 2006, 13:28
An aircraft fair enough but an airport? Isn't there some kind of massive genetic connection between Liverpool and Belfast to encourage such similar disjointed though processes in airport naming?:=

pamann
21st Mar 2006, 13:48
TwinAisle
I can't make their website show me any connecting services, which makes me think that they are purely point-to-point; what that means in practice is that if you take a flight to STN to catch another, and the first flight runs late enough for you to miss the second, that's your problem, not Air Berlin's.

Infact they do thru check you via STN as they do with their services from Glasgow & Manchester via STN. Any flight you book (say BHD-TXL) will operate via STN and clearly states on their website too. At Belfast your baggage will be checked thru to TXL and your boarding passes issued the whole way though to TXL as well.
They are using STN in the UK as a hub airport for feeder services just like they do in Germany and in PMI. You can also of course book just domestic sectors from STN to Manchester, Glasgow & Belfast. So no they are not just a point to point airline.

Hial Flyer
21st Mar 2006, 13:50
AB check your baggage through to your destination and the connecting flight awaits your arrival. Excellent airline. Used them several times from Glasgow. Been delayed a couple of times on the connecting flight but they have always kept the onwards aircraft at SS awaiting our arrival.

TwinAisle
21st Mar 2006, 13:53
Happy to stand corrected! Unusual for a low cost carrier to through check, but there you go - you live and learn.

Rampmole
21st Mar 2006, 13:56
ok so your not happy with airports being named after local legends, everyone is entitled to their opinion but i think the name calling is stretching it a bit to far......george best deserves his acolades he achieved things you or me are never going too a bit of respect for somebody who has died wouldnt go a miss..having lost a close relative who died because of the drink i feel a lot for besties family...these people take to the drink because of underlying problems that are only kept in the head of the drinker....its an illness!! i just hope the people you care about famous or not never have to resort to these measures or they would know what kind of treatment to accept from yourself........!!

bmibabyfc
21st Mar 2006, 14:06
bmibabyfc agrees with ramphole on that one- you got my support!

Aeronut
21st Mar 2006, 14:19
ok so your not happy with airports being named after local legends, everyone is entitled to their opinion but i think the name calling is stretching it a bit to far......george best deserves his acolades he achieved things you or me are never going too a bit of respect for somebody who has died wouldnt go a miss..having lost a close relative who died because of the drink i feel a lot for besties family...these people take to the drink because of underlying problems that are only kept in the head of the drinker....its an illness!! i just hope the people you care about famous or not never have to resort to these measures or they would know what kind of treatment to accept from yourself........!!
Its not the prinicpal of naming airports after locals that I object to, I think that it would be good if they were worthy people, thats all. There must be some people from these cities that would inspire and are worthy of being commemorated? What does Best inspire? Getting Sh!tfaced and wife beating?

I'm a football fan, but f*** the football. It meant nothing from the moment he first raised his hand to his wife.

Glorifying someone famous for...................err...................drinking and denying someone more worthy of a liver transplant and wife beating,

now thats foolish.

lowfaresbuster
21st Mar 2006, 14:56
I think it's great anyway!

Belfast City Airport renamed after favourite son
21 Mar 2006
Ferrovial-owned Belfast City Airport is to be renamed George Best Airport in a ceremony on 22nd May, which would have been the footballer’s 60th birthday.
In a statement the airport’s chief executive, Brian Ambrose, said: ‘In the days following George’s death the media reported a variety of possible memorials to him. We were contacted by the Best family, who indicated that in their opinion the most appropriate memorial to George was the re-naming of Belfast City Airport.

‘We believe that re-naming the airport after George is a fitting and permanent tribute to his footballing brilliance. With 2.2m passengers passing through the airport each year, this will act as a constant reminder of Belfast’s favourite son.’

Born in East Belfast, where the airport is located, Best was part of the team that helped Manchester United to League Championships in 1965 and 1967 and the European Cup in 1968, and he also won 37 caps for Northern Ireland. He died last November following a long battle with alcoholism.

Earlier this month, budget airline Flybe named one of its Q400 aircraft after him. The aircraft, which has an image of Best in his Man Utd strip next to the passenger door, operates between Belfast City and Manchester airports.

Rampmole
21st Mar 2006, 15:28
Best inspired a whole generation...and pretty much put Northern Ireland on the map....OK giving the mrs a slap is wrong.... I pretty much bet he would have been under the influence of the grog when that happened although this still aint an excuse for that kind of behavior....i dont condone that part of his life what so ever...but i do feel this was all part of his illness.....seeing the symptoms of depression and loneliness are very hard to spot, after he was given his 2nd chance at life i personally dont feel the support shown for him after he died was there at the time he most needed it resulting in his downfall once again and eventually his death....lets remember the best that let his feet do the talking... nobody is perfect lets remember that...the people of belfast should be proud today!!

Bang Or West
21st Mar 2006, 15:51
Mate of mine works for one of the big breweries in Belfast, and apparently one of the things they're actively looking at is a FREE BAR in "Belfast George City Best Harbour" Airport.

They've done their sums and apparently the publicity it would generate would be astronomical...you heard it here first!

ESCNI
21st Mar 2006, 19:38
:ooh: Oh, the irony.

:hmm: Will Liverpool Airport be opening a free shooting gallery as well?

cartmanfly
22nd Mar 2006, 00:07
Much as an expansion of EZY services to PMI,AGP,FAO,ALC would be welcomed, I wouldn't hold your breath. Replacing the BFS - GVA amd SXF services with A319's based out of town will not free up any local 737's for long enough to cover the above as the block times are significantly different. There do not seem to be any plans for a sixth 737 either, this side of the summer. This would leave W patterns the only options to increase such services possibly using buses from GLA or EDI while local 737's cover the domestics :uhoh:
Having said that, its all hearsay. Commercial probably havn't even thought about it yet. They may speed up a bit if the RYR 800's come to town.

trolleydolly737
5th Apr 2006, 18:55
Any news out there about this new airline that was supposed to be starting up out of NI to Europe? Seems to have gone a bit quiet!

ESCNI
11th May 2006, 11:26
Arrived at BIA last Sunday to discover that Boal's Car Park office was completely shut. Furthermore, the tarmac area in front of their office was completely closed off.

Any ideas what has happened/is happening?

:confused:

tallseabird
11th May 2006, 13:45
Funny, just heard today that the airport didn't renew the lease and are going to use it themselves, ties in with having a new car park operator!

ESCNI
11th May 2006, 15:03
Close down your (cheaper) rival....a very astute business move, methinks.

:(

Kestrel_909
18th May 2006, 21:45
Interesting, BFS comes first for cheap flights over DUB and BHD.

http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news.asp?id=265

RT_060590
19th May 2006, 16:22
I heard a rumor a while back about Translink connecting Aldergrove to the rail network, any truth in it? I doubted it as they don't seem to be able to afford to close the old BHD station and open a new one closer to the terminal!

richardnei
19th May 2006, 20:25
Airporter are starting a lot of new bus/coach routes from BFS to towns and citys across Northern Ireland. I think this is why they are building new bus stands at the front of the terminal.

Richard

spanishflea
19th May 2006, 20:51
I heard a rumor a while back about Translink connecting Aldergrove to the rail network, any truth in it? I doubted it as they don't seem to be able to afford to close the old BHD station and open a new one closer to the terminal!

Would it really be worth moving the station a few hundred metres towards Holywood? Its current distance from the terminal is negligably further than the far spaces in the car parks really.

ESCNI
27th Jun 2006, 13:33
With the launch of their winter timetable, Flybe seem to have almost axed their Belfast City/Liverpool service.

Although there are two flights on a Saturday and one on a Sunday, there are now no flights available during the working week.

:{

Kestrel_909
27th Jun 2006, 14:04
New routesfrom BHD with them are Doncaster and Galway, perfect getaways for a winter weekend :S

Belboy
28th Jun 2006, 12:28
Are Galway and Doncaster good substitutes for loss of Bristol and reduction in Liverpool, I think not. Will Galway work or will the Belfast traffic still drive to the West? Will retaining Sat and Sun services to LPL pick up the football supporters, are many matches not played on Monday - Friday. Surely the end of BHD - LPL is getting closer.

CaptJ
28th Jun 2006, 12:45
I note that NICE is missing from the Winter schedule :{ .
Doesn't seem to be anything there to plug the gap in the schedule

Anyone got any info on whether BFS-NICE has been axed?

Also note that Gatwick is up to 5 a day from 2 Oct :O
Dunno why they haven't announced that in any press release :confused:

ESCNI
28th Jun 2006, 13:10
Their timetable suggests that the Belfast/Nice service is reduced to one flight a week! :{

However, there are two flights a week in the return direction!?!? :confused:

tallseabird
29th Jun 2006, 08:31
I see to go to Rome for St Patricks weekend on Easy is over £360 return, just happens to clash with a 6 nations rugby match - hardly low cost. Its only £80 the previous weekend, seems like gouging to me.

eastern wiseguy
29th Jun 2006, 19:17
tallseabird

I do hope I am not providing you with a "bite" BUT St Patricks day...Six Nations Rugby(presumably Ireland away to Italy) and you are expecting there to still be £1.99 plus tax type tickets available.....don't be silly:ugh:

Kestrel_909
29th Jun 2006, 19:50
You could always save £100 and do City to Manchester to Gatwick to Rome, and the same on the return with BA :D

tallseabird
30th Jun 2006, 08:17
Kestrel909, BA have a flight from LGW return for £100 and Flybe will get you to LGW for £65 admittedly you do need a hotel on the way out but that is a 'saving' of £200, it'll be interesting to see what the Easy fares to LGW are like when they are announced.

I had booked before Easy announced their flights, I accept (expect) Easy to increase their prices for events or occasions but £80 to over £360 is just too much. I know people who are paying it, but I would have thought that £200-£250 would be a more acceptable (price gouging) fare

I can't say that I have noticed a £1.99 fare for quite some time with Easy, all of their fares seem to be increasing far more than inflation, they obviously need some competition

True Blue
16th Jul 2006, 09:37
Just been looking at the provisional Caa Stats for June 06. They show that BHD had a decline of 5.7% pax for the month and 1% over the year. This in spite of these new services, Flybe to Man, Bacon to Bhx to name but two.

Any views on why they are not making progress? With all the increases in services, but not in Pax, is any money being made by the airlines?

True Blue

drflight
16th Jul 2006, 17:27
Any guys out there working as crew/ops/ground staff/handling etc concerned about the very intrusive body searches that seem to be taking place more now at BFS by ICS?

BELHold
16th Jul 2006, 20:32
"Any guys out there working as crew/ops/ground staff/handling etc concerned about the very intrusive body searches that seem to be taking place more now at BFS by ICS?"

I pass through Security several times almost every day, in my opinion very intrusive = very good, something our European counterparts should take note of.

I would much rather walk away "knowing" when I've been searched rather than having concerns about the standard of search, the determined terrorist needs to be lucky just once.

Just for info it is actually ICTS that conduct security at BFS, ICS do AC cleaning and WCHRs.

Belboy
17th Jul 2006, 13:47
The CAA stats for one month, especially the provisionals, when read in isolation do not mean much. It is interesting that the provisional stats for BFS are not posted for June. If you look at the May stats you will find BFS up 5% and BHD down 3.5%. Is this the start of a trend?

kwoody
17th Jul 2006, 21:12
Hey,
Was in Belfast today and saw Air Berlin 737-700 with winglets, how long as this been operating the stansted route, last aircraft i seen was a 737 without winglets operating it. How come they are able to fit the wingleted 737 in now and couldnt a while back? Saw a few other usuals, Flybe and BMI...:)

Kyle

Kestrel_909
17th Jul 2006, 21:34
kwoody

I'm not sure the 'unable to fit winglet 737' excuse was a valid one?

It's a mixture of 737s and 737s with winglets, depends on the day.

kwoody
17th Jul 2006, 21:37
Does it ever work out that there is two BMI aircraft in the ground while an AB one is there?

uncovered
26th Jul 2006, 15:50
I hear that Flybe will take over from EZY on this route. Services will be on Q400 from BHD. Announcements in the next 2 weeks.

Kestrel_909
26th Jul 2006, 15:55
Sorry uncovered, What route?

uncovered
26th Jul 2006, 15:57
Kestral

Flybe rumoured to take over from Easy on Belfast City to Inverness.

Kestrel_909
26th Jul 2006, 16:10
uncovered

Ah I see now, didn't have a clue which one you were on about.

Kestrel_909
28th Jul 2006, 13:47
Thanks to BFS/BHD for the link.

GSM to start BFS-SFB this year.

http://news.cheapflights.co.uk/flights/2006/07/flyglobespan_to.html

Wohoo

richardnei
28th Jul 2006, 21:48
Also weekly flights from BFS-YZZ from Nov'06

Best Regards

richardnei

True Blue
28th Jul 2006, 23:54
See it confirmed in the Belfast Telegraph to-night that the BFS - Nice and Inverness routes are not operating this winter. The Nice route may return next spring. Apparently there will be increased capacity from Bfs to Ncl, Brs and Fao over the winter.

True Blue

True Blue
30th Jul 2006, 11:11
The CAA stats for June 06 and the rolling YTD have now been published.

They show the following:

June 06 BHD - 182199 pax down 5.8%
BFS - 455559 pax up 3.7%

YTD BHD - 2178756 pax down 1.00%
BFS - 4941955 pax up 6.1%

To all the BHD supporters out there, two questions
1. With all the expansion of new services at BHD, how is it that the number of pax is not increasing?
2. What,if any, routes do you believe that Flybe are actually making a profit on out of Belfast City?

Would like to know what others think.

True Blue

Ametyst
30th Jul 2006, 11:43
easyJet also adding an extra weekly flight on Belfast Int. to Liverpool with 8 return flights operating on a Friday. Fly Be only operating thrice-weekly between Belfast City and Liverpool with two flights on a Saturday and one on a Sunday for the football traffic.

I do wonder about Fly Be sometimes!

ALLMCC
31st Jul 2006, 10:27
True Blue

Have a look at www.bcaagreementeippanel.com and www.belfastcityairportwatch.co.uk - these might explain!

True Blue
31st Jul 2006, 10:44
I'm not sure that I could accept these as being the reasons. The planning restrictions have all but been ignored by Bhd and the planning service. Has any route had to be cancelled/reduced because the planning restrictions have suddenly been invoked? Have never heard of that happening.

True Blue

eastern wiseguy
31st Jul 2006, 12:23
Before it was edited Allmcc posted

Have a look at www.bcaagreementeippanel.com - this might explain part of the reason - this and continual oppression from a certain competitor!!
Whats the problem with marketing the product and people voting with their wallets? Don't you like an open and competitive market?

Welcome back btw:)

Kestrel_909
1st Aug 2006, 09:47
BACON withdrawing BHD-BHX service in a couple of weeks due to low numbers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5234296.stm

ALLMCC
1st Aug 2006, 10:42
eastern wiseguy

Have no problems with a competitive market however, if you read the submission made by BFS to the EIP, this was blatantly ANTI competitive with demands to prevent any further international services from BHD etc which appear to be in direct contravention with EU competition regulations - this is something which will not go unnoticed when the EIP panel are preparing their report to the DOE.

With regard to the withdrawal of the BACON from BHD - BHX, this is hardly surprising when there was already serious over capacity to BHX between WW and BE.

FlyboyUK
1st Aug 2006, 10:46
And have you seen the picture the BBC have used on their webiste? I'd love to see a 747 get in and out of BHD!:eek:

Belboy
2nd Aug 2006, 08:19
Seems that despite the BA statement that there would be no change to the BHD - MAN operation there has been. Trying to book flights from winter schedule and there appears to be one less rotation each day.

hushkit77
2nd Aug 2006, 09:16
I hear that the BA MAN nightstopper will not nightstop anymore so thats most likely where the change will be.

db7
2nd Aug 2006, 20:24
checking timetable seems six flights a day bhd - man

but only five man - bhd !!!

BFS/BHD
2nd Aug 2006, 20:27
Flybe will go 7 times daily between BHD and BHX.

BHDflyer
3rd Aug 2006, 10:13
I think BA will soon be on their way out of Belfast. Certainly in my opinion, post October 27th 2001, British Airways have been a waste of time in Belfast. If flybe make the slightest increase on BHD-MAN, BA should throw in the towel. Going low-cost won´t help, IT IS FINISHED. Goodbye British Airways, you will be sadly missed :sad:

True Blue
3rd Aug 2006, 10:29
I tend to agree with the above. Years ago when we only had BA on the Bfs - Lhr route, there was a lot of critism about the level of service they offered. Having flown a few times on the Bhd - Lhr service with BD, I'm afraid to say that I feel the same is happening. Monopoly = indifferent service as far as I can see. BD said that the main reasons to move to Bhd were 1. passengers preferred Bhd, yet pax nos on the route keep falling and 2. lower charges, well that is a joke. I think in the future we will regret only having BD on the Lhr route and no BA. I flew Ba in March to Izmir ex Lgw, they were very good.

True Blue

ALLMCC
3rd Aug 2006, 10:39
True Blue

BMI may have given these reasons publicly however most people know the real reason why they moved to BHD and why they will most probably never move back to BFS.

eastern wiseguy
3rd Aug 2006, 11:24
real reason why they moved to BHD

Which is? To operate smaller aircraft? ....which have to be "home" early...can't be the charges? FlyBe tickets for instance always seem to have HIGHER tax and "charges" when flying from there. Go on tell us the real reason.....

True Blue
3rd Aug 2006, 22:27
True Blue

BMI may have given these reasons publicly however most people know the real reason why they moved to BHD and why they will most probably never move back to BFS.

As nobody has expressed an opinion, let me start. I think BD fell for the marketing line that everybody wanted to fly from Bhd. They saw a chance to get in there first, thinking that Ba were going to do it. So they thought, what a great way to get rid of Ba, move to Bhd, capture all the pax cause that's where all the pax want to fly from, they were told. 2 things went wrong, Ba left completely and since then, pax on the route have fallen steadily, source Caa stats. Route now carries about half the pax of only a few years ago. I'm a regular traveller, I use Bhd - Lhr only when I have no other option. Bhd is not convenient for many pax, except North Down. When the Civil Servants are eventually stopped from spending £60k per month of our money flying business class on this route, BD will be in further trouble. The outlook, I believe that Bd will eventually take this route back to Bfs and transfer it to BmiBaby. That, added to current pax numbers, will give Baby a real critical mass in Bfs. Bd are now moving to a point where they are no longer a major player here.

True Blue

WOWBOY
3rd Aug 2006, 23:33
Does anyone have an update on the BHD-BRS service?

Is any one interested in oprtating this route when flybe. drop it?

Belboy
4th Aug 2006, 08:36
With Eazyjet operating 3 daily from BFS, flybe unable to make it work from City, who would even consider taking it on? Having used the BHD - BRS a few times in the past I hope someone does.

omoko joe
5th Aug 2006, 11:27
Standby for Whizzair entering the fray at BFS. 3 routes to be announced comprehensively raining on Easy's parade. Looks like Easy's expansion is finished at BFS, that's 3 low cost airlines all in the pipeline for BFS within the next 6 months and not a single new route from Easyjet. Complacency is the route to demise :hmm:

True Blue
5th Aug 2006, 17:24
Are you able/prepared to give any more clues???????????

True Blue

johnrizzo2000
5th Aug 2006, 19:20
Would BA ever consider coming back to BFS?

ESCNI
5th Aug 2006, 20:28
British Airways have been a waste of time in Belfast.
Agreed. The difference in service between BA and easyJet on the Belfast/Liverpool route has been phenomenal. BA always treated footie fans like outcasts....whereas EasyJet have supplied the customers with large planes and Saturday night return flights since their arrival.

There really has been no comparison in supplying the customer with what they really want.

True Blue
5th Aug 2006, 22:33
Have just been checking some fares. Bacon out of Bhd to Man, Monday 20 Nov [email protected], £155. Return Fri 26 Jan 07@ 18.30, £107. Bmibaby ex Bfs, same dates, similar times, out ex Bfs £10.99, return either 4p or £10.99, depending on time chosen. How can Bacon justify such high fares so far in advance and how do they think they are going to compete with either Baby or Flybe at these levels?

BTW, the early morning flight out is still available to book, even though there are only 5 return flights. Looks like someone hasn't been paying attention to their work!!

True Blue

BHDflyer
6th Aug 2006, 15:53
Would BA ever consider coming back to BFS?

Probably not. Were would they fly to? There is too much competition. Unless a miracle happened and bmi pulled, then there might be a chance for BA to come in. Otherwise no.

True Blue
6th Aug 2006, 16:00
See on the Flybe site that they are increasing frequency to 6 per day, Mon and Fri, 5 on other weekdays, less at weekends on the Bhd to Man route. Is this the move to kill Bacon on the route and are we seeing the end on BA in Northern Ireland? The speed which BA has withdrawn here is amazing, a few years ago if you wanted to fly out of Belfast, almost every route was BA. Now, nothing.

True Blue

NWSRG
6th Aug 2006, 22:26
Standby for Whizzair entering the fray at BFS. 3 routes to be announced comprehensively raining on Easy's parade. Looks like Easy's expansion is finished at BFS, that's 3 low cost airlines all in the pipeline for BFS within the next 6 months and not a single new route from Easyjet. Complacency is the route to demise :hmm:

Omoko...Whizzair plus another two? Who are we getting?

Torycanyon
12th Aug 2006, 15:42
Any more Info on Wizz Air, are they going to the Harbour or International?
When are they likely to make an appearance?

BHDflyer
13th Aug 2006, 18:15
See on the Flybe site that they are increasing frequency to 6 per day, Mon and Fri, 5 on other weekdays, less at weekends on the Bhd to Man route. Is this the move to kill Bacon on the route and are we seeing the end on BA in Northern Ireland? The speed which BA has withdrawn here is amazing, a few years ago if you wanted to fly out of Belfast, almost every route was BA. Now, nothing.

True Blue

My mum worked for British Airways ground operations at Belfast International and was made redundant in 2001, and her point of view is that if BA did ever come back to Belfast, it would never be the same again as it was, and she would never go back to them. According to her the BFS-LHR flights were always full, and at times there was not one empty seat on the aircraft, indicating the loss of 38 million in 4 years is total rubbish. BA had simply had enough of Belfast and wanted out. If bmi suddenly announced the closure of BHD-LHR, BA MUST start the route again, even if it is from BHD. Aer lingus could also be a possibility (I'm sure that would please owl Gerry Adams, Paisley would certainly kick up again! He He He!), and could connect your luggage through to a BA flight at Heathrow, but otherwise I don't know.

NWSRG
13th Aug 2006, 18:49
Is it not well known why BA pulled out?

Slots at LHR were more valuable to BA for international routes rather than BFS flights...and BA were able to claim that the BFS route was "unprofitable" due to their internal accountants only allocating a tiny proportion of a BFS-LHR ticket price to the BFS route, where the passenger was connecting with an international BA flight from LHR...

...and BFS was probably the easiest route to cut adrift. Had GLA, or EDI been threatened, the political outcry would have been more significant in Westminster...

Kestrel_909
13th Aug 2006, 19:06
Any more Info on Wizz Air, are they going to the Harbour or International?

They'd be barking mad to make an appearance at City! Woof woof:}
Sorry just had to get the pun in there, after a dog invading the runway at BHD tonight, I bet it gave them more of a run around than the tortoise did when it got airside!:E

cessnarocket
14th Aug 2006, 00:36
wizz air to the international cant give my away my scorce also weekly orlando with 767 starts oct operator unknown, bfs as well third route unknown so doubt if there will be any other before crimbo :D

hushkit77
14th Aug 2006, 12:31
Orlando with a B767 is not 'Operator unknown', infact its quite widely known now that it is FlyGlobespan who will be operating this service.! Hope it proves popular and stays with us!

Agent Oringe
14th Aug 2006, 14:10
Will the Wizz flights be originating from Poland or Hungary?
When are they scheduled to start operating to BFS?:)

cessnarocket
14th Aug 2006, 23:52
wizz will have 3 diff routes from bfs warshaw and budapest not sure off the other 1 also some greek operator in talks with the upstairs ppl 2 day any 1 shed any light ?????

airhumberside
15th Aug 2006, 08:58
I guess any 3rd Wizz Air route would be Gdansk or Katowice

carlos vandango
15th Aug 2006, 10:23
Standby for another Eastern Seaboard announcement too...:ooh:

cessnarocket
16th Aug 2006, 21:07
Delta Airlines Route I Dont No Yet !!!!!

richardnei
17th Aug 2006, 13:58
Hi All!

Heard up at BFS today that Wizz Air are to start flights from 2007. Flights will operate to Warsaw/Budapest/Gdansk.

The Greek Airline that was in the other day was Greece Airways talking about operating all year.

Thomas Cook also to start flights next year poss to YYZ.

Jet2's Philip Meeson at BFS during the week aswell.

In total 7 Airlines have been in discussions at BFS over the past 3-4 Weeks.

Hope this helps!

Richard

eastern wiseguy
17th Aug 2006, 14:25
Heard a rumour today that Air Berlin were considering a move up the road.If true I wonder what EZY will make of it :confused:

ESCNI
17th Aug 2006, 14:55
...Warsaw/Budapest/Gdansk

Wot no Krakow? :(

I mean, who would want to go to Gdansk? ;)

fredtheanorak
17th Aug 2006, 17:10
Apparently Phil M was in BFS discussing doubling frequency to BLK and LBA from 3/07. Should do well for numbers although yields are a bit :mad: :yuk:

Belboy
18th Aug 2006, 07:31
I think the 'Air Berlin considering a move up the road' is wide of the mark. Air Berlin BHD service is performing well. The pax numbers are increasing at a pleasing rate and to go head to head with Easy from BFS would only result in difficulties and perhaps the end of the route. Maintaining operations at the Harbour provides the necessary product differentiation to continue the success on the service.

Torycanyon
27th Aug 2006, 00:33
I see Eirejet are regualar visitors to BFS. Are they night stopping their aircraft at all or are they just busy during daylight hours?

johnrizzo2000
28th Aug 2006, 16:15
I wonder will we see a seasonal increase from CO next summer? Maybe 10 weekly? Twice daily is unlikely, as BHX didnt even get that this year!

cessnarocket
29th Aug 2006, 10:48
co at belfast is the best performer out off the 3 new routes that started at the time holds filled with cargo i think the 7 weekly flights will stand tho a while ago there was wispers off a b676 ???? jet 2 757 to tfs any comments on how 1 thinks this will go and effect myt etc

Kestrel_909
29th Aug 2006, 11:26
cessnarocket

Not sure how much of an effect the TFS service will have on MYT. Last winter I think TFS was twice weekly, Tuesday and a Friday I think? Maybe reduced to once weekly.

Upgaded to a 762, oo that would make BFS seem like a proper city :D I can't see it becoming twice daily, would be serious overkill I think.

The rumours of another eastern seaboard destination, any idea who/where? JFK would be overkill on the NY route I'd think, and GSM starting to Florida, unlikely to be there. Do we count Atlanta as eastern?

BAforever
29th Aug 2006, 11:35
What about the possibility of Delata operating JFK to belfast as rumoured on the Delat forum. Would it be daily. The CO service to Newark has high load factors so why not another airline operating the route?:ok:

carlos vandango
29th Aug 2006, 12:15
I heard the CO would go 76. I don't think there's any chance of another operator flying to New York although I hear Boston is in the frame. As for Jet2, yes they will hurt MYT seat only sales but they've been careful to operate on different days to MYT also avoiding the TFS charter mayhem of Tues and Fri. So who knows anything about the RYR BFS base that's being mumbled about on the ramp in DUB?

johnrizzo2000
29th Aug 2006, 15:14
I cant see BFS getting a 767, when CO hasnt got any to spare. DUB or MAN would get a 767 before BFS. 10 weekly 757 service next summer could be likely

cessnarocket
30th Aug 2006, 04:07
:hmm: not ryanair BFS base try bhd for size only what ive heard from the boys down the road in bhd !!!!!!!

carlos vandango
30th Aug 2006, 13:37
Nice try but as BHD is close to it's pax limits, and short of space I don't see half a dozen blue boeings making an appearance there anytime soon.

EGAC_Ramper
30th Aug 2006, 14:11
Be it BHD or BFS where are these rumours of Ryanair coming from? Would be curious to know and if at all it is substantiated!!

Regards:ok:

mysecretsmile
31st Aug 2006, 17:06
I agree with Carlos on the rumours that Ryanair would start at BHD - how ?
they simply don't have room in the terminal, the stands and the pax cap !

Unless one of the current operators moved out I don't see how they could offer Ryanair any options for new routes ???

Although given the very poor pax nos through BHD so far this year
I could see BHD management virtually paying O'Learly to start something
with them.

cessnarocket
31st Aug 2006, 17:22
ok picture this bmi pulls out of northern ireland heathrow slots being used else were air berlin moves to bfs bhd empty apron plenty off room for blue boeings also the old terminal is being knocked to make a total off 16 stands FACT;) now giving the loads this year why expand your apron ???

NWSRG
31st Aug 2006, 20:39
This little corner of the world is getting busy...

So, we have...

BMI withdrawing (maybe) or returning to BFS (more likely)...

Air Berlin maybe going to BFS...

FR coming to BHD?

Globespan starting to Orlando (definite)

CO increasing flights to Newark (or going 762 / 763 if they can find one spare...maybe a 787 in the near future...ok, that's a leap too far)

Possibly another transatlantic operator...my money would be on Toronto, but with who? Or maybe Delta to Atlanta?

Wizz Air to three Eastern European destinations...

Did I miss anything?

All good news (apart from the FR business, as I'm still fuming about my recent Dublin - Salzburg experience, but I must learn not to carry grudges!)

Hope with all this fun, the good ATC staff in "lil Norn Iron" will still have some room for a little Cherokee!!

RT_060590
31st Aug 2006, 20:41
Apoligies if I am wrong , does the old terminal really need to be knocked down for stands to be used in that location? they seemed fine when the old term was in use what has put them out of service since it was closed? Also, would it not be a waste of a decent building and machines/resources inside the old terminal?
Again apoligies if I'm wrong or this has been previously answerd!

True Blue
31st Aug 2006, 21:29
I have asked this question before, but got no answer that makes sense to me. After all the expansion at BHD, why are the pax figures so poor? And let us all remember that the planning rules at BHD have just been ignored, so that is not the reason. I think that the Caa stats for July showed the LHR route under 60,000 and it keeps going down.

Any views?

True Blue

eastern wiseguy
31st Aug 2006, 21:38
60,000 and it keeps going down.

Any views?

Well you could start with the obvious....BHD closes earlier than BFS ....and Bmi are operating smaller aircraft with fewer rotations.....See pprune since 2001 when Bmi moved. I wonder how much longer their contract in the city runs?:hmm:

True Blue
31st Aug 2006, 21:59
Closing earlier still doesn't explain. Flybe have expanded a lot at Bhd, I,m taking a guess, but I bet there are more seats on sale out of Bhd than ever, but pax ain't going up.

I would love to see an early morning out of BFS to Lgw, 7am type. Anybody think that we will see it soon? Would be very useful to me.

Also, what are the chances of expansion at Bfs of BMIbaby?

True Blue

eastern wiseguy
31st Aug 2006, 22:15
Closing earlier still doesn't explain

Think it might help!... If you assume an A321 with a load of say 150 on board arriving EVERY night at 2300 as it did into BFS ...do the math ...150x7x52 =54600x Business fares.....not to be sniffed at I would suggest.

Agree with the sentiment to LGW ex BFS ....:ok:

EGAC_Ramper
1st Sep 2006, 10:14
Well certainly IF BMI did pull out of Belfast City then all the space left by the Business lounge could go to adding to the departure space. As for Ryanair who knows if they would serve BHD but what likely routes would they serve? :ouch:

Glad to see more trans-atlantic routes opening up and Wizz Air arriving too.

Regards:ok:

P.s. Do FR flights out of Derry operate with restrictions or anything with regards to performance/weight. Interested to know as if they didnt then BHD could be viable.

BAforever
1st Sep 2006, 10:31
Or Maybe Delta to Atlanta

I think its more likley to be Delta to JFK on a 757 than Atlanta because:-
1)They are planning a big expansion from JFK and have been qouted saying that they want to be biggest in Europe
2)Delta dont have any spare 767 to use to European destination (excl LGW)
3)Delta are recieving 10 more 757 next year on lease.
4)Delta can barley fill the ATL-LGW service so a service to Belfast in unlikley as after LGW, A Amsterdam service is probably the most likley.

Look out for an announcement in November!

BAforever:ok:

True Blue
1st Sep 2006, 10:48
Returning to the subject of the pax figures at BHD. We were all fed this nonsense that the airport many wanted to use, especially business people, was Bhd. Well, it doesn't seem that way when you look at the pax numbers, when the Lhr route moved to Bhd, many, in fact over half of the numbers from a few years ago have voted with their feet and now get to London some other route. The charges out of Bhd added to the cost of the flight are awful. I have travelled to central London for less ex Bfs than the charges alone would have been out of Bhd. So Bhd has a problem, passenger charges are too high and how do they reduce them when they have all thse new facilities to pay for? Added to that, the money has been spent but pax numbers are at best flat.

I can see the sense in AB moving to Bfs. Then the Stn route would have 7X services per day. That would compete very well with Lhr for Lon traffic. At the moment their 2x is not much use to business people. Having said that, see from latest Caa stats that they carried about 9000 pax in June? without damaging Easy. Does this indicate that there was more demand to Stn than Easy catered for and do Easy restrict capacity on many routes out of Bfs?

Out of interest, noticed last night that Baby have the Cwl route up to 2x in the winter timetable.

True Blue

johnref
1st Sep 2006, 11:00
P.s. Do FR flights out of Derry operate with restrictions or anything with regards to performance/weight. Interested to know as if they didnt then BHD could be viable.

Until Derry gets the longer runway Ryanair run their 737-800's with first 4-5 and last 4-5 rows blocked off - bringing capacity down from 189 to circa 150

True Blue
1st Sep 2006, 11:13
Can anyone explain. I understand that Ldy has a longer runway than Bhd, but Fr has problems there and has to operate with restrictions. Yet Bhd has operated services this year to Spain with a shorter runway. So what is the problem for Fr?

Am I missing something? Sorry if I am wrong.

True Blue

BAforever
1st Sep 2006, 11:34
The runway at LDY is 20 metre longer than the one at BHD so the hight of the runway from sea level? Whether the aircraft has to avoid a built up area? Length of journey? All could be factors:ok:

johnref
1st Sep 2006, 11:43
The runway at LDY is 20 metre longer than the one at BHD so the hight of the runway from sea level? Whether the aircraft has to avoid a built up area? Length of journey? All could be factors:ok:

and probably the fact that Ryanair use de-rated engines

EGAC_Ramper
1st Sep 2006, 11:59
Thanks Johnref,

this is what I was wondering as EGAE rwy 08/26 is 1852m to EGAC rwy 04/22 with 1829m. Clearly though FR still operate out of LDY but taking these penalties must affect business. I'd like to see FR out of BHD even on a limited basis specially seen as I nae work there anymroe anyways lol.:D :ok:

airhumberside
1st Sep 2006, 14:18
4)Delta can barley fill the ATL-LGW service so a service to Belfast in unlikley as after LGW, A Amsterdam service is probably the most likley.
DL already fly AMS-ATL. And if they can barely fill LGW-ATL, how come they have flown MAN-ATL for a few years and how come EDI-ATL appears to have been doing well since it was launched earlier this summer?

eastern wiseguy
1st Sep 2006, 14:26
I think its more likley to be Delta to JFK on a 757

Are Delta's 75's long range versions? Something tells me they don't have the legs for a transatlantic crossing BFS-JFK.Anyway .......my money is on some sort of half a$$ed Aer Lingus BFS-BOS via SNN thing:}

Kestrel_909
1st Sep 2006, 15:09
I think Delta have 10 ex AA 757-200ERs on the way, to be used on Transatlantic flightsm.

As for RYR restrictions at LDY, I'm not sure the engines are the problem. Most of the 738s have the 26k rated engines, only some have the 24k rated. I thought brakes were more of an issue with higher temperatures on the short runway and the turnaround time?

True Blue
1st Sep 2006, 21:56
See on the xl website that they are selling 7 destinations ex Bfs for S07. All being flown by xl themselves. Aircraft operate in and out, not based here as far as I can see.
True Blue

jabird
1st Sep 2006, 22:30
I would have thought that the night restrictions would put FR off from setting up any kind of base at BHD, which I'm sure the local nimbys would be glad to hear. Can't think of that many places from where they'd operate domestic flights into BHD - if you count SNN or ORK, would there be the volume for that - maybe at ORK, but would have thought they want to keep up the Taj-bashing ruse for a while.

Could BHD handle scheduled international flights - I presume there is a facility for baggage from int. flights through STN, LHR etc - but would it be worth bringing in immigration officers for just a couple of flights each day?

DL have made a big deal about their EDI to ATL being widebodied, compared to CO's 75's to EWR, but I can't see there being enough volume for many BFS-ATL rotations with a 76, so if they do launch BFS-ATL with a 75, I'm sure they'll have to try a different spin. Florida aside, the US routes seem to be more about onward connections than the arrival city itself - afaik, most only carry around 30% O&D, so I would have thought ATL would make much more sense for DL than BFS, but either way, I'd expect to see more Scottish expansion (prob GLA to ATL) first - the market is larger, DL are doing much better on pond crossing than AA or US, and the odd-sweetener can always make the gamble that little bit less risky.

asianfly
2nd Sep 2006, 01:51
Can't think of that many places from where they'd operate domestic flights into BHD - if you count SNN or ORK, would there be the volume for that - maybe at ORK, but would have thought they want to keep up the Taj-bashing ruse for a while.

I like that description of FR's view of Cork's new terminal Jabird. :ok: Flights to Belfast form Cork would not have the same volume as flights to Dublin obviously....but then again, taking the train or driving is not really an option when going to Belfast so a daily service could probably work.

BHDflyer
2nd Sep 2006, 20:15
This little corner of the world is getting busy...

So, we have...

BMI withdrawing (maybe) or returning to BFS (more likely)...

Air Berlin maybe going to BFS...

FR coming to BHD?

Globespan starting to Orlando (definite)

CO increasing flights to Newark (or going 762 / 763 if they can find one spare...maybe a 787 in the near future...ok, that's a leap too far)

Possibly another transatlantic operator...my money would be on Toronto, but with who? Or maybe Delta to Atlanta?

Wizz Air to three Eastern European destinations...

Did I miss anything?

All good news (apart from the FR business, as I'm still fuming about my recent Dublin - Salzburg experience, but I must learn not to carry grudges!)

Hope with all this fun, the good ATC staff in "lil Norn Iron" will still have some room for a little Cherokee!!

In my opinion, bmi are more likely to withdraw from Northern Ireland if there is ongoing unprofitability. Belfast International airport does not have the room to build brand new state of the art business and diamond club lounges with an airbridge, nor would it have the money due to all of it being wasted on retail. If you picture after security at BFS you would know that the area that used to be the business and diamond club lounges is now a Cafe Paul Rankin and wine bar, and that the surrounding area is completely shops and other restaurants. Picture it 5 years ago and you would have thought that another Alton Towers could be built here! If bmi do give up BHD-LHR aer lingus would have to step in, or if not the government would have to get down on thier knees and beg Willie Walsh:ugh:

eastern wiseguy
2nd Sep 2006, 21:23
If bmi do give up BHD-LHR aer lingus would have to step in, or if not the government would have to get down on thier knees and beg Willie Walsh

Why on earth would the government do that?:confused: :confused:

As for business lounges AerLingus don't operate a business class in Europe these days so a BFS LHR rotation wouldn't require one...and BFS is open later ...all the reasons I gave for a reduction in BMI's figures:E :E

True Blue
2nd Sep 2006, 21:50
Is there any reliable knowledge as to whether this Bmi route is profitable or not? With pax numbers falling, could unprofitability be an issue?

True Blue

Danmadole
3rd Sep 2006, 13:07
CONTINENTAL:
Travelled ex-BFS on the CO 757 to & fro Newark in August. Packed to the rafters both directions and got offered $500 at Newark to take another flight home. I would have accepted only there wasnt another flight till the next evening and accommodation wasn't part of the deal.
I've noticed arrivals into BFS are regularly delayed now. I can only put this down to capacity issues at Newark. We left stand 15 minutes before departure time and finally took off 1hr 40 minutes later!!!:bored: Some serious queues of aircraft waiting to depart and if the weather changes the whole thing goes belly up. So I cant see CO pushing for another slot when Newark seems to be bursting at the seams. B767 or B777 to BFS is more likely but have they got the spare aircraft?
RYANAIR
When is this never-ending story going to end:ugh: Cant ever see them coming to BFS without extra terminal space..... Have you ever seen how many aircraft are on stand at BFS during peak times..... particularly Saturday am.
BHD seems more likely but only if the old terminal could be transformed. But I suspect there would be more lucrative areas for RYR expansion long before they'd even consider a dodgy old terminal with not too many 738w equipped stands, a shorter r/w than LDY and a curfew.
I suppose as long as RYR aren't in the Belfast marked, there'll always be rumours!
UPS/STARAIR
Anyone heard how they are going with their 6-month trial at BFS? By the look of the rotation point of those B767's they ain't carrying too much:confused:

kthompson
6th Sep 2006, 13:03
Hi This is my first post in here.

I have been waiting 2 months since Easyjet began their winter timetable, to book flights from BFS - NCE.

I have emailed and wasn't surprised not to receive a reply, but when I rang on Sunday, I was told all outstanding flights will be out by Tuesday, and if it doesn't appear, then the route will have been taken off.

Of course none came out yesterday.

Do I take it I will have to book winter flights to Nice via Luton or Liverpool, like I used to, or will I wait.

There are still lots of routes not issued yet. Why can't they issue a statement saying which have been taken off the winter schedule.

Tks

BFS/BHD
6th Sep 2006, 15:24
kthompson

Ezy have dropped the Nice route for the winter at least. I presume it will be back for S07.

kthompson
6th Sep 2006, 16:53
Tks.

Just booked flights BFS - LIV - NCE for November and January, and DUB - NCE March.

I hope when Ezy bring out their remaining winter schedule BFS - NCE is not included!

Belboy
7th Sep 2006, 11:11
Did Easyjet receive assistance from the Air Route Development Fund to launch the Nice route, I seem to recall that they did, though I may be wrong.

Is the period of assistance over, I thought that it was originally stated that routes would be assisted for 3 years.

CaptJ
7th Sep 2006, 13:30
Returning to the subject of the pax figures at BHD. We were all fed this nonsense that the airport many wanted to use, especially business people, was Bhd. Well, it doesn't seem that way when you look at the pax numbers, when the Lhr route moved to Bhd, many, in fact over half of the numbers from a few years ago have voted with their feet and now get to London some other route. The charges out of Bhd added to the cost of the flight are awful.

Seemingly lost in the mists of time is the real reason why bmi moved out of BFS. Also the reason why BA left.
bmi fell out with BFS management of the time over special deals given to easyJet. Nevertheless bmi are on record as saying that they would NEVER have left BFS if they had known that BA were planning to depart. BA left Aldergrove because BA badly needed the slots to enable long-haul to be consolidated at LHR.
As for the lack of late flights contributing to bmi lack of profitability, I'm not so sure, as the existing latest flights can frequently be had at relatively cheap fares. In fact looking at the fares I would wager that apparent decreasing load factors notwithstanding, BHD is one of bmi's most profitable routes. The drop in passengers is mainly attributable to smaller aircraft.

bmi have had to massage their financials by selling slots, perhaps they will sell some more and concentrate on long-haul.

Or just maybe we have a negotiating ploy on the part of bmi. After all the charges at BHD are just ridiculous.

easyjets present practice of rolling cancellations should be driving passengers back to bmi, and perhaps even ABs direction. You certainly can't treat passengers like that and expect not to pay the price. Interesting to note there that Gatwick flights are rarely cancelled. Due to higher % business travellers?

Well that's my vague thoughts anyway.:hmm:

NWSRG
7th Sep 2006, 19:04
Noticed that we now have a couple of new stands behind the International Pier at BFS.

What routes are they being used for? And are there any plans for any more expansion?

cessnarocket
7th Sep 2006, 19:23
stands 28+29 have been in operation @belfast for over a year now they are being used as international stands plus an over flow for frieght operations bfs badly needs to get the frieght apron plans into overdraft and get the second terminal started along 1-6F that will be 8 new stands with all frieght moved to beside the blue hangers @ delta think the work has started on that new apron and road:) :) :)

cessnarocket
7th Sep 2006, 19:40
oh yea any word on who went off the rwy the other day at bfs light aircraft one thinks closed for about an hour see the markes on the grass landing 2 day :hmm:

NWSRG
7th Sep 2006, 19:50
Tell me more about this expansion plan...

...and I thought the T2 plans were stillborn...

cessnarocket
7th Sep 2006, 19:58
well looking at the plans all freight will be in the apron beside the blue hangers more concrete pored to fit them all in with new hangers being built time frame for this was 3 years i think, now from what i understand the blue sheds that currently are home to ba cargo servisair cargo directly north off the current freight apron will be converted into a "state off the art" domestic terminal 2 makes 1 think and nod !!! the date on those plans were something like spring 2010:ugh:

NWSRG
7th Sep 2006, 21:39
Any more info on the light aircraft that went off the runway?

One of the resident aircraft or someone flying in?

cessnarocket
8th Sep 2006, 14:14
G/BAJR PA28 FROM BELFAST FLYING CLUB DAMAGED NOSE GEAR NO INJURIES THANKFULLY:eek:

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

eastern wiseguy
9th Sep 2006, 20:34
Buggah...where's Allmcc when you want him?? lol:E :E

transwede
10th Sep 2006, 11:28
True Blue with regards to Excel flights for summer 07, all will be W pattern movements using a/c from existing UK bases.

Here is pattern, hope it helps.

CFU - W from NCL using Flyjet 757.
PFO - W from LGW using XLA a/c.
PMI - W from LGW using XLA a/c.
RHO - W from GLA using XLA a/c.
HER - W from GLA using XLA a/c.
ACE - W from STN using Nordic MD83.
DLM - W from NCL using Finnair 757.

richardnei
10th Sep 2006, 13:36
I take it that XL will also be doing the SAT BFS/VRN route as they have done for the past 2 years.

BRGDS

Richard

SELF SERVICE C/IN
10th Sep 2006, 20:06
Rumour At Bhd Of Vrn Charter Commencing 30dec06 Until Mar07.
Bmi Will Operate A319 Dep 0700 And 1400hrs On Saturdays During This Period

Bad Robot
10th Sep 2006, 22:32
VM ??? :confused:

ESCNI
11th Sep 2006, 07:01
V r n

:rolleyes:

richardnei
12th Sep 2006, 10:31
Hi ALL!

Just seen on the UTV news that BFS has announced there Master Plan for 2030. Highlights include:

- 12 Million passengers by 2030
- Present terminal to be knocked down by 2015 and replaced with new state of art 3 floor building
- New Car Parking facilities
- New direct Rail link to BFS

About time BFS got a new terminal! Hopefully more info on the evening news.

Best Regards

Richard

with alacrity
12th Sep 2006, 16:52
More Information courtesy of the website.
www.belfastairport.com/en/news.asp?id=292

Perhaps a new Control Tower will be included in the plan;)

Eastern,
You know who is either on holiday or hanging from a rope in the 22 undershoot.:eek:

kthompson
12th Sep 2006, 23:26
I fly BFS - NCE 6 times a year.

I received an email from Easyjet to say they have cancelled the winter flights.

They said they are looking into next summer.

What is there to look into? Every flight I have been on is almost full.

Cyrano
13th Sep 2006, 16:52
What is there to look into? Every flight I have been on is almost full.
And what was the average yield?
With respect, if you don't know that, you have no idea how well the route was performing. Pretty much any airline can fill a plane by reducing the average fare, but there's no easy way to tell from the outside whether the route is making money or not.

True Blue
14th Sep 2006, 20:52
I have 2 questions:
1. Some weeks back we were led to believe that the link to Snn was to be restored. Any news on that yet?
2. This time last year, we were expecting a new belfast based airline to be announced in November 05. What has happened to that?

Answers welcome.

True Blue

ALLMCC
16th Sep 2006, 10:39
Hi ALL!
Just seen on the UTV news that BFS has announced there Master Plan for 2030. Highlights include:
- 12 Million passengers by 2030
- Present terminal to be knocked down by 2015 and replaced with new state of art 3 floor building
- New Car Parking facilities
- New direct Rail link to BFS
About time BFS got a new terminal! Hopefully more info on the evening news.
Best Regards
Richard

I love the date for the new terminal - if they wait until 2015, it won't need demolished - by that time it will have already fallen down! - the new terminal is needed NOW, not in nine years time. Also, 12 million passengers! Where exactly from??

NWSRG
16th Sep 2006, 11:23
Have they published any plans yet for all this proposed expansion?

With talk of new piers and a new terminal, it would be nice to see some ideas as to where it all would go...

,,,although at the moment, I'm sure it would all be 'conceptual' rather than any firm plans...

johnrizzo2000
17th Sep 2006, 14:38
I'd love to see EI operating the BFS-SNN-JFK route! or was it SNN-BFS-JFK?

NWSRG
17th Sep 2006, 16:49
Folks,

Can anyone tell me who's the mostly-red 146 flying into City recently is? A special liveried Flybe maybe?

BFS/BHD
17th Sep 2006, 16:53
NWSRG

It sure is a Flybe logojet for Mansion Casino or something like that. Reg is G-JEBG.

BHDflyer
17th Sep 2006, 20:01
Wat dya rekon?:hmm:

cessnarocket
18th Sep 2006, 16:41
nothing heard as off yet lets see if what i said a few weeks ago comes true :D

SELF SERVICE C/IN
18th Sep 2006, 19:26
Don't Believe Announcement Has Anything To Do With Bhd.

OltonPete
20th Sep 2006, 22:29
BHX - BFS 17106 (up about 4000)

BHX - BHD 24626 (down about 3000)

I make Babys average at about 111 per flight (the third flight only operated Tu, Wed, Fri in Aug) or 76% load factor based on the 733.

I would have said that this was one of Baby's least money spinning
routes in the past based on pax figures and low prices available but a strong performance even if it was August especially compared to BE & BACON (until they pulled off).

Pete

BFS/BHD
28th Sep 2006, 16:02
Wizzair are to start Katowice and Warsaw from next May and June. More to come according to the link.
http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news.asp?id=295

Charlie Roy
28th Sep 2006, 22:26
I think Wizzair are onto a winner here :ok: They are the only airline to offer services between Northern Ireland and Poland. I wish them the best of luck ;)

Wee Weasley Welshman
29th Sep 2006, 08:39
easyJet will offer BFS to Krakow for Spring 2007. Expect an official announcement in a couple of weeks along with new routes and increased frequences for EZY BFS. The base is prospering.

Cheers

toolonggone
29th Sep 2006, 09:15
Wizz should do well at BFS, especially seeing how well the Polish routes are doing ex DUB. Anyone any idea what new routes are expected in the pipeline from EZY and/or which routes might be selected to receive increased freqs?

Cheers,

TLG

ESCNI
29th Sep 2006, 10:07
easyJet will offer BFS to Krakow for Spring 2007. Expect an official announcement in a couple of weeks along with new routes and increased frequences for EZY BFS. The base is prospering.

Cheers

A couple of weeks?.....the next day more like!...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/5391492.stm

However, as well as announcing new routes they are still busy cancelling flights.

Next to go is November's BFS/LPL early Saturday flight (08.10) so beloved by us footie fans....what a great way to treat regular customers.

ESCNI
29th Sep 2006, 10:25
However, as well as announcing new routes they are still busy cancelling flights. :*

Next to go is November's BFS/LPL early Saturday flight (08.10) so beloved by us footie fans....what a great way to treat regular customers. :=

jongeman
29th Sep 2006, 10:38
If you want to watch some real footie, WW depart on Sats at 0825 to MAN:ok:

Wee Weasley Welshman
29th Sep 2006, 11:51
Possibly trying to steal some media thunder from the Wizz announcement.

Danmadole
29th Sep 2006, 19:56
Can't see Katowice being much of a draw for the tourist market. Warsaw only marginally better. I would imagine the local Polish population are the main winners here.

EZY have the "plum draw" in Krakow..... supposedly a beautiful city and ideal for a weekend away / stag weekends etc.... also the infamous Auschwitz nearby.

Interesting to note that the Krakow announcement is the first of a number of new EZY routes ex-BFS for Summer 2007. Any bets on the other likely destinations?

BHDflyer
30th Sep 2006, 21:56
Hope Wizzair do really well on the Polish routes, infact it's a bit silly me saying that because I know they'll do well as the workforce in Northern Ireland where Polish people are concerned is rocketing!

Change of subject. How can BA Connect expect to try and compete on BHD-MAN if they stop the early morning flight. Flybe will totally take all the business people here. Secondly, if you think about it, who in or around Belfast is really going to want to fly to Manchester at 8 o'clock every night? Now I know that there may well be people wanting to fly on this flight (your odd English person wanting to get home), but, honestly, were do the high amounts of passengers come from that BA expect to get? Pax levels on a flight at 8 o'clock at night are NOTHING compared to a flight at 6:55 in the morning, lets face it. I sometimes begin to think that BA actually don't care about the route anymore, and they're just keeping it going to try and say that they "still fly out of Northern Ireland." Anybody any comments on this?

spanishflea
30th Sep 2006, 23:33
BHDflyer

Consult ANY other thread about BACON on these forums and elsewhere, and match the general consensus to this strategic decision.

jongeman
1st Oct 2006, 00:41
BHDflyer

If you look at the timings of BE and BA on BHD-MAN, BE depart at 0645 and 1020, and BA are probably trying to capitalise on the more civilised departure time between these two. There are obviously insufficient passengers to warrant 0645 and 0655 departures. It could also be that CO at BFS have dented BHD-MAN-JFK passenger figures, for example.

Also, given that BE's last departure is 1905, BA possibly want to offer a slightly later time. Many returning business passengers to MAN will have travelled from Newry and Armagh etc. There are all kinds of reasons.

spanishflea

There isn't a general consensus on BA BHD-MAN. I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else for a while.

spanishflea
1st Oct 2006, 13:23
I was referring to the more broader consensus on the strategic direction of BACON, not specifically the MAN-BHD route.

SKY's4ME
2nd Oct 2006, 10:16
What other EZY routes to be announced from Belfast rumour is strong that further expansion to contnue out of BFS! Including increasing of frequency on current route structure. Boom time for BFS could this base follow in the foot steps of their sucessfull BRS base??

ryanair1
2nd Oct 2006, 20:20
I heard that easyJet want to launch BFS to BOH (Bournemouth) but only 4 times per week.

Johnny F@rt Pants
6th Oct 2006, 14:22
6 new routes announced today from BFS, they are IBZ, PMI, AGP, TLS, PSA, BGY.:D

Charlie Roy
6th Oct 2006, 15:34
Great news for BELFAST :ok:
Looks like you guys are going to get your Milan route after all then ;)

(I wonder now what routes Easyjet have up their sleeves apart from Krakow?)

RT_060590
6th Oct 2006, 16:01
perhaps we'll actually get cheap "low cost" flights to AGP now!:}

Spotter McS
6th Oct 2006, 16:44
Jet2 Not to be outdone by recent expansions by others

http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news.asp?id=297

What next?

Happy landings:D
Spotter.

True Blue
7th Oct 2006, 19:45
Although I'm very happy with the Jet2 expansion, I wish they had gone for international routes not already served from Bfs.

See that Flybe have reduced Abz services in the winter to 5pw and Ncl, which was to be 2 daily, now 1 daily.

Did anyone notice the article in the Belfast Telegraph on Bfs in the business section? They stated that they have been talking to Aer Lingus about starting a Bfs to Lhr service. How will that effect Bd if it comes off? Getting slots at Lhr might happen, although we have heard for years that Lhr is full, it keeps on expanding with both existing airlines and new ones. For the article follow this link http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/business/story.jsp?story=708574

Next year could be very interesting.

True Blue

True Blue
8th Oct 2006, 20:12
See from the Caa stats that there were just 3k less pax on the Lgw route than Lhr. With the recent increase in frequency from Easy and maybe more to come, how long will it be before Lgw is the main connection to London from Belfast? I refer to August stats. Who would have thought that a few years back? Bd must have serious concerns about the Lhr route when you look at the rate that the pax numbers are falling.

True Blue

richardnei
9th Oct 2006, 21:51
With all the recent announements by Jet2/Easyjet/Wizz/Globespan of new routes, more flights and extra aircraft, BFS needs to start some major building work over the winter to be able to accomodate these new services.

An extended check-in hall and extra gates/stands are needed or we could be checking in flights outside the terminal.

Any thoughts

Richard

Danmadole
12th Oct 2006, 11:57
Tend to agree. There isn't really a lot of space for extra services in BFS terminal. Its only a matter of time before the 2nd terminal plans are put into action. I suspect some sort of temporary accommodation may be on the cards for check-in before too long.
Mind you, Easyjet haven't yet really "expanded". I dont think one rotation to Krakow will warrant another based aircraft, more likely relocation from another downgraded route - Perhaps their "further announcements" will change that. My money is on Madrid, Budapest or somewhere in Germany (one of Munich/Cologne/Hamburg).

NWSRG
12th Oct 2006, 17:08
I'm sure I'm wrong but...

...did I see a FlyBe E195 land at BHD today about 4pm?

BFS/BHD
12th Oct 2006, 17:12
NWSRG

You sure did!! Operates the BE410/411 most days now.

omoko joe
12th Oct 2006, 18:15
easyjet's time in BFS has passed. Sources indicate there are no new aircraft, least of all buses and that the KRK is purely a rehash of the schedule. Any expansion is to be driven by non-based airframes. With the addition of Jet2's 757, soon they will have as many seats available as easyjet. In essence who really cares? The routes are now proven. If the orange empire were ever to retreat towards Luton, somebody else will take their place in BFS.

BHDflyer
12th Oct 2006, 20:01
You sure did!! Operates the BE410/411 most days now.

When the 146 goes i'd say BHD will see alot of the flybe E195 on routes like BHX, LGW, MAN and possibly even EDI and GLA (there's competition for easyjet now!). I know this seems a bit of an out-of-the-blue question, but would this maybe mean an airbridge facility could be constructed at BHD?:hmm:

EGAC_Ramper
12th Oct 2006, 20:32
BHDflyer

With the demise of the 146 BHD will get 2 based E195's eventually however when they will be allocated to BHD is another matter I cannot answer. As for air bridges I'd doubt this highly as these cost, precisely the reason why Ryanair and Easyjet for example don't use such items of luxury.

Regards :ok:

RT_060590
12th Oct 2006, 21:58
What is the maximum range out of BHD in comparrison with the 146? Any chance of Euro routes?:}

True Blue
15th Oct 2006, 16:00
It is a number of years now since we have had a direct service to Belgium. What is the problem with this route, is it lack of demand? Why has no Lcc tried it and would say, a daily service with a Lcc work? Would Jet2 have been better to try Bru as opposed to competing with easy on existing routes to Spain?

True Blue