PDA

View Full Version : JAR-OPS - e' say no...?

Daifly
13th Jan 2000, 03:14
Is it true that the CAA are about to announce that JAR-OPS for Heli Ops is going to be abandoned?

I heard from an Air Ambulance Pilot flying for quite a large company who was reporting what the CP had told him.

Any comments/denials/confirmations greatfully received!

barsandstars
13th Jan 2000, 05:32
Be careful, we all know what a helicopter can do.
If you fly over land or water, at the end of the day, if you cock-up somebody is going to try and get millions off you.
We are very fortunate in having a rover that can save lives, but I'm always aware in my decisions now that solicitor X could bunkrupt me.
Have helicopter, will travel... it used to be the way, but be wary my friend of the men in suits.

Skycop
13th Jan 2000, 16:28
I sincerely hope not, after all the effort we've put in to comply within the timescale!!

barsandstars
14th Jan 2000, 03:14
Just to re=qualify.
Jar ops is not there to hinder your work, and certainly not an arbritary figure brought out of the blue.
In fact, it may save your life, as it gives you rules and regs on operating your helicopter, which still allows us (strangely) to fly around in 800m.
The bottom line basically is our get out of jail clause 'saving of life'. There is no need to break your ass if someone has a broken bone, so don't bust the limits, and take any new regulations in with a warming hand.

Daifly
14th Jan 2000, 03:53
I wasn't making any derogatory comments about JAR-OPS at all. I worked for a fixed wing operator and had a fair bit to do with rewriting the Ops Manual to comply with JAR.

I was merely intrigued to hear that it was to be dropped for Helicopters.

Bars and Stars, I'm afraid you rather lost me in your posts there....

PurplePitot
14th Jan 2000, 04:37
Me too, What are you guys on????

barsandstars
16th Jan 2000, 08:14
Sorry guys, next time I'll read the bloody message.
In the meantime I've accepted a 6 month tour with Koreans on a tuna boat (as bad chaps do).