PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool & Tutor

alexmac
9th Oct 2005, 17:02
Sorry for open post but went flying with 10 AEF Woodvale today and pilot I was flying with wanted a photo of Liver Buildings - not sure if the photo I took on camera worked so if not, and he's on here - here's how mine turned out:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/alexmac88/Liver.jpg

Excellent flight - lots of photos and interesting half hour 'sight seeing' !

On another note - have read with interest the UAS topic and was talking to one of the guys today, flying places for cadets, which are already fairly difficult to get hold of as a squadron, will be even more difficult to get hold of. With the UAS's going to two locations in the UK (so we've heard) will the AEF's go with them. If so will cadets then have to; travel to those locations or give up flying altogether? Locally we have 10 AEF at Woodvale and 631 VGS at Sealand. Gliding is going and if AEF goes or is reduced, cadets will loose interest and we will find it difficult to recruit new cadets. How many current RAF Pilots were once in the ATC and attracted by the thought of flying....

Crashed&Burned
9th Oct 2005, 17:18
My thoughts exactly although everyone in the UAS thread tells me that AEFs are going to be doing more. Don't get it myself.

Good photo.

C&B

handysnaks
9th Oct 2005, 17:34
I think you'll find that the UAS's are not going anywhere, and hence the AEF's will be staying put too.

alexmac
9th Oct 2005, 17:43
From what I read somewhere;

Following a review with the UAS and ATC, the following airfields will no longer be used for University Air Squadron Elementary Flying Training: RAF Benson, RAF Cosford, RAF Leuchars, Colerne, RAF Leeming, Glasgow Airport, Boscombe Down, RAF Woodvale and RAF St Athan.
RAF Cranwell will see a slight reduction in flying, due to a reduction in instructor training, while RAF Wyton and RAF Church Fenton will see some increase due to the establishment of new training squadrons to meet the elementary flying training task.
The ATC review will be made when the commons returns.

That indicates that the UAS's will move into two units at Wyton & Church Fenton ? :confused: confused!

Postman Plod
9th Oct 2005, 17:58
No, that indicates that Elementary Flying Training will not be held at these airfields - they dont say that the UAS's will close, just that they will purely be catering for UAS flying, not EFT. EFT is being concentrated at Wyton and Church Fenton.

Therefore AEF availability should increase not decrease as the pressure is taken off the UAS's to provide EFT training.

As for gliding going, thats a new one on me? Care to expand on it? Thought gliding was likely to expand slightly if anything?

alexmac
9th Oct 2005, 18:15
That makes sense - thanks Postman Plod. Do I take it by that the EFT's are currently done at the individual airfields and they are trying to centralize these into two locations?

As for gliding - not reducing as a whole; just Sealand closing means 631 VGS have no where to go. I think the future is still being debated and plots of land in the area are being inspected for possible purchase.

Must say I prefer AEF to gliding, the Viking is too quiet for my liking!

:ok:

Phil_McCrevis
9th Oct 2005, 18:30
Surely if u don't have an engine the only option open to you is a controlled crash.

All air cadets fear not. The AEF quoter has actually increased and cadet sorties are now a nominal 25 mins instead of 20. The changes are good news for you guys.

I'm glad your man enjoyed his trip!