PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Windows MediaPlayer

Hussar 54
10th Oct 2005, 23:44
Any ideas why ?

When I run MediaPlayer on Internet Sites, the thing works OK for several mpeg 'clicks' and then locks up....CPU Indicator shows 100% and the system hangs on ' Connecting '

When I change to TaskManager and close MediaPlayer, I get the 'Error Reporting Message' and send it off, but then nothing back from Microsoft.

I have tried redownloading MP10Set-Up a couple of times but still no luck.

Thanks for advice.

Keef
10th Oct 2005, 23:54
When I change to TaskManager and close MediaPlayer, I get the 'Error Reporting Message' and send it off, but then nothing back from Microsoft.

They never do. I don't think those reports go anywhere useful.

If you go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer - System you may see an error message telling you what went wrong. It may or may not be helpful, but checking that error message via Google or via here might reveal more about the problem.

When you redownloaded it, did you remove the old copy first, and restart the machine? That might (I stress might, not will) sort it.

terrain safe
11th Oct 2005, 08:19
I think, and I sit here to be corrected, that media player 10 cannot be uninstalled and this is a major problem. Some films that I have downloaded play in odd colours, they look like CGA(anyone remember that?) but the next is fine. Don't know why so I gave up. Sorry can't be of more assistance but I do suggest you look for a media player replacement somewhere on the Internet.

DeepC
11th Oct 2005, 11:34
I rolled back WMP10 no problem. Can't remember how I did it! Sorry.

DeepC

Conan the Librarian
11th Oct 2005, 15:18
There are bucketloads of free and quite capable media players out there. Maybe, much nearer home than you think.

If you have ever installed a CD ROM drive, DVD, soundcard and many other odds and sods, you might already have more than one on your machine. Have a poke around in Explorer and I reckon it is evens that you will find one that was bundled with another program or hardware component.

Conan

Hussar 54
12th Oct 2005, 09:34
Many thanks...

Ran the Event query and received a reply that the MediaPlayer needed a '' Time Reference from W32Time and NtpClient '' and presumably in the absence of one or the other '' no attempt to contact the source will be made for another 14 minutes ''

Presumably each 'click' just aggravates the problem.....

Far too complicated for a TechnoDinosaur like myself, so have taken your advice and downloaded WinAmp which seems to be working fine.

Again, many thanks

Sultan Ismail
13th Oct 2005, 01:54
Seeking help on VCD and DVD.

Last weekend took the plunge and bought an IBM Thinkpad, with all the bells and whistles, all appears ok except the Windows Media Player.

I tried an original VCD, first without the WMP, hoping for an autostart or whatever, it came up with the query that the file was *.dat and which programme did I wish to use, selected WMP and then it went to a search mode ( or so it sounded) on the VCD/DVD disc drive, after 10 minutes nothing had happened, then began the fun of trying to turn off WMP, I picked up similar problems to those mentioned in earlier posts.

Eventually the WMP shut down, but I had to turn off the computer and restart before I could retrieve the disc from the drive.

I then tried a DVD, this time it came up with an "InterDVD" player logo and would I like to use this player for my DVD's, seemed a good idea so selected it and it then played, however the quality was crap, much better on the Playstation2.

Any advice out there and should I also look for another player on the web?

On the plus side this was my first venture into Wi-Fi and I am impressed, going from a 28,8Kb modem connection to a 54Mbps wireless connection is a quantum leap, and it's FREE courtesy of my condo management.

Finally, thank you for all the interesting and informed comment on this forum.