PDA

View Full Version : CPL(H) Dragon Helicopters.

augusta109e
9th Oct 2005, 08:31
Hi , I'm about to sign up with Dragon for my CPL(H) groundschool has anyone out there been on their course any replies or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Brilliant Stuff
9th Oct 2005, 12:56
I can only recommend Bristol Ground school.Since I did my training with them 10 years ago and whoever you ask they say they are the best.

I have met a couple of guys who have done the Dragon thing, and would recommend going to Bristol. That is all I can say.

I am pretty sure people will start soon giving some informed opinions.

Whirlygig
9th Oct 2005, 13:01
The thing is though, is that Bristol only do ATPL(H) 13 exams.

Dragon and Atlantic are the only two who do CPL(H) 9 exams. I believe that Dragon used Bristol though for the basis of their manuals.

These days one has to weigh up the probabilities of getting an IR within three years as to whether one goes for CPL/ATPL exams.

Cheers

Whirls

augusta109e
9th Oct 2005, 13:50
Thanks boys for the reply i assumme you are refering to Air Atlantique at coventry for the other groundschool you mentioned.

TheFlyingSquirrel
9th Oct 2005, 14:11
Strongly recommend you go to BGS - even if you don't do the extra ATPL subjects - Alex really has got the game by the :mad: !

VeeAny
9th Oct 2005, 16:25
TFS

I am not sure thats an option for the CPL(H). Last time I asked BGS approval was for the ATPL subjects not the CPL and although the CPL is a subset of the ATPL its not the same thing and they're not approved for it.

However having been through BGS I can say they are good at what they do !

V.

helicopter-redeye
9th Oct 2005, 17:22
I'm sure Bob The Dragon will come in with the definative answer at some point soon, but I thought the Dragon course was a licensed version of the BGS course, so if CPL is what you after, perm any one from two ....

h-r:)

augusta109e
9th Oct 2005, 19:48
thanks again boys I really appreciate your views and opinions n THANKS!!

Gerhardt
10th Oct 2005, 00:34
call her a boy again and Whirly might get a bit fiesty with you!:cool:

helicopter-redeye
10th Oct 2005, 19:47
.. but returning to the original question ...

Whirlygig
10th Oct 2005, 19:52
Call me "Whirly" again and I might get feisty ;) :ok:

Whirlygig = Whirls = Hovering AND talking

Whirlybird = Whirly = The Original Whirly

I read "the boys" comment and didn't bat an eyelid - I'd like to think I'm one of the lads and I don't expected to be treated (much) differently :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

TheFlyingSquirrel
11th Oct 2005, 15:05
KMS - I'm sure Ms Whirls will be inserting that into her lead balloon file ! :O

Whirlygig
11th Oct 2005, 15:52
Actually TFS, and appreciating that this is a thread hi-jack of almost biblical proportions, I took it as a compliment!

Cheers

Whirls

Whirlybird
11th Oct 2005, 17:04
I, on the other hand, object to anyone else being called Whirly, because I'm the ORIGINAL Whirly, and I'm also a GIRL. I don't in the least mind being one of the lads, but being called a boy is something different....now don't ask me why; it just is. And I may be little, but I can get feisty too.

Meanwhile, Whirls and I will continue with the thread hijacking.... :)

helicopter-redeye
11th Oct 2005, 22:01
Can ANYBODY answer the original q?

Whirlygig
11th Oct 2005, 23:29
I would suspect that, given this thread has degenerated into frivolous banter, NO!

I'm with AFT so couldn't answer the original question as such.

Cheers

Whirls

paco
12th Oct 2005, 02:22
To answer the original question:

They use a modified version of Bristol's notes (no CD), which are up to the usual standard. However, their location might not suit you - I would recommend going there and chatting to the instructors and maybe sitting in on a lecture or two to see if their style suits you ;). Costs are six of one between schools.

However, in the words of Yoda, "There is another....."

I know of a helicopter-specific course just about to undergo approval, which will eventually be online. The notes will likely be available beforehand. PM me if you want to be kept in touch.

Phil

PS - the syllabuses are different - the CPL(H) is of a higher standard than the CPL(A), though not, of course, as high as the ATP. Approvals are given for specific courses, which are not always easy to adapt.

helicopter-redeye
12th Oct 2005, 07:32
their location might not suit you

This bit fascinated me.

Almost all the ground school training (92%) in the UK is done in the South.

Most of the exam centres are in the South.

Somebody tries to spread the word "in the North" and the suverners think the "... location might not suit you.." (sir)

h-r:)

Stringfellow Dork
12th Oct 2005, 08:05
I am doing the course i.e. reading the notes, which are of good quality as far as I can tell (some good pictures/diagrams) - nothing to compare them too, you see. I have not yet been on a consilidation course so cannot comment. Email support is friendly and thorough. I would give them a thumbs up but then I am biased cos I am on the course and as of yet not been all the way through to completion!

Go see them and decide yourself I guess...

Any use?

170'
12th Oct 2005, 12:29
Paco/Phil

Sounds interesting! can you expand a little on the new GS starting up...

Thanks....170

paco
12th Oct 2005, 13:02
I didn't mean to cast nasturtiums on Sheffield - all I meant was that a local school is better, then you don't get involved in B & Bs etc. I know it would be a factor in my choice.

The new GS? I'm told it will be helicopter-specific and available in about as long as it takes to trundle through the system (realistically in about 6 months). The study material will not be from Bristol (nice though it is) and the instructors will be high timers with a lot of professional and practical knowledge (nutcases preferred).

The ultimate aim as I understand it would be to have the whole thing residential, i.e living and studying in the same place, but the market is small and it depends on demand.

Phil

augusta109e
12th Oct 2005, 15:58
Many thanks to everyoe who took the time and trouble to post a reply concerning my forthcoming groundschool selection after a lot of thought and consideration i have finally signed up with ...........................Wait for it !!!! Atlantic flight training at Coventry. Cheers everyone I'll keep you posted.

POMinOZ
12th Oct 2005, 23:39
My own experience of the dreaded theoretical side of aviation dictates that when choosing a college, experience is paramount, it' very easy to decide who to choose, just look at how long the college have been running thier courses.

:ok:

paco
13th Oct 2005, 04:57
But that's like saying that just because someone has loads of hours he's automatically a better pilot. They might have good notes and materials, but rubbish instructors

Phil