PDA

View Full Version : No Joy with joystick!

boeingbus2002
9th Oct 2005, 15:27
I have been trying to connect my microsoft sidewider joystick to my laptop. I dont have a game card/port but trying to use a usb/game port convertor. I still have no luck. Has anyone tried this or got any ideas?
cheers

Conan the Librarian
9th Oct 2005, 17:41
Guessing here, but there are external sound cards (some by Creative, who produce Audigy and Soundblaster) and whilst these may, or may not fix the problem, their website might be a good place to find a FAQ. Also fun if you are trying to crowbar 5.1 sound from the std stereo line out socket on many laptops.

Conan

shuttlebus
9th Oct 2005, 18:21
boeingbus2002,

Just to clarify... does your your joystick have USB plug or does it have a game-port plug?

I have a Sidewinder USB. The installation requires the software to be installed first and then it prompts you to plug in the joystick (The joys of plug and play, although most times it is more plug and pray :{ )

Suspect the gameport version may be the same.

If you can supply a few more details, may be we can sort this one.

Regards,

Shuttlebus.

boeingbus2002
9th Oct 2005, 22:05
shuttlebus,
it is a gameport version! I havent tried installin the software as yet...still trying to find the cd someplace, perhaps that will sort it.

As my laptop doesnt have the gameport i thought a simple usb/gamport convertor would do the trick!

Will keep u updated!

boeingbus2002
10th Oct 2005, 15:42
OK...
Found the CD but its for Windows 98 and not compatible with XP!
The microsoft site says they have stopped support for these "older" products;

Thats got me stumped now!

ORAC
10th Oct 2005, 15:57
What's the USB-gameport convertor manufacturer and model?

boeingbus2002
10th Oct 2005, 16:50
SITECOM!!
Some cheap thing from Maplins!

Conan the Librarian
10th Oct 2005, 17:57
Hope this isn't the mark one Sidewinder Farce Feedback Pro. Someone here had the same problem with a laptop a few moons ago. It transpired that he owned a very well built, quality paperweight.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

Conan

ORAC
10th Oct 2005, 20:13
Sitecom CN-108:

Q: Does this device support digital game devices.
A: This product does not support digital game devices.

There are no drivers or manuals available for this product.

shuttlebus
10th Oct 2005, 22:33
boeingbus2002,

Did you try to install the software? My joystick software was allegedly WIn98, but installed OK under Win2k and Win XP.

You also need to check that after you plug in your USB-Game Port converter (but before you install teh joystick software or plug it in) that you have a "Standard Game Port" showing in device manager.

In Control Panel (Classic View), double click administrative tools, then computer management. Choose device manager in the left hand pane and in the right pane, scroll sown to "Sound, video and game controllers". In the hierarchy, you should have a "Standard Game Port". If not, this is a non-starter.

However, unfortunately, ORAC and Conan may be correct. There may be no way for this to work at all.

Let me know how it pans out.

Regards,

Shuttlebus

Keef
10th Oct 2005, 23:16
As the man said, you have a nice paperweight.

Get thee to Ebay and purchase thyself a USB joystick. Something like a Saitek Evo would fill the bill and cost you around £15. You don't need the wireless one which costs more and eats batteries.

shuttlebus
12th Oct 2005, 19:48
Who called the Chaplain, it ain't dead yet!

Try this link for joystick software (and btw, I came across this by accident)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=97d044f9-6f55-4804-9cf0-f97c5d5f891b&displaylang=en

Regards,

Shuttlebus

Actually, just realised after positn you aren't running Win98....

However, maybe the link may help you find a driver for Win2k/XP

boeingbus2002
20th Oct 2005, 21:32
Looks like its had it!
The microsoft site says it does not support it for XP,
Might just get a cheapo one for now.
R I P!
:(

shuttlebus
24th Jan 2006, 19:32
Searching for a USB driver for a friend (who has no internet connection) and came across this site: -

http://www.usbman.com

Does all sorts of weird and wonderful USB patches and drivers including: -

Sidewinder v3.02

Link is: -

http://www.usbman.com/Drivers%20and%20Patches.htm#Microsoft%20Hardware%20Drivers

Possible a good resource for others with USB problems too.

Regards,

Shuttlebus