PDA

View Full Version : Terror fight risk

Tail_Wheel
9th Oct 2005, 08:05
Terror fight risk

Sunday Telegraph

Glenn Milne

October 9, 2005

The Federal Government's preparedness for a possible terrorist attack is once again under question amid claims that the head of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) is treating his $480,000-a-year position as a part-time job.

Bruce Byron has chosen to base himself in Melbourne, despite CASA's headquarters being in Canberra – close to the Prime Minister and senior ministers in the event of a terrorist incident.

CASA would be centrally involved were a plane to be hijacked or passengers taken hostage. In the event of a plane being crashed into a civilian target, CASA would be integral to the response.

CASA staff are in revolt over what they claim is Byron's consistent absence from the organisation's headquarters. They estimate he appears in Canberra only once a week.

When Byron took the job in late 2003, he had an office constructed at CASA's Moorabbin branch in Melbourne and installed a personal assistant. But six months later, the office was closed down and his PA was re-assigned.

Byron has no personal office at CASA's Little Collins St premises in Melbourne, and in Canberra he shares a PA with other senior staff members.

"From time to time, he pops into the Moorabbin and Little Collins St offices," a senior CASA source says.

"He appears in Canberra once a week. We also believe he works from home on the Mornington Peninsula. It's all extremely odd."

And extremely expensive. According to answers provided to Opposition transport spokesman Kerry O'Brien, taxpayers are bearing the brunt of Byron's decision not to base himself in Canberra.

For the period from December 1, 2003 to May 10 this year, he made 86 trips between Canberra and Melbourne.

The cost of travel for this period was $52,762, including air fares, taxi hire, car rental, parking and petrol costs. For the same period, Byron received a travel allowance of $16,318.

His total domestic travel costs for the period from December 1 2003, to April 30 this year were $106,682.

Senator O'Brien wants some answers: "It appears Mr Byron is effectively working part-time from his home in Melbourne. In the event of a major safety or security incident in Australia involving an aircraft, it would take half a day for Mr Byron to be on deck in the CASA head office.

"The Australian community needs to feel secure in the knowledge that if a terrorist incident involving an aircraft, or a major aviation accident, were to occur in this country, the key decision-makers would be available to immediately come together to deal with whatever has occurred."

How would Byron do this if an event caused the shutdown of aviation services, as occurred after the 9/11 attacks?

"CASA is being asked by the Government to cover more of its costs through industry charges – meaning that the industry is footing the bill for Mr Byron's lifestyle choice of working part-time from his Melbourne home.

"At a time when we are loading up the Australian civil aviation industry with more and more costs to ensure safety and security are protected, the question needs to be asked whether it is reasonable to expect the industry – and, ultimately, the travelling public – to foot the bill for Mr Byron's travel expenses and lifestyle choice."

A spokesman for the CASA CEO responded: "The fact Mr Byron is not based in Canberra was part of his original employment contract.

"He spends a lot of time in other CASA offices interstate. That's important, because it keeps him in touch in the field. He also travels around the country talking to the industry."

That's unlikely to satisfy Senator O'Brien. Byron's appearance before the next Senate estimates hearing should be fascinating.

The Sunday Telegraph

rmcdonal
9th Oct 2005, 08:46
Does any one else feel a little “disappointed” that he is being paid $480,000-a-year while the rest of us get maybe 1/12th of that (if your lucky)? Those numbers can't be right :{ :{ :{
And $52,762 travel exp. :yuk: :yuk: thats more then I make a year. :mad:

Pass-A-Frozo
9th Oct 2005, 09:19
Does any one else feel a little “disappointed” that he is being paid $480,000-a-year

No

Hugh Jarse
9th Oct 2005, 09:20
CASA would be centrally involved were a plane to be hijacked or passengers taken hostage. In the event of a plane being crashed into a civilian target, CASA would be integral to the response
So what would Fawlty Towers (Casa) do? Suspend the perpetrator's licence? Conduct a quick ramp check?
Give us a break. Casa would have little usefulness in such an event.
However, it's no excuse for Byron not being at the rockface daily. They should deduct the travelling expenses, etc from his gross. I bet you'd see him in CB a little more often :yuk:

currawong
9th Oct 2005, 09:26
Give him an Air Marshall badge.

Then at least we can get some mileage out of him when he commutes to .... (work?)

:E

Capn Bloggs
9th Oct 2005, 10:01
Give the guy a break. I'd prefer him NOT to be in the office: at least it sounds like he's out and about learning, observing and doing a bit of hands-on, which is more than can be said for some recent Chairmen of the Board.

Owwwh! Did I say that?! Spank Spank! :E

Point0Five
9th Oct 2005, 10:24
Does any one else feel a little “disappointed” that he is being paid $480,000-a-year
I believe that everybody should be payed exactly the same wage and that our country be known as the People's Democratic Republic of Australia. :hmm:

thats more then I make a year.
Perhaps you need to consider a change of career? At the very least, invest some money in learning about the role of the apostrophe.:ok:

Uncommon Sense
9th Oct 2005, 10:36
He is only taking his lead from Dear Leader Howard.

The Prime Minature had the arrogance to base himself and Her Royal Highness at Kirribilli.

How the fcuk much does that cost on travel and security?

Maybe it was negotiated as part of his 'WorkChoices' package. (speaking of a criminal waste of money)

Chronic Snoozer
9th Oct 2005, 10:45
What a beat-up. Where is the evidence that it is being treated like a 'part time' job? In this digital age what a load of poppycock, the guy is undoubtedly contactable 24/7 as required.

A spokesman for the CASA CEO responded: "The fact Mr Byron is not based in Canberra was part of his original employment contract. You don't say....:rolleyes:

Chimbu chuckles
9th Oct 2005, 12:48
Anyone else think perhaps Mr Byron maybe rattling the cages of the criminally incompetent and they might have decided to fight back by undermining the man?

Hell hath no fury like a Public Servent scorned.

Point0Five
9th Oct 2005, 13:12
The Prime Minature had the arrogance to base himself and Her Royal Highness at Kirribilli.
After even after a small bit of research you'll find that those travel costs are already imbedded into the contracted hours of the VIP fleet. Use or lose.

After all, he does live in his electorate. :cool:

Richo
9th Oct 2005, 13:27
Call me paroniod, yes you and the other hundred people over there watching me.

But Maybe its not just Public servants who are applying a little pressure to BB.

I mean, did we not see our beloved saviour DS, being a little unsavoury to BB in a post last week. Has DS worked out that if BB does not give the big sign off to NAS 2c, then its all over (again). Maybe a little subtle pressure (see what will happen if you don't) is occuring.

Anyhow like the song says "Pranioa paronioa, someones coming to get me"

Richo

Pass-A-Frozo
9th Oct 2005, 13:36
I'm only paranoid because everyone is out to get me :p

Mainframe
9th Oct 2005, 14:03
Chuckles,

the rattling of cages or similar was alluded to in the "CASA Reply" thread, although not as well put as your post.

That he's under attack from within appears to be beyond doubt,
he didn't wield the axe hard enough or long enough after the earlier revolt that led to some sackings.

It's ok being paranoid if you know who is trying to get you.

It's serious being paranoid if you don't know who is trying to get you!

Let's hope it's not serious.

Pass a frozo, that's the real type.

pullock
9th Oct 2005, 14:09
Gosh Darn it now the terrizm card is being played to get public servants to live where the powers that be want them to.

I wonder where we will next see the terrizm card played. Perhaps we simply won't be safe withoug a national identity card, or national ckeck points on major highways, or the new hitler youth.

Is there anything that terrizm can't be an excuse for ???

This is simply too silly to have been made a sticky, but then i do realise that the topic here is terrizm.

Woomera
9th Oct 2005, 14:31
This is simply too silly to have been made a sticky, but then i do realise that the topic here is terrizm.

That may be so but we didn't write the article and we thought PPRuNers may have something constructive to add to what to all intents and purposes is a very personal and cleverly crafted beat up of a senior public servant who has no effective means of reply, using "information" supplied by a senior CASA source.

Pass-A-Frozo
9th Oct 2005, 14:40
a senior CASA source

Probably someone who hates Canberra and is jelously wishing he/her could move to Melbourne [god knows why, it's not like the weather is much better :p ]

As for terrorism:

Senator Chris Evans [ALP, WA] did say this week :

if you go through the list of where there's been attacks, New Zealand looks like the only safe haven.

gaunty
9th Oct 2005, 14:57
It's pretty lousy jornalism besides.

It's not news it's an op-ed piece which appeared in the Sunday Times in Perth and I guess syndicated throughout the News Ltd Sunday tabloids or vice versa.

The Sunday Times is only good for "I was taken by an Alien Sex Goddess", the footy results and the weekly stars.

It has the smell of an article written by one of Sen O'Briens flacks with information fed by one his CASA mates and turned over to the media flacks who use it as a tabloid filler.

They are aiming at the wrong person, it was the Minister and the Government who negotiated the terms and conditions of his employment and to whom he reports. If you have a problem with that, then that is where you need to go complain.

Mr Milne knows that, but hey it's a good beat up for the chattering classes to consume over their Sunday morning breakfasts, before they go to the kids footy.:rolleyes:

Sexual Chocolate
9th Oct 2005, 19:22
Let's see now, what was it that johhny said? Hmm something about hating our way of life and what we stand for and our free and democratic country. Strange, seems that NZ is much like OZ in that respect.

But wait a minute, could it possibly be that NZ are one of the few who refuse entry to US nuclear warships, who don't go trekking to the other side of the globe to wage economic wars under the guise of spreading love and peace and democracy, who don't have invasive foreign policies or bargain silence at the UN for rights to the timor gap or weapons deals with the suharto government?

Naah, i'm sure it's just cos they're so out of the way and no one gives a damn about them.....

On the 480K thing well, who really cares? Presuming he was only working a 20 hour week, spend a week working in a PS Department and pretty soon you'll realise that's small cookies.

morning mungrel
10th Oct 2005, 01:43
Sorry SC, common misconception there. Un Zud contributed "assets" to both Afghanistan and Iraq. Not as obvious as our own of course......

The Bullwinkle
10th Oct 2005, 02:09
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!!! :E

Sexual Chocolate
11th Oct 2005, 03:31
Morning Mongrel - I was totally unaware of this. Know anywhere where the details are documented? (web / media or otherwise?)

Cheers
SC

Hempy
12th Oct 2005, 11:49
Know anywhere where the details are documented? (web / media or otherwise?)

APN (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0WDQ/is_2003_June_16/ai_103396413)

Genghis the Engineer
14th Oct 2005, 21:36
Having met the fellow once when he was in the UK on business, I can only say that I'd rather be dealing with a national authority run by Mr Byron than by, say, Sir Malcolm Field!

Come to think of it, why as a senior manager in a UK major GA player have I had the CE of CASA come and ask my opinions, but nobody above 4 layers of management below that do the same from UK CAA? Is it possibly that CASA actually realises that GA is important - good one Bruce!

G