PDA

View Full Version : Terminal 5

apaddyinuk
11th Oct 2005, 02:54
With all the talk of T5 (LHR) opening in as little as 2 1/2 years it got me thinking.
Most of you may know that it is initially opening with only one satelite as the other will not open for a few more years. BA intend on moving all their operations under the T5 roof immediately with shorthaul operations using the main terminal building and Longhaul operations using the satelite.
However, does anybody know what OTHER airlines will be using T5. Many assume that ONEworld airlines intend on using t5 as a hub however I find it hard to believe that in its initial opening phase it will be able to accomodate all of BA and AA's large operation, EI's frequent turnarounds, IB's spanish network, Finnairs regular flights, Cathays four flights a day, Qantas long turnarounds and Malevs couple of flights all together!!!
Perhaps someone in the know can enlighten us?

egnxema
11th Oct 2005, 06:50
British Airways are having the whole of T5 to themselves, and their current operations only just fit. There is not much room to start moving anyone else in, and definately no way allof Oneworld could operate out of any single terminal at LHR.

Simon Calder - a brilliant travel writer - did a good report on T5 in the Independant Travel Supplement a few weeks ago.

Globaliser
11th Oct 2005, 08:56
No insider knowledge here, but stuff picked up from all over plus own observation: Assuming that the BA/QF relationship remains the same as it is now, I imagine that QF would have to go into T5 as well. But considering the rumours that even the current BA operation won't completely fit into T5, I wouldn't have thought there'd be room for anyone else.

Jordan D
11th Oct 2005, 09:34
I read on another thread elsewhere on this site (that I can't find right now) that BA would be joined by QF only in T5.

Everyone else follows other rules .... *goes to find other thread*

Jordan

KiloMIke
11th Oct 2005, 11:23
I thought the plan was something along these lines:

T1 - Star Alliance

T2 - Skyteam

T3 - Oneworld (except BA)

T4 - Non alligned carriers

T5 - BA

I believe BAA are still negotiating with some airlines to move from T3 to T4.

Think some of the problem is T3 is possibly the only terminal with A380 stand being prepared now.

Railgun
11th Oct 2005, 11:46
QF will not be moving to T5 it is going to be a BA only terminal. Silly really as they shud move QF in with them.

kutereba
11th Oct 2005, 14:43
so qf wont be able to move to t5 will they

if t3 is the only terminal which can accomodate a380's then qf are going to have to either be moved to or remain at t3 inc mh qr sq vs etc

crewrest
11th Oct 2005, 15:12
Here's the Simon Calder Article Clicky (http://travel.independent.co.uk/uk/article313109.ece)

apaddyinuk
11th Oct 2005, 15:19
I personally would be surprised if QF did not move acorss regardless as BA do their handeling and the flights are operated as one airline almost. I cannot see BA wanting to keep a dedicated team of groundstaff in another terminal when T5 opens as it defeats the purpose!!!
BA also handle Finnair so perhaps they too will have to transfer!

Railgun
11th Oct 2005, 16:13
T5 is not big enough for BA, QF and AY its as simple as that. Bit like how BA have the miami from T3 at the min as there is no space in T1/T4 for it.

When Rod Eddington was asked about it at OOF he said its just going to be BA.

MarkD
11th Oct 2005, 18:16
I thought the T3 thing was so BA had a seat on the terminal committee...

apaddyinuk
12th Oct 2005, 03:11
Mark D,
Your correct, that is exactly why BA are still in T3 with only a twice daily flight! There is room for it in T1 but by keeping a route in T3 BA get to have a say about the developments of the terminal!!!!

WHBM
12th Oct 2005, 05:49
This discussion brings out another of the nonsenses about codeshares.

Even at present, if someone says for example they are arriving on BA 7064 from Madrid, if you don't know the detail of aviation you can go to Terminal 1 to meet them, only to find it is in reality a codeshare on Iberia arriving at a different terminal. At least at present Finnair and Aer Lingus, both of whom have BA codeshares on every flight, are in the same terminal. If this changes, they will all have many more confused passengers.

Always remember sitting in Finnair at Heathrow one morning, couple next to me commenting to each other on how "BA had changed their uniforms", and they "must have a crew base over in Finland ...". They were of course on BA tickets, checked in at BA in T1, saw a BA flight number at the gate, had boarded by jetway and not seen the aircraft livery, just didn't understand the aviationspeak on the aircraft PA about "welcoming our Oneworld partners...." - I think they could have got through to Helsinki without realising if I han't talked to them.

egnxema
12th Oct 2005, 07:32
VS are replanning their area at T3 - the only terminal to have A380 gates in time.

VS aim to make their terminal experience "more intimate" (look fwd to that then:D ) by reducing the distance from check-in to gate (oh:( )

apaddyinuk
20th Oct 2005, 23:31
Well Just as I thought despite what others have suggested on this thread, in this months edition of Business Traveller Magazine, Qantas and BA have confirmed that they will operate their joint services out of T5, it also suggests BUT NOT CONFIRM that all the other Oneworld airlines will go to a specially refitted T3 so that they are closer to T5 for transfers! BA will have a presence in T3 to assist transfers to its codeshared IB,EI,AY flights!

Globaliser
21st Oct 2005, 10:39
apaddyinuk: Well Just as I thought despite what others have suggested on this thread, in this months edition of Business Traveller Magazine, Qantas and BA have confirmed that they will operate their joint services out of T5Thanks for posting that.

The contrary was simply unimaginable. It seems to me that anyone who thinks that QF could sensibly operate from a different terminal from BA has little idea of how deep the BA/QF relationship really is.