PDA

View Full Version : Balpa

lancaster52
8th Oct 2005, 20:26
Does anyone have a view on the British Airways Line Pilots Association and whether it is any good for GA bods. I've been thinking of joining either that or the Ittle Pilots Association but am told it won't help the guys in smaller outfits or one plane operations.

TiroP
8th Oct 2005, 20:39
Better check on that acronym, Lanc.

Are you new around here?

:yuk:

redsnail
8th Oct 2005, 21:22
Nope, I reckon he has BALPA pretty well spot on. (And I am a member of BALPA)

TiroP
8th Oct 2005, 21:24
Oops. Silly me!

:O

Baron Von Mildred
8th Oct 2005, 21:28
Its not just trade dispute representation that counts. I joined Balpa because they can also represent you in the (God forbid) accident investigation situation or CAA prosecutions.... which are not always well founded.

lancaster52
9th Oct 2005, 11:57
I heard it can be very expensive. Does anyone actually KNOW what the fees are ?

Mr Wonka
9th Oct 2005, 13:50
They are expensive and when i needed them complete useless. I was better advised from a walk in legal centre. They seem to be far to interested in BA and pension schemes.

But its up to you !

Mr W

lancaster52
9th Oct 2005, 21:11
Thats exactly what I was warned off about.

checklist69
9th Oct 2005, 21:39
Lanc, was it you who left the fuel cap dangling off the XL? And then continued to JSY with a trashed engine? And who THEN flew the aircraft to BOH?

Just wondered ...

:mad: wit

lancaster52
10th Oct 2005, 10:06
Not possible. Got back from 10 months working in US two weeks ago. What does this have to do with BALPA?

checklist69
10th Oct 2005, 10:25
.... it's just that the guy concerned may be seeking a bit of legal advice ...

:(

lancaster52
10th Oct 2005, 10:34
No worries.. seems like BALPA would not be a good place to look.

TFE731
10th Oct 2005, 11:01
BLAPA take 1% of your gross pay. It’s expensive if you never need them but can be invaluable if you do. You can get cheaper loss of licence insurance through them if you are a member, this will offset some of the cost. You can also claim back some of the fees as tax relief.
I understand the while G.A. trade disputes may not be their strongest side they are very good in the area of medical and C.A.A. problems.
I’m a member and I’m not planning to leave them.

TFE731

Flintstone
10th Oct 2005, 16:59
Lanc, was it you who left the fuel cap dangling off the XL? And then continued to JSY with a trashed engine? And who THEN flew the aircraft to BOH?

Bit strong checklist 69?

checklist69
10th Oct 2005, 18:40
Maybe.

But needed to ask the question.

'69

lancaster52
13th Oct 2005, 18:35
What about IPA ? Is that any better.?

Flintstone
13th Oct 2005, 19:40
What about IPA ? Is that any better.?

If we're talking IPA as in the brewery, of course it is :}

185 Lbs of Ballast!!
17th Oct 2005, 07:08
I have been a member of the IPA for 10 years and I have to sy a big :ok: for them. They are very in-expensiive and very efficient if you ever need any advice etc.

They have legal cover through Abbey Legal and discounted LOL insurance.

I was also a member of BALPA for a few years and that was also quite cheap as they were not a representative for the company so the 1% didn't apply. When I left to join a company whose contract was not written under Engish law; they said they would not be able to help me legaly. I left.

I believe that they have been a big help to crews and potential crews at Monarch as they have been negotiating on their behalf. So it's not all BA. I'm off to an airline soon and not sure if it's worth the 1%. I think i'll sit with the IPA:ok:

Blu2
17th Oct 2005, 17:58
Probably worth doing if/when you're Captain, more responsibilty and all... Thats what I did anyway. Never had to use them so far though so not sure how useful they'd be, still a good feeling to have their legal advice if needs be I reckon.
Blu

A Sayers
19th Oct 2005, 09:34
Is BALPA worth it?
You may have read articles in Scottish national papers last year, in Private Eye last month and in BALPA's 'Professional Affairs Update' concerning me. The 'facts' in the press are of course not totally correct, but almost so. In due course you may meet me outside various Scottish Airports continuing to attempt to make my former employer acknowledge that it is not acceptable (or legal) to use hazardous chemicals without complying with safety regulations. ("Because the chemical was purchased locally it byepassed the companies procurement procedures ... risk assesment not done until after...." - CEO's letter, did not issue correct protective clothing - Enginering Superintendent's email)
When my accident happend and I was subjected to no less than four seperate investigations by my airline over seven months 'on my decisions' after I had been incapacitated in flight - I found the support of professional BALPA officials priceless. Robin, Chris and Mick thank you.
The legal actions are nearly ending their fourth year with no sign of closure. Management have been described by the courts however as "unbelievable, untruthful, not genuine, incompetant and maladministration". I was described as "a stickler for correct procedures and proper protocols" and "cool and composed under rigerous cross examination".
Although BALPA have let me down of late I am very grateful for the generous support I have received in the past. Their only failing is in leaving me out on a limb/poor communications after I was dismissed - stress/demorilisation requires professional support, the BALPA Pilots Help line just doesn't do the job.
Is it worth joining BALPA for pilots in GA? I would say so. Its true I was flying for a small airline, and I was injured while operating a scheduled BA service. The nature of the operation is more akin to GA though. The odds of having your employer behave as mine did, even destroying my personal belongings and falsely accusing me of theft is remote. It does happen to some people however and then you really need BALPA. Think of it as a form of life insurance. Glenn Stewart's suicide was incomprehensible to me until I was made the scapegoat for managerial neglect. Thanks to BALPA, friends and fellow pilots I am unlikely to choose Glenn's route, though it has been very tough over the last few years.
I commend BALPA to you.
Andy Sayers.

janusz
20th Oct 2005, 04:57
Lancaster 52,

I returned to GA after several years in the dreary world of airline flying.

BALPA (British Airline Pilots Association) has helped me resolve problems encountered in both airline and GA flying. BALPA also has the clout to actually get you out of trouble should you find yourself in deep doodoo - always possible in these 'grey' areas we sometimes find ourselves in.

You can also get some good deals on various other bits and pieces as a member.

New members get a reduced rate for the first couple of years then it goes up to 1% of your gross salary. Expensive but I claim the subscriptions on my tax return and get away with it.

Worth it? Absolutely!

lancaster52
25th Oct 2005, 19:16
Thanks for such a complete and full response.