PDA

View Full Version : Prospective Pilot Killed at Military Academy

Gunship
11th Oct 2005, 05:57
Only in the new SANDF ... :}

We did things a bit differently 20 years ago at the Military Academy ... :E

Cape Town - A student at the Military Academy in Saldanha stabbed a prospective air force pilot to death at the weekend and then hanged himself in police cells.

The runup to the weekend's events apparently began about two weeks ago when an army student was stabbed with a broken bottle during an argument at a shebeen near the academy.

He almost lost his eye in the stabbing and was treated for several days in 2 Military Hospital in Cape Town before being discharged last week.

On Saturday night he apparently went to look for the people who'd stabbed him with the bottle when he ran into the air force student in a shebeen nearby.

Police spokesperson Superintendent Billy Jones said on Monday Ayanda Maliti, 22, died about 02:15 on Sunday after an argument at a shebeen in the White City suburb of Saldanha

''The deceased and another man had an argument. They went outside and the other man stabbed Maliti four times in the chest with a knife.

Blanket of total secrecy

''Police members later arrested Everton Masango, 21, in Vredenburg in connection with the murder. They locked him up in the police cells there. Officers found him dead at 19:00.''

Jones said Masango was being detained alone in a cell and when police officers did a routine inspection half an hour earlier, he'd still been alive.

''When they went to give him food later, they found him. Apparently he'd used a piece of his tracksuit jacket to hang himself from the grid in front of the ventilation opening,'' Jones said.

It appears no one could explain the weekend's suicide since the air force student hadn't been near the shebeen where the first stabbing took place.

Fellow students said a blanket of total secrecy had been thrown over the two events. The academy's management apparently did nothing after the first event. By Monday afternoon management had still not spoken to students about the weekend's events.

Some of the students told Beeld on Monday the incident was typical of the discipline that was getting worse by the day at the institution.

Allegations of racism, violence at academy

Allegations of tension, racial disharmony and discrimination at the academy were made more than a year ago. The defence department launched an investigation about a year ago into allegations of racism and violence at the institution.

The findings of that investigation have not yet been made known. Staff members said the situation hadn't improved in the slightest since the two investigations; instead it had worsened.

Defence force spokesperson Major Vivian Petrus said on Monday afternoon in reaction to the suicide the department of defence deplored the events.

Minister of Defence Mosiuoa Lekota said without prejudging the results of the police investigation that members of the defence force were expected to behave irreproachably as role models for the country's youth.

Putcodrvr
11th Oct 2005, 07:10
This is so sad. As an ex- Mil Academy graduate it is dissappointing to see how things are deteriorating! My memories of the 3 years as a student in saldanha are all good clean student fun times!

Irene
11th Oct 2005, 07:14
Now we will watch innapropriately appointed government officials "launch investigations" into the behaviour of innapropriately selected candidates. May they suffer in their own system!

God forbid this country ever suffers a military invasion.

Gunship
11th Oct 2005, 07:59
My Quick Degree course at the Akadeem will be remembered for good but clean fun like clearing Brandewynbaai of any llegal crayfish that might enter :E

Seriously : I can just imagine the type of person they choose these days as a Mil Academy student.

The guys that I have been with and made it - most made it big time in flying / business and life. :ok:

Welcome to PPRUNE Irene :D

Jungle_Jeppie
11th Oct 2005, 08:50
As always, "it's not our fault - it's racism and discrimination" :yuk:

Updraught
11th Oct 2005, 11:42
Guns, you talk of 20 years ago. Now you must know what I think of this whole episode having been at the Akadeem 35 years ago. We still had the "Aand van die lang slap latte", inaugoration at Brandewynbaai et al. Soooooo sad.:{ :{

Gunship
11th Oct 2005, 19:40
Sjees Updraught - you are an uncle ou maat :D

I pressume you where one of the guys that had to go there before flying like AJ Botha / Slinger Swarts and so on ?

They are about from that generation ?

I was there after 7 years in the force - senior captain.

Waaayyyyy to late in my career and it was luckily not a waist of time as I saw there IS life after flying and much better to live in the Kaap than in Gautengeleng :ok:

When the money boat arrives I will buy a house at jacobsbaai - just live the place !

In the mean time back to the thread.

Menigte on my course kotzed at Brandewynbaai - menigte :ok:

take care out there

Gunsss

Irene
12th Oct 2005, 06:26
Thanks Gunship:D

Gunship
12th Oct 2005, 06:31
Plesier ... did you like the Kotz part ?

PS: you old foke remeber Colonel Kotze ?

he was a great guy .. wonder if he is still alive and old Tankard and the old oom that gave us Publieke Administrasie ?

Good old days ... sadly I had too much fun and had a quick degree :D

Putcodrvr
12th Oct 2005, 08:35
Mil Akad Memoirs!!:D Those were the days!!
Col. Kotze Geography (The one with the photographic memory. Could recite verbatim from the text books, 1st thru 3rd year!) Still there and as sharp as a minora blade. At our 21st re-union greeted all by first names!Was the Dean until recently.
Col Kotze. Maths. Still there.
Col tankard Still there.
Col Van Tromp Mil. Law ++ Only passed 1st year law on my 3rd attempt and only because I was playing 1st team rugby!
Col Jan Kirsten Public Admin. Retired and Mayor of Velddrif until a few years ago. Also only passed PA due to rugby skills. :cool:
Lang slap lat- initiation.
My Oupa(3rd year) and Mother(2nd Year one of only 3 pongo females to be allowed in to study!Oupa being the horny old goat, didn't take a son!)They made me recite my ancestors up to 6 generations, Rank and current unit, before I was klapped with the sword at the gun battery on "the kop".
Kotzed(sic) all the way from brandewyn baai to Rocky point! Due to regular refuelling intervals fed warm OBS and rum mixture!
Air Force guys had to fly the Vampire on the parade ground and rest had to ride the torpedo! And if you fell off, you were severley punished by having to take a bite out of the vrot piece of shark that you had been carrying with all day. after 'kotzing again! :ooh: " more refuelling!
At least 1 car rolled per weekend on the road to Paternoster hotel and 1 fight a night at Saldanha hotel. Banned for 6 months after getting Thundered by a visserman for dancing :ouch: with his wife......
Going to use my lotto money to buy a house at Tieties baai.

Horace Blok
12th Oct 2005, 15:17
Shambolical!! . . . . & we are powerless to make a difference!

But the memories posted later in the thread:ok:

Gunship
28th Oct 2005, 14:30
Putcodrvr - great memories you brought up there ...

Our whole year group met Col Kotze - 50 - 70 of us.

Just a "good morning Colonel my name is Dosie Petoorsie from 16 Sqn Durbs and I fly desks if I do not fly Putco's" if yah know what I mean :E

Anyway back in the classroom a few days later... he remebered EVERY .. EVERY name ... damn I could not even remeber HIS surname !

We then started geography and he did his favourite trick (over many years).

NOTHING in front of him .. he will say leave out pages 1 to 21 - I will come back to that. Go to page 22, paragraph 2, line 4 and he will reside the line.

Ok turn the page on page 23 para 3 - ....

This will continue untill the whole class are looking at the back for some secret projector.

Only the quick learners saw he WROTE the book :ok::ok:

My promise : Going on leave next week and I am going to look him up !

Cheers and tx for the memories !

Gunsss

ANVAK
29th Oct 2005, 09:18
Hey Horace! Where are you these days boet?