PDA

View Full Version : Experience/age

Robert Langdon
10th Oct 2005, 22:44
Recently missed out on an o/s airline job cause "Experience commensurate with age" was not enough.
Would this be illegal in Oz, and if not, why?

Stiff Under Carriage
10th Oct 2005, 22:53
Surely you could find the answer to that yourself.

HINT: It is hidden in Da Vinci's Mona Lisa.

;)

Robert Langdon
10th Oct 2005, 23:13
Well I do know that age discrimination is illegal in Australia.
So does this mean any aspect of age/job placement falls under this umbrella?

Farcome
10th Oct 2005, 23:18
Robert

Yes, 'experience commensurate with age' is illegal in Australia. Thats why Qantas use the term 'not competitve enough' which has a broader meaning. Any discrimination with reference to age with regards to almost anything in Australia is illegal.

One exception I can think of is health insurance premiums, which in my opinion stinks. Thank little Johnny for that.

404 Titan
11th Oct 2005, 00:20
This has been done to death before on this forum. Discrimination based solely on age is illegal. If you want someone that has a certain amount of experience by a certain age then it isn't. I do remember a court case ruling this way a number of years ago but can't remember the specifics. By the way if the airline that interviewed you overseas is the airline I think it is did they interview you or just send you a letter after you applied to tell you this?

Robert Langdon
11th Oct 2005, 00:27
Ah yes, I'd best clarify, it was a letter of rejection. However I thought turbo experience would make me "competitive".

I'm new to the forum and have just found the wonders of the "search function".

Cheers for the replies.