PDA

View Full Version : Sync of e mails on 2 networked computers

roach
9th Oct 2005, 16:31
Hope someone can advise me if it is possible to sync e-mail messages between two networked PCs. If I download on Pc 1 and then move to PC 2 is it possible to display the same messages on both? I know this can be done with files through the briefcase but can't figure a way with e mails.

Thanks in advance

Roach

Mac the Knife
9th Oct 2005, 17:10
No, this can't be done. The subject has come up in several threads before.

The only things you can do are:

i) Designate one of the PCs as the "Master" and all the others as "Slave"

ii) Let the "Slaves" download but always leave a copy of the messages on the server. Only the "Master" can download and remove from the server.

iii) Make sure that all the emails sent from each PC is always forwarded to the others.

The real answer is to be on a domain where each PC accesses a central message store.

roach
9th Oct 2005, 18:06
Thanks for the prompt reply. If I send an e-mail to myself as you suggest so it can be picked up by the other PC how do I stop downloading it to the sending PC? I have forgotten how to leave messages on the server...done it before but completelly forgotten how!

Land After
9th Oct 2005, 23:16
1) Most email clients have an option to leave messages on the server after download - you could use this option in the slave.

2) If you have the chance, swap to an IMAP mail account - messages stay on the server until deleted and can be viewed by multiple clients

3) Buy a couple of Macs, subscribe to Dot Mac and let Apple keep your machines in sync!

Avtrician
10th Oct 2005, 11:13
With outlook its possible, with mozzila mail its easy to do. but only on one pc a ta time.

It takes a bit of fiddling to do it wit outlook, and hve done it. These days I use Mozzilla. with this you can set up the storage directory on a file server and away you go. still trying to share the address book