Sonic Zepplin
10th Oct 2005, 23:42
I did the interview 3 weeks ago

10 minutes and that was it, pay is pathetic, walked away,

1 month ago pay was average and worth the trip today it is laughable

744 is a nice plane but not that nice

tailets
11th Oct 2005, 01:31
so what is the pay now? and what about the bond?

the contract conditions seem to be getting worse every 6 months and yet they need the manpower.

and you're right, don't chase the airplane chase the company.

dai chon doi
12th Oct 2005, 01:41
you think its bad there, you should look at EVA. You'd be amazed, people still come for the new conditions which are incidently much worse now days. But most just come for the experience with plans to move on asap. Taiwan at the moment is just like a huge training ground for other airlines.

International Trader
12th Oct 2005, 03:04
I don't think Taiwan training holds much weight outside of Taiwan, and with good reason. There isn't any training. This is because those that are supposed to train you don't know anything.
The whole mess starts at the top.
Incompetents who hide their lack of ability by employing even less competent people beneath them.That way, there are no questions. Those beneath, hold their positions by kissing ar-e to those above. By the time it gets down to the poor Taiwanese who joins from scratch, there is no hope.
Four years later ( after sleeping half his life away and with no real training) this poor fool is let loose around the world. His fault, .....don't think so.
If something goes wrong that they can't cover up ( or blame on an expat) , they will send him to the slaughter. Then everything is normal again because someone has paid ...the penalty.
This is a fact, look at the endless list of incidents. These guys have more hits than Elvis.
The local pilots want to get out as well.They can't because of the bond. Probably for the better as most probably wouldn't pass a sim check ride at an interview anyway .

Mind you , have seen some expats arrive from distant corners of the world with supposed qualifications that just aren't backed up by skills in the cockpit. Pretty dubious . Pity because they bring down the rest.

ROC licence/endorsement is not held in any great regard.....anywhere.

cruiser101
12th Oct 2005, 09:10
:\
To top this off, beware CAL doesn't pay its retirement benefits as per the contract.
You leave the job without completing 15 years of service and turning 55 or turning at least 60 (continuous service, no failures, no unscheduled breaks, pray your contract period is renewed by CAL)- you never see your retirement benefit. So for the young finishing before the above time....zilch, even if you do 20 years of service.

This is a job for those near 60yrs, as so many are.

Good luck.

AAIGUY
13th Oct 2005, 08:37
Pay was in the $4300 USD a month range 6 months ago when I walked away. I undersatnd that it has been further "enhanced" ie lowered.