PDA

View Full Version : Different logbooks?

buckhenry212
11th Oct 2005, 12:40
Hi People

Those of you dual rated! Do you keep separate logbooks for helo and FW or just one?

Thanks...Buck

VeeAny
11th Oct 2005, 12:49
Used to keep two written, now just one electronic which splits it all up for me !

V.

TheFlyingSquirrel
11th Oct 2005, 13:16
Watch out if VeeAny tries to flog you and dodgy software !:p Have one dusty FW book, somewhere, and a seperate Helo book - now you must decide if you want to keep t/o and landing times too and log hours in decimal or minutes !

VeeAny
11th Oct 2005, 13:59
TFS

I resemble that remark.

V.

RobboRider
11th Oct 2005, 14:08
I've just started flying planks after about eight years of only flying real flying machines. Started keeping the two types in the one log book in order of date but within a couple of months I have already wished I started them out separate.

The FW instructors wanted a look at my book for filling in the licence applications etc - turned into a pain cos they wanted just the FW hours and data and it was mixed in with the helicopter bits and pieces. I had to go home, sit down with a spread sheet and separate them out so they could have a copy of the separated hours.

If you are in the same situation then start out with them in a separate logbook and life won't get messy.

N Arslow
11th Oct 2005, 14:18
Concur with the last. I have kept one log book and over too many years have acquired reasonable hours in both. Every job application (never mind just the Belgrano) seem to want a different breakdown of those hours. And every time it is a nightmare. A few more non-flying shifts and I might build a spreadsheet and start the long process of recreating an all new electronic record... no I can't imagine being that bored. Go two or do electronic from the outset is my suggestion.

cl12pv2s
11th Oct 2005, 15:34
The only way to go is to have a computer logbook. A good one will be able to parse all the information in a variety of ways and print out summaries and reports as you need them.

I have written my own logbook on Access and VB. It does everything I need it to do, and if it doesn't I just write in another module. I link it to my company required records (flight roster etc), recurrency tracking and other things too.

There are some good commercial logbooks (try a search SafeLog - can I do that on here!?), but they just don't do everything I want.

Of couse, authorities and employers also like to see a traditional 'paper logbook' too. This can be a hastle. For example, different authorities log time differently. 1 hr 55 mins or 1.9hrs, P1(US) or Dual / PIC, etc..etc..

My logbooks are: 1 main logbook (all flights in all types). 1 FAA style, and 1 JAA style (I'm required to keep both!).

I simply enter the details once into my computer, and it sends the information to equivelent 'computer' logbooks. Then I just copy the number into the relevent paper books. All the flights are assigned a numerical 'primary key' so I can cross-reference, search and sort the data.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

cl12pv2s

buckhenry212
11th Oct 2005, 15:39
Problem I'm facing is I'm getting a foreign validation , they want things like landings per day, icao identifiers or the full name of the LZ's..how many times a day did you land on the last seismic gig? I've narrowed it down to between a sh*tload and beaucoup!

they don't like my entries such as...sheep fire to goat fire...want me to define the Tkof and Lnd site....I tried the give a better description a few minutes ago..came out like this...

grassyknollbehindthemotelinmountainhomeidahotothemesaabout11 nmsswofprairieidaho....

Just managed to squeeze it into the to and from columns...Hope they'll be happier now ...

Also the comment was that I shouldn't have FW in with the Helo. That they should be separate books or separate part of the same books....Never heard this before!

Thanks...Buck

Whirlybird
11th Oct 2005, 17:00
I've had two from the start, but sometimes I wish I had them all together. I reckon you could do it if you could get a big enough book, with enough columns, to log all the hours but separate them out into f/w and helo as well. Jeppesen do a good one, if you re-labelled the columns it might work; might try it....

George Semel
11th Oct 2005, 20:17
I'm dual rated and have been so since I made the transisition from airplanes to helicopters back in 1982. I keep just one logbook. All you have to do is keep you application break downs current, I do it once a month. I keep all my employment application information on a Word Doc. I update it as needed. This way you just fill in the application, because you have all the information printed. When ever I do an employment applicaiton, I make a copy of it, and it gets filled.

Floppy Link
12th Oct 2005, 16:40
One log book.
Fixed wing in Black ink
Rotary wing in Blue ink

Entries in the two colours when the columns are added up and carried forward.
After 8500hrs it still works.
Except it's not "one" logbook any more...