PDA

View Full Version : Powerchecks...

Aser
9th Oct 2005, 17:31
Hi,

1 How do you do the power checks?

A) light on the skis?
B) hovering if necessary, to be near the limits?

I know the procedure but I would like to know if anyone thinks that it's better to do it near the OEI limits.

EDITED: I'm thinking in the 412 but it isn't a specific question.

Thanks.
Aser

Woolf
9th Oct 2005, 18:51
What Aircraft type? :confused:

Spacer
10th Oct 2005, 16:24
Apologies for any errors, but this may help for 412:

Done below limits (at 55% Eng Tq) and then checked against graph. Although, I think its acceptable to pull to limit (N1/ITT) and record everything else. May become a problem if you are at busy area, and climbing rapidly :)

Edited: Presumably you mean PACs?

SASless
10th Oct 2005, 16:29
Power Trend Checks, Topping Checks, Power Availability Checks?

The RFM for the 412 has a procedure for doing Power Assurance Checks...the maintenance manual has the procedure for the topping checks...there are several field expedient checks for determining power actually available for pinnacle landings, etc.....which one you looking for?

Aser.....mighty nice Co-Pilot you had with you at Heli-Tech...way too nice for you!;)

Aser
10th Oct 2005, 17:19
I mean Power Assurance Checks.
I've seen pilots doing it just getting the heli light on the skis then write everything , but another said he prefer to do it by pulling just NEAR the limits , but not reaching it.
I just wanted to hear more comments.

How often is a topping check done?

Sasless: I know the RFM but what do you mean with "field expedient checks" :confused:
Thanks for the comments on the co-pilot , I will post some pics on the huey thread.

Best regards.
Aser

Spacer
10th Oct 2005, 17:36
AFAIK you can do it either way... its all just checked against the graph, so its whether you want to come in at the bottom or the side....:)

StickyBill
10th Oct 2005, 17:58
The Power Assurance Check is used to track the trend of an engine over time and requires you to apply power until the target Q, based on the current temp and PA, is achieved (OEI) . Usually you will be light on the skids because the target Q is in the region of 40-50% but you can also do this in flight (I don't recommend it though). The AFM describes the procedure clearly and also says that you should do a PAC daily. We do them every 25 hours.

The engine topping check requires you to fly OEI and pull power until a limit is reached (Q, N1, or ITT, whichever comes first). Should be done when an engine or engine component has been changed (governor, etc...). I always do them on contract when I take over a machine to ensure that, when I need it, full OEI power will be available.

ENG Brit
12th Oct 2005, 20:10
PAC in our B430 is whilst on the ground, pull 93% N1 AND min Q of 50%.

Definately light on the wheels at this point and thinks about getting airbourne on windy days and when not much gas in the tank.
Hence PF always on the controls while the PNF jots the numbers.

Every 10 hrs per our maintenence ops.

oldbeefer
13th Oct 2005, 12:59
412 PAC - best done at 55% Tq - puts the ITT into the expanded scale (>700deg) and is therefore more accurate. We no longer top out the engines (as was done on the 212) but insert a part-power stop. If, with that fitted, the N1 reads 92 - 92.8 when the Nr droops, the engine power is as it should be (Bell says).

Aser
13th Oct 2005, 14:02
oldbeefer: could you explain how works the "part-power stop" ?

Thanks.

but insert a part-power stop. If, with that fitted, the N1 reads 92 - 92.8 when the Nr droops, the engine power is as it should be (Bell says).

212man
13th Oct 2005, 23:44
Aser,
little bit rusty on 212/412 AFCUs now, but as I recall, the topping adjustment is accomplished by moving a cam on the AFCU assembly, which then determines how far a mechanical arm attached to the throttle can move. To carry out topping checks without the need to get airborne, and to conserve engine life, it is possible to insert a bush of sorts (the part power stop) to this cam assembly, that limits the movement of the arm even further. The theory is that if you can achieve 92-92.8% g with this 'obstruction' in place, with it removed you should be able to achieve the normal topping figures (102.4 etc depending on the engine series).

In effect, this achieves much the same result as the means by which OEI training is carried out; a throttle is backed off to reduce the topping value and then frictioned tightly to prevent inadvertent movement while the other throttle is then used for simulating failures.